Preferred Projects

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I recently came into posession of 4 pretty decent machines and get free electric from the guy I'm renting so I've been leaving them on all the time crunching seti...joined team anandtech for the time being but wondering if there is a more prefered project around these parts that these cycles could be dedicated to?

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
I'm personally a big fan of F@H. But it all depends on what you're interested in dedicating your clock cycles to. If you want to look for aliens, pulsars, prime numbers, understanding cancer, or the landscape of the internet, it's all for a good cause.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Welcome Drakkon :)

Glad to see your interest in DC. As BobDaMenkey said, it all depends on what you're interested in.
We're in the process of updating both of these threads, but take a look at our "Welcome" thread & the BOINC project thread.

Here's the link to my updated "Welcome" thread too. There is some differenty projects than listed in th current "Welcome" thread. Like i said, we're in the middle of updating that now so it's not complete yet. Just scroll down to the bottom half of my 1st post.

I'm sure you'll find something you'll like. Let us know if you have any question.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm kinda split on recommending something other than SETI as I wouldn't want any power lost there ;) ,however if you are going to try another project you might want to give DPAD a try.
DPAD= Distributed Particle Accelorator Design ,if your interested in sub atomic physics then check out the DPAD site here
Oh also the active TA DPAD team is very small atm ,about a dozen members so we could really use all the help we can get ,oh & with any decent rig you'll shoot up the ranks ;)

But at the end of the day its whatever interests you the most.

What are these 4 rigs btw?

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We could use some help on SoB, but as others have said, it's mostly a matter of personal preference, as Anandtech has a presence on most if not all DC projects. :D

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
well I'm leaving it on seti for now cause i like this boinc manager...I have a degree in mathematics so I'm partial to the mathematical ones...so i joined the cuboid sim on one comp

Comps i have going are:
Dual 3.2 Ghz Xeon /w 2GB of ram
Dual 2.4 Ghz Xeon /w 2GB of ram
3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 /w 2GB of ram
2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 /w 1GB of ram
3200+ Athlon64 /w 1GB of ram

I'm seeing if i can scrounge up any more machines as its been fun seeing those dual xeons be put to good use for a change (normally housing a web server and oracle server that havent been accessed in over 6 months)

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Two of the BOINC projects I run are Rosetta@Home and Ufluids.
One cool thing about BOINC is how easy it makes it to run several projects on the same machine at the same time.