Preparing for 4K

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm considering going to a 4K display sometime in the next year, probably a 75+" because our room setup dictates not less than about a 10' viewing distance. So it's going to cost some $$$. At first I thought my aging A/V receiver, a Yamaha RX-V1600, should be changed first since it's the switching hub of the whole outfit right now for two consoles and an HTPC. But looking at what has to be spent to maintain the current level of amplifier power necessary for our large open plan room has made me pause. Going that route will cut pretty far into the TV budget and/or make me wait longer to buy. Though an extra remote is not really welcome, I'm wondering about an external HDMI switch, one that will also break audio out separately. Most of the ones that pop up in searches look a bit cheesy though, so I'm leery to do this without hearing from someone with experience with them. Any ideas for me?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Well there's a pretty big gulf between a $1600 receiver and a $10 HDMI switch...it all depends on how much you are willing to spend, functionality you are looking for, and what type of decor you are trying to achieve.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm willing to spend money, but I would rather do it wisely. When we went from component to HDMI, I bought the RX-V1600, and was ready to move up in a similar way again, but I've been balking a bit at the price tags this time around because not only am I a bit more dollar conscious these days, but the old Yamaha has really fine audio performance and it really seems a waste to cast it aside because it can't switch 4K. I think a few hundred would be max before just looking into a good deal on a replacement receiver though.

Functionality-wise, I want to switch at least three sources, with audio being broken out and always going to the receiver. It ought to have a remote. Audio and video signal quality must be pristine.

Decor, well, I know a switch probably won't likely be pretty. Ideally I'd have it be long, thin, and lean like a 1U network switch that could be placed atop the HTPC, that would make it pretty much disappear into the setup. Most of the ones I've seen are clunky little boxes that are small, yet look like they'd stick out. Aesthetics are not necessarily a deal killer though.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
bite the bullet and get the receiver
for 4k you will need the hdcp 2.2 compliant switch
they are hard to find, and not very cheap
and not very reliable

since there is very little 4k out there, you wont need anything anytime soon

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Relatives bought a entry level Samsung TV with only 2 inputs no CEC. Bought them a Monoprice $20 HDMI CEC switcher with a remote. Holy hell, it worked better than their old Samsung TV which was not entry level. It does auto-switch between the last input it sees a 'new' signal from and I swear I even think it outright added CEC support. I do not live with them to fiddle with their settings, but they're beyond happy. I think you can live with that until you're ready to buy a receiver.

Receiver's feature sets change much more frequently than before. Yes, firmware updates help, but A/V companies' strength isn't continued software support, so I recommend buying when you're ready.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Get yourself an Oppo 203 UHD Blu ray player. Run the HDMI video out to the new TV and HDMI audio to your Yamaha. It has an HDMI pass through you can run your HTPC into if you are going to bump it to 4k. Keep you old 1080p devices running through your receiver.

I'm running the Oppo to a LG OLED and a Yamaha RX-V1800. Basically the same situation you are in. I don't use the Oppo's pass through feature though. No need to upgrade if you are not going to go full on Atmos.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@razel , I need to break the audio out of HDMI to get it to the receiver, or have 2 outputs be active at once to feed both TV and receiver. Perhaps a simple splitter would work, but I don't know.

@Crotulus , Well, I have the consoles to think about, too, so I think I would still need more switching capability?

I mean, I guess it could work with the Oppo being set to the passthru, and the consoles still being connected to the receiver... Hmm...

No, the HTPC needs direct access to the TV. Need to think about this.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
@Crotulus , Well, I have the consoles to think about, too, so I think I would still need more switching capability?

I mean, I guess it could work with the Oppo being set to the passthru, and the consoles still being connected to the receiver... Hmm...

No, the HTPC needs direct access to the TV. Need to think about this.

Run the HTPC to the TV. Check the optical out of the tv. Some will send only 2 channel back out others will send out 5.1. What consoles are you running? PS4 Pro through the Oppo for now. Xbox One X doesn't come out until fall... gives you time to save for a new receiver for proper switching. Maybe gives you a chance to hold off for HDMI 2.1 in the receiver to be ahead of the game. LOL at getting ahead of things in tech. Regular PS4, Xbox 1, Switch should run fine through your receiver like they do now. TV will upscale them to 4k.

List all your sources.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I have an LG UHD player and an Nvidia Shield. Run both to TV and then ARC to an older Yamaha receiver. So I get 4K HDR along with surround sound. Works great as a bandaid until I get around to the receiver.

Keep in mind not all TV's do ARC as well as another so research how well the models you are considering work if you choose this route. I have a Vizio P65.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, after looking at images of the back panels of some TVs under consideration, I was wondering what (ARC) was, and it turns out to be a partial solution to my problems. I think what it means is if I can find a TV with enough inputs, it can take over switching duties completely.

Edit:
Sources:
HTPC
PS4
Wii (I know, but they still like it)

To be added:
UHD Blu Ray player

Last edited:

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Sources:
HTPC
PS4
Wii (I know, but they still like it)

I'd keep your current receiver for a awhile since you are really not running any 4k sources. Get the Oppo for UHD BD and try running the HTPC through it and see how it goes. Or run the HTPC straight to the TV and either optical or Arc back to the receiver. Hold off on the receiver until you have enough sources to make it worthwhile. If the Oppo is a bit much I think most of the UHD BD players have dual outputs to split the audio and video.

The Wii is awesome. But I'm a Nintendo junkie so what do I know. Our Wii became a Wii U which has now turned into a Switch. The Wii U moved to the bedroom for the kids to play alongside my old Gamecube.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'd keep your current receiver for a awhile since you are really not running any 4k sources. Get the Oppo for UHD BD and try running the HTPC through it and see how it goes. Or run the HTPC straight to the TV and either optical or Arc back to the receiver. Hold off on the receiver until you have enough sources to make it worthwhile. If the Oppo is a bit much I think most of the UHD BD players have dual outputs to split the audio and video.

The Wii is awesome. But I'm a Nintendo junkie so what do I know. Our Wii became a Wii U which has now turned into a Switch. The Wii U moved to the bedroom for the kids to play alongside my old Gamecube.
Am I mistaken to presume that 4K content can be had through the HTPC?

Also I should have added the UHD Blu-Ray player, I'm going to edit my post to reflect that.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Am I mistaken to presume that 4K content can be had through the HTPC?

Also I should have added the UHD Blu-Ray player, I'm going to edit my post to reflect that.

The HTPC can push through 4k content. It sounds like the only 2 sources you'll have for 4k are the UHD BD and HTPC. Although I believe 4k Netflix requires a Kaby Lake processor.

So system hookup with the Oppo could be:

2 HDMI cables to TV
Oppo - HDMI 1 to TV for video, HDMI 2 to Yamaha for audio.
HTPC - HDMI to HDMI in of Oppo (The Oppo will pass through 4k but not sure on HDR)
PS4 - HDMI to current receiver
Wii - Component to current receiver
Yamaha - HDMI to TV

Other UHD Player:

3 HDMI cables to TV plus one Optical (if needed)

UHD BD - Same as Oppo above (most have dual output)
HTPC - HDMI to TV, ARC or Optical back to receiver
PS4 and Wii - Same as above
Yamaha - HDMI to TV, ARC or Optical return from TV for audio

Either way you can hold off a bit on the receiver until you upgrade to PS4 Pro or XBox X

Reactions: crashtech

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Is it okay for me to necro my own thread? If not, my apologies! I still have not done anything. It looks like Oppo is no longer making anything, and used examples are very expensive! Looking at the prices of electronics in general, this might be a terrible time to be re-considering my 4K upgrade.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is it okay for me to necro my own thread? If not, my apologies! I still have not done anything. It looks like Oppo is no longer making anything, and used examples are very expensive! Looking at the prices of electronics in general, this might be a terrible time to be re-considering my 4K upgrade.
Necroing your own thread because it is still a valid situation is the most valid type of necro there is

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
After looking around, it seems that modern higher end TVs have enough switching capability to meet my needs. Meanwhile, the spousal unit has rearranged the furniture and further increased our viewing distance to over 11 feet. So, the good news is that I can use my old A/V receiver. The bad news is that I now need an 88+ inch TV. :tearsofjoy:

I think we might have to have a talk .