Praying to GOD for selfish things

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
i like when people use god (or karma) to threaten or wish harm on people.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: hiromizu
I thought that's what it was created for.. no?

Negative. The idea of God was invented to help us deal with the question of our place in the universe.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: amjohns5
Everything happens for a reason. Praying to God asking for "stuff" (that job, that girl, whatever) is wrong.

God has a plan for everything, you should pray that you choose what leads in the path of Christ.

My moms friend had two kids, 14 and 16....They accepted Christ as their personal Savior and Lord. They had a personal relationship at such a young age.

:(

Jun 14, 2003
i laugh at people who dont believe in god and then suddenly turn round an pray to him when something catastrophic happens. im like u cant have it both ways man! you either do or you dont.

i dont have any religious beliefs at all, when shit hits the fan, i just get on with things

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Originally posted by: hiromizu
I thought that's what it was created for.. no?

Negative. The idea of God was invented to help us deal with the question of our place in the universe.

religion was created by the wealthy to keep the peasants in line.

King: endure this suffering of working my land and your soul gets peace/prosperity/happiness for eternity.

but i degress from my topic.

NiteWulf-> "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may spend it in your pleasures" James 4:3

ok, asking for selfish things get us nothing. But is it wrong for even trying?

ie:
from my topic-> Winning the game/lottery, scoring with that chick, getting out of a DUI charge (that you did)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
i honestly think people who start these religious threads are just looking for flaming of all things religious. perhaps they even revel in it.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDI
Background:
You believe in god. You truely think he's the Lord. You're devout.

But you also think he's there for you for whatever you need.

So what's wrong w/asking for stuff like he's the Djinni from Aladin's lamp?

God is love (the opposite of selfishness), Satan is selfishness.

Do you actually think if you pray to God for selfish reasons you'll get a response? If you pray, and its about selfishness, atleast pray to the right entity.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
why post this? You know ATOT does not have the maturity level and open mind to discuss it. Just lock this thread and do us all a favor.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: brandonb
Background:

Do you actually think if you pray to God for selfish reasons you'll get a response? If you pray, and its about selfishness, atleast pray to the right entity.

well considering god allows satan to exist god is mostly indifference.

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
i honestly think people who start these religious threads are just looking for flaming of all things religious. perhaps they even revel in it.

you are definately right, because if someone is sitting there wondering about something like this they would probably seek out a biblical theology forum to ask.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: rhino56

you are definately right, because if someone is sitting there wondering about something like this they would probably seek out a biblical theology forum to ask.

Maybe he is hoping for some intelligent people to respond as well, and therefor does not bother to look in a place where there are mostly religious folks?

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
On the way home from cleaning up a church event, they got hit by a drunk driver. Both teens died, and the mother was critically injured.

If their mother wasn't such an ignorant religious fuckup, they would have never gone to church and still be alive. Think about that while you pray to your imaginary friend tonight.

That is the most crude thing I've heard.. While I may not be particularly religious, I don't understand the angst you have against God. Obviously you don't believe in God, so why so angry at something you don't believe in?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: brandonb
Background:

Yup, want the Girl, Car, $$? Pray to Satan!!

:D

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1

Maybe he is hoping for some intelligent people to respond as well, and therefor does not bother to look in a place where there are mostly religious folks?

im glad he has you to guide him here.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: effee

That is the most crude thing I've heard.. While I may not be particularly religious, I don't understand the angst you have against God. Obviously you don't believe in God, so why so angry at something you don't believe in?

Because a lot of people, including myself, feel that its such a waste of time/money/effort to keep going to church. Btw, I don't believe in gods. Soon we'll be like europe who also barely believes in gods, which is great in my book.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1

you just proved your ignorance. congratulations.

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
On the way home from cleaning up a church event, they got hit by a drunk driver. Both teens died, and the mother was critically injured.

If their mother wasn't such an ignorant religious fuckup, they would have never gone to church and still be alive. Think about that while you pray to your imaginary friend tonight.

I don't believe in God and I think the woman is a little off in the head to be thanking God for killing her children. But at the same time, if I were to live through a freak accident like that, I'd probably be depressed and would be mulling over all the things that I could have done differently that day (week, month, year...) for the rest of my life. It's almost enviable to be able to pass off life's troubles like that, but I suppose it's in a similiar light as the blissfulness of ignorance (no offense intended toward religious folks - just my own thought on the matter).

On topic, when I was a kid and influenced by all the free "Sunday school" sessions in the park with games and prizes and other subtle religious allusions in life, I used to pray to God. Of course, I didn't understand the concept of God, so I treated it no differently than making a wish before I blow out the candles on the cake. If I were religious, I'd probably refrain from asking for too much, thinking it would drain my pool of get-out-of-jail-free cards.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
You can pray all you want. But if you spend all your time praying, instead of getting off your butt and doing something to earn the things you want, it's pretty obvious how that's going to work out.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sixone
You can pray all you want. But if you spend all your time praying, instead of getting off your butt and doing something to earn the things you want, it's pretty obvious how that's going to work out.

Lots of free gold?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
:shocked: Whoa I just realized something :shocked:

No wonder Buffalo lost the Superbowls to the Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins... In those bigger markets, more people went to church and prayed for their team to win. In western NY, there were maybe a million people, tops, praying for the Bills.

I dunno, personally I don't think God would really be that interested in football to do some act of divine intervention during a Superbowl, therefore, it'd be silly to pray for a team to win it. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that was divine intervention when the Buffalo Bills had the 4th quarter comeback win against the Houston Oilers... I still have the vision in my mind of that gust of wind and instant white-out condition just as Houston snapped the ball and to kick a field goal...

Anghang

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Maleficus
You can ask for whatever you want (assuming it's not malicious ) and are encouraged to, the flip side is, god gives you what you need/opportunities to have what you want, he doesn't hand them out on a silver platter. That is my understanding from being raised a catholic. I still go to church 90% of sundays but I wouldn't call myself 'devout'.

Same here :thumbsup:
except for the 90% part, more like 0 to .5% for me, still have my faith though, just really lazy about it