Predict the future, what will your mobile device(s) be like in 10 years?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Awesome! What phone?

Also, since you have root, you can write a script to automatically start up the chroot upon screen cast+keybaord+mouse hookup.

It's an S5 Sprint, rooted, stock kernel, but a lot of stuff removed. I used LinuxDeploy...

https://github.com/meefik/linuxdeploy

I also used his busybox cause stericson wouldn't work. The install was a little flaky, and I had issues accessing the android file system. It's all worked out, but I'm not sure how. I'd run into an issue, research a suspected cause, not do anything really, but try again and have it work :^/ I've had issues manipulating windows in the graphical environment, but I'm hoping it's just unfamiliarity on my part. Haven't tried external peripherals yet.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
I want built in 5G and phone capability under my skin that lets any device I own and authorize to connect to it, being wrist, ankle or hand held.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's an S5 Sprint, rooted, stock kernel, but a lot of stuff removed. I used LinuxDeploy...

https://github.com/meefik/linuxdeploy

I also used his busybox cause stericson wouldn't work. The install was a little flaky, and I had issues accessing the android file system. It's all worked out, but I'm not sure how. I'd run into an issue, research a suspected cause, not do anything really, but try again and have it work :^/ I've had issues manipulating windows in the graphical environment, but I'm hoping it's just unfamiliarity on my part. Haven't tried external peripherals yet.

Your data is probably bind mounted inside the chroot. Now that you have a full Linux distribution installed, you can compile Busybox yourself and run it outside in the Android environment.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
BTW, there's also Maru OS.

That looks great, but only Nexus5 :^( Two essentials for me are removable storage, and removable battery. I'll bend a little on the battery if it's user replaceable with a little effort, but I refuse to get a phone without a card slot; I don't care how much storage it has onboard.