Pre-charge home water accumulator anyone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
us.

actually the pump is 240v so its going to draw a load at startup on both busses. it doesnt matter though, i havent noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
If it is wired correctly for 240v and it is 2hp (which is more than you need and probably more than you have), it's only pulling about 11.5a per leg on a 30a breaker and with capacitor start , the inrush will be minimal.
So depending on the distance from the power source you should have either 8 or 10 ga wire to the pump.

With a new 200a service you should not see a dimming of any lights, if you do, either the service is overloaded or the wiring is inadequate.

the lights dim pretty good when it kicks on

As an electrician, you should know that there is no excuse or reason for excess voltage drop when an unit turns on (AC or well) if the wiring and panels are adequate.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i told you, the capacitor on the pump is likely 50 years old. theres basically no chance it has any capacity left. its pretty obvious, because the lights dim as if there is no capacitor on the motor.

as an electrician, i know there is little risk of danger. 12awg is actually sufficient for a 30a circuit under 100ft, it is only code that says you must use 10awg. code always steps up one gauge higher then you technically need.

and it is a 10awg wire. i suppose i could add a capacitor by the relay box in the basement, i might do that sometime but right now im more worried about getting the pressure under control.

Richard N

Jan 1, 2013
Google water logged pressure tank. See if that matches your problem. If you find it does use standard compressed air. Absolutely no need for nitrogen.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i told you, the capacitor on the pump is likely 50 years old. theres basically no chance it has any capacity left. its pretty obvious, because the lights dim as if there is no capacitor on the motor.

as an electrician, i know there is little risk of danger. 12awg is actually sufficient for a 30a circuit under 100ft, it is only code that says you must use 10awg. code always steps up one gauge higher then you technically need.
I always knew I couldn't trust electricians.