President Obama's 23 orders concerning firearms

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
America has been doomed since 1777.

This. Founders did all they could to delay what they knew to be inevitable, hence all the seperation of powers, checks and balances, etc. Made it as hard as possible to prevent people from fucking it up.

"A republic, if you can keep it..."

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
The pro-gun I've always seen are basically of the view that

1) Do not limit my access to anything because I'm not a homicidal nut case
2) Limit access to homicidal nutcases

Every time a crazy fuck does something crazy it threatens access to weapons by the non-crazies.

Most of what I saw on Obama's list seems like a decent idea. I have no idea how much of it, if any of it, will truly help, but seriously there really are no major penalties for straw purchases? Shameful. IMO, you're an arms trafficker if you're knowingly buying a gun for somebody who would fail a background check and that shit must be punished harshly.

What isn't on his list, which is less likely to help, is banning weapons based on how they look or how many rounds in a mag. He does want congress to do this, though. It's unlikely to do anything at all.

Ensuring background checks are done on all legal gun purchases certainly seems like it would limit access to guns to crazies only, since the majority of gun murders are by people who didn't even get it legally (I think I saw that pie chart on wiki).

What he's outlined I don't think is a problem for pretty much all gun owners. What he wants to do (limit AR and mags) is, and it won't help.

The research is a good idea, knowledge is power and research should always be expanded in important issues.

Every time I go to buy a gun or ammo at a store I see the big black signs that state if you buy a gun for someone who can't, that's 10 years in prison. I've seen those signs in Idaho, Colorado and New Mexico. I figured they were Federal laws and not State laws.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The list of 23 is pretty benign really, and I'm a very pro-2nd-amendment guy. Not that I think it will help much, but neither is this tyranny or any of the overheated bullshit that you hear constantly.

OTOH, the 'suggestions' to congress regarding so-called 'assault' weapons, the FURTHER limitations for law-abiding firearms owners in terms of magazine capacity, and the increased import restrictions are all worrisome. Those kinds of actions are counterproductive to the stated goals of preventing tragedy and making things safer. Bad guys will still do whatever they want, that's what they do, and responsible owners will be nerfed in capability and freedom.

I heard a great interview with a SWAT commander on the radio the other day. His last shooting incident happened when the murder suspect he was attempting to arrest fired on him and his officers, hitting two of them. They returned fire with something in the range of 60+ shots, but less than 5 actually struck him, and he was still able to pull a 2nd weapon and blow his brains out before they could get to him. SIXTY shots and a tiny fraction hit him. Bad guys don't necessarily stand in front of you with their arms out, waiting for a nice center mass training-style experience. They use cover, are firing on you, and 10 rounds is pretty weak if the guy you're going up against has multiple weapons and/or magazines.

Stupidly enough, it might actually make things safer if the bad guys had full-auto weapons. I've fired full auto weapons, and in anything but the most expert hands, it's a detriment in accuracy and deadly effect. An M16 or AK47 will empty its magazine in an incredibly quick burst, with little accuracy and leaving them dry of ammo. Semi auto lets them reset their aim for each shot.

Nov 30, 2006
I wonder how long it will take until we see a noticeable dip in murders or mass shootings? I won't hold my breath.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Your in Madison Wi the deer hunting capital of WI and I would bet almost 80% of homes have the weapons we are talking about. Do you feel unsafe, are you willing to make all the people we are talking about that have never been in any trouble ever law breakers?

lol, Madison may be in Wisconsin but it's definitely not the deer hunting capital. I'd wager that Madison has the least armed population % in the state. If you are south of HWY 60 in Wisconsin you might as well be part of Illinois... :D

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Very well played by Obama, let Biden say there will be some executive orders coming, let that stew the gun nights into a rabid frenzy, then when the EOs come they are incredibly benign and something the NRA already advocates. It makes the gun nuts look terrible and even the NRA put its foot in its mouth during the wait.

So, rather that using this as a means to unite the country, obama does what a community organizer does best - pit one side against the other, divide and conquer. This is why so many people are sick of politicians and why many on the right don't trust obama. Let's use a good crisis to play games and make the other guy look bad, which is exactly what you're crediting obama with doing. Using the kids as stage props was classic theater.

Who cares that there are people concerned about a constitutional right. It's not a right that the left cares about, so let's go ahead and try and manipulate things to make the undesirables look bad. Marginalize them so that the next step is easier as the sheep will demand more. Libs are masters of incrementalism. As I've said in another post, I'd love to see what the left would do if the shoe was on the other foot and they felt threatened about a right they held dear, such as abortion.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And not a single one of those would have done anything to stop any single mass shooting on record.

Would not have totally stopped but in the Giffords shooting they were able to stop the guy when he had to reload. With 10 round clip fewer people would have died.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Very well played by Obama, let Biden say there will be some executive orders coming, let that stew the gun nights into a rabid frenzy, then when the EOs come they are incredibly benign and something the NRA already advocates. It makes the gun nuts look terrible and even the NRA put its foot in its mouth during the wait.
So, rather that using this as a means to unite the country, obama does what a community organizer does best - pit one side against the other, divide and conquer. This is why so many people are sick of politicians and why many on the right don't trust obama. Let's use a good crisis to play games and make the other guy look bad, which is exactly what you're crediting obama with doing. Using the kids as stage props was classic theater. ...
:D

This is why people like you two are irrelevant. There is literally nothing Obama might do that would meet your approval. When he does something you oppose, it's further proof he's a ebil commie America-hating Kenyan. When he does something you find reasonable, it's merely his diabolical plot to trick you. Never mind that this whole furor about Biden's comment was entirely invented by the right wing propaganda mill, and eagerly and uncritically swallowed by the usual dupes of the lunatic fringe. You are the ones pitting one side against the other, and you are pathetic.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
Would not have totally stopped but in the Giffords shooting they were able to stop the guy when he had to reload. With 10 round clip fewer people would have died.

You state that as if it were an absolute. Six people were killed. 10 rounds are certainly capable of killing six people.