Preschooler’s Homemade Lunch Replaced with Cafeteria “Nuggets”

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011
which accomplishes nothing as the kid is just going to eat the twinkie and coke, perhaps in addition to the chicken nuggets. i know it, you know it, and school administrators know it.

i finished the article. my post was pointing out a flaw in the regulation, that one could pack as healthy or healthier than the regulation, but get their food supplemented with less healthy (or downright unhealthy) food. food for thought.

Well, that's a flaw in the policy but it does not mean that the underlying goal of the policy is something that should be entirely disregarded. I don't know why the school served chicken nuggets to the child and I disagree with a government policy that advocates for better nutrition that serves chicken nuggets as the source for protein.

Regarding your first statement. The point isn't that the child will eat the Twinkie and drink the Coke but that the child should have additional nutrients to supplement what he / she is eating. As an extreme example, if the child's parents only gave the child food that was completely void of vitamin C and this caused the child to get scurvy, would it not be beneficial to supplement the child with at least the basic nutrients he or she needs to be healthy?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You're right! We found a case where things didn't go according to plan, better cancel all school nutrition activities!

I have no idea why an anecdote would be proof of a program being bad. This is (once again), why anecdotal evidence is terrible.

I didnt pass any judgement on whether to cancel the program in my reply. I am pointing out the obvious conclusion to allowing the govt to decide what kids should be eating. People enforcing it will make stupid mistakes like telling a child a healthy meal isnt and then feed them chicken nuggets.

That said now I am making a judgement on this program. I think this is an example of many where our school system is doing things it shouldnt be doing. Why are we paying people to look and decide if food from home is good enough?

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I didnt pass any judgement on whether to cancel the program in my reply. I am pointing out the obvious conclusion to allowing the govt to decide what kids should be eating. People enforcing it will make stupid mistakes like telling a child a healthy meal isnt and then feed them chicken nuggets.

That said now I am making a judgement on this program. I think this is an example of many where our school system is doing things it shouldnt be doing. Why are we paying people to look and decide if food from home is good enough?

I sincerely doubt that person's entire job is to inspect kids' food. It is probably one duty among many, so whatever fiscal outlays are needed in that regard are likely quite small (if they exist at all)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Well, that's a flaw in the policy but it does not mean that the underlying goal of the policy is something that should be entirely disregarded. I don't know why the school served chicken nuggets to the child and I disagree with a government policy that advocates for better nutrition that serves chicken nuggets as the source for protein.
exactly. i agree with the goal of "children:eat healthier" but it seems the policy is the same old "subsidize dairy" or "subsidize industrial chicken production." if the policy at all encourages a mostly healthy packed lunch to be supplemented with rather unhealthy things like chicken nuggets then it needs reworking. and depending on its effectiveness may need scrapped.

Regarding your first statement. The point isn't that the child will eat the Twinkie and drink the Coke but that the child should have additional nutrients to supplement what he / she is eating. As an extreme example, if the child's parents only gave the child food that was completely void of vitamin C and this caused the child to get scurvy, would it not be beneficial to supplement the child with at least the basic nutrients he or she needs to be healthy?
no argument there. but if we're going by the policy the kid is also getting chicken nuggets and a box of sugar laden milk to round out the meat and dairy requirement.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
My blood sugar medication is an amphetamine. It's used to raise my blood sugar because I have severe hypoglycemia. I literally cannot drive a car if I'm hungry.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Dun dun dun. So basically that stuff nutrition experts have been saying for the past 900 years is true. There is no bad food. The reason you get fat and sick is because god hates you. Read your bible.

Losing weight on a Twinkie diet doesn't mean "there is no bad food". Twinkies have no nutritional value.

Nov 30, 2006
The irony here is that this 4 year old girl had only three chicken nuggets for lunch that day thinking there was something wrong with the lunch her Mother packed for her. Wonder what gave her that idea?

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
There seems to be a consensus (almost) here that this was just an employee misapplying policy.

I have a problem with the policy itself - if it states that the school can interfere with how a parent feeds a child, if it states that a school employee is allowed to undermine a parent's right to determine the child's diet, and if it states that the employee is allowed to talk to the child and point out 'problems' in his/her food.

When did we sign away our right to eat food we like? The government can recommend but when did it become authorized to regulate? Show me a plate of food as dictated by the fed, and I can point out issues with it right away.

We are vegetarian, and I've heard some comments on how our diet may not be nutritious for 'growing children'. Well, I grew right thru that same diet, and today and far healthier than anybody else I knew : the last I was to a doctor (other than annual checkups) was in my teens, 25 years ago. My kids are around 10 years old, and they only have been to their dentist in the past 5 years. Yes, since 2007, once they grew out of their infant stages, they have not needed any medicines! Okay, that may not all be because of our diet (an active open-air lifestyle helps too), but it's part of it. The day my child comes home having eaten chicken at school at the directive of an 'official' is when the school board faces a lawsuit.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
There seems to be a consensus (almost) here that this was just an employee misapplying policy.

I have a problem with the policy itself - if it states that the school can interfere with how a parent feeds a child, if it states that a school employee is allowed to undermine a parent's right to determine the child's diet, and if it states that the employee is allowed to talk to the child and point out 'problems' in his/her food.

When did we sign away our right to eat food we like? The government can recommend but when did it become authorized to regulate? Show me a plate of food as dictated by the fed, and I can point out issues with it right away.

We are vegetarian, and I've heard some comments on how our diet may not be nutritious for 'growing children'. Well, I grew right thru that same diet, and today and far healthier than anybody else I knew : the last I was to a doctor (other than annual checkups) was in my teens, 25 years ago. My kids are around 10 years old, and they only have been to their dentist in the past 5 years. Yes, since 2007, once they grew out of their infant stages, they have not needed any medicines! Okay, that may not all be because of our diet (an active open-air lifestyle helps too), but it's part of it. The day my child comes home having eaten chicken at school at the directive of an 'official' is when the school board faces a lawsuit.

Why would you not take your kids to the dentist for 5 years? They could have gum disease and things like that, and you'd have no idea.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Preschooler’s Homemade Lunch Replaced with Cafeteria “Nuggets”

State agent inspects sack lunches, forces preschoolers to purchase cafeteria food instead

The girl’s mother — who said she wishes to remain anonymous to protect her daughter from retaliation — said she received a note from the school stating that students who did not bring a “healthy lunch” would be offered the missing portions, which could result in a fee from the cafeteria, in her case $1.25.

“I don't feel that I should pay for a cafeteria lunch when I provide lunch for her from home,” the mother wrote in a complaint to her state representative, Republican G.L. Pridgen of Robeson County.

It is unclear whether the school was allowed to charge for the cafeteria lunches they gave to every preschooler in the class that day.

The state regulation reads:

“Sites must provide breakfast and/or snacks and lunch meeting USDA requirements during the regular school day. The partial/full cost of meals may be charged when families do not qualify for free/reduced price meals.

“When children bring their own food for meals and snacks to the center, if the food does not meet the specified nutritional requirements, the center must provide additional food necessary to meet those requirements.”

Still, Kozlowski said, the parents shouldn’t have been charged.

“The school may have interpreted [the rule] to mean they felt like the lunch wasn’t meeting the nutritional requirements and so they wanted the child to have the school lunch and then charged the parent,” she said. “It sounds like maybe a technical assistance need for that school.”

The school principal, Jackie Samuels, said he didn’t “know anything about” parents being charged for the meals that day. “I know they eat in the cafeteria. Whether they pay or not, they eat in the cafeteria.”

Pridgen’s office is looking into the issue.

Excellent

Another step in the new Revolution that has begun in America.

Add up the pieces folks.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Excellent

Another step in the new Revolution that has begun in America.

Add up the pieces folks.

The only thing revolting around here is the display of stupidity you put on daily.

Honestly, I'm sure that I'm not the only one tired of your thread bombing "ze plane, ze plane! The revolution, the revolution" every chance you get.

STFU already.

and for the rest of you..smiles everyone, smiles....

OHPhD.jpg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
"Run smoothly" and "look normal" are not the same thing. You may have noticed that vegans always look like this:
skinny-guy.jpg

They're perfectly healthy, but they look like little girly men.

Men who eat meat tend to look like this
testosterone_man.jpg

Forget about his perfectly chiseled abs and manly good looks. Look at how wide his shoulders are compared to his waist. That is what proper nutrition does. High fat = sexay.

I would post a picture of a female with wide hips but I don't want to do that on a work computer. In our closet gay western society, it's more acceptable to look at half naked men than it is to look at half naked women. I can't decide if the rules are more pro-gay or anti-straight.

high-fat != sexay, nor does it equal proper nutrition. Sculpted physiques take various amounts of dieting and discipline. again, completely based on genetics. Those guys you see in competitions take in enormous amounts of protein, not fat.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
from the article

"“With a turkey sandwich, that covers your protein, your grain, and if it had cheese on it, that’s the dairy,” said Jani Kozlowski, the fiscal and statutory policy manager for the division. “It sounds like the lunch itself would’ve met all of the standard.” The lunch has to include a fruit or vegetable, but not both, she said."

sounds like the op didnt read the article as the state is in agreement with the parents and this was some rogue agent at work.

The important thing to note is that the parent has the ability to contest this and there is publicity over the misuse of this rule or whatever it is.

Oct 16, 1999
Local article:
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10731857/

"What is supposed to happen is the teacher is supposed to go over and get the missing item, which I'm assuming was milk in this case, and offer it to the child," Barnes said. "The child can take it or not take it."

But the girl wound up getting put in the lunch line to get a full lunch, Barnes said.

"I don't know whether the child was confused. I don't know whether the teacher gave poor direction. I don't know, but again, that child thought she had to go through the line," he said. "If there's a mistake, that's our mistake."

Still, the grandmother said the school overstepped its authority.

"I want you stay out of my lunchboxes, government," she said. "You cannot stick your nose in that."

Assistant superintendent acknowledging and taking responsibility for the mistake and grandma raging against the gubment.