Preferred browser on Android?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Someone on a recent Firefox thread mentioned that Firefox for Android was slow, and I've been using it for quite some time because in my experience Chrome eats battery for breakfast if you forget to swipe-close it off the apps list. I tried a website I commonly use in Firefox in both FF and Chrome and indeed found Firefox to be a lot slower, but I'm not ready to go back to Chrome purely for that (one major disadvantage vs another in my view). Any other browser suggestions?

I had been using ublock origin with Firefox (and I had Firefox clear everything out every time I used its quit option), but if there's an alternate browser that doesn't have Chrome's disadvantage (or at least its disadvantage the last time I actively used it), I'd be willing to potentially give up UBO.

accguy9009

Oct 21, 2007
Someone on a recent Firefox thread mentioned that Firefox for Android was slow, and I've been using it for quite some time because in my experience Chrome eats battery for breakfast if you forget to swipe-close it off the apps list. I tried a website I commonly use in Firefox in both FF and Chrome and indeed found Firefox to be a lot slower, but I'm not ready to go back to Chrome purely for that (one major disadvantage vs another in my view). Any other browser suggestions?

I had been using ublock origin with Firefox (and I had Firefox clear everything out every time I used its quit option), but if there's an alternate browser that doesn't have Chrome's disadvantage (or at least its disadvantage the last time I actively used it), I'd be willing to potentially give up UBO.

The Samsung browser is the best mobile browser IMO

Reactions: Muadib

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I use Chrome. Not sure how much longer Firefox will last on bailouts from Google. I haven't tried Samsung Browser, I have an old habit of avoiding Samsung software.
Microsoft Edge might be worth a try, it's based on Chromium, but seems to be more efficient than Chrome, at least on Windows. I haven't used Edge much on Android yet.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Brave is what I use, it's based on Blink (Chromium) and uses less memory than Chrome, Firefox etc per tab.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The Samsung browser is the best mobile browser IMO
The Samsung browser is based on chromium w/built-in ad blocker
Samsung browser with Ad Block Plus enabled here.

I always used Chrome before the forums here made accessing it nearly impossible while on mobile (due to the borderline malware ads that were running here). Nothing like having your phone constantly vibrating, and being forced to restart your phone to kill the browser session.

After having my browser hijacked, and redirected to some "You won a Walmart gift card" finally gave me enough incentive to find something that could block all of that crap, and I ended up really liking the Samsung browser.