Prayer for a friend of mine

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
She's not really a particular friend of mine, though we talk now and again. She's more of a friend of my girlfriend.

Anywho, she's only 15, near 16. She just tried to OD on Tylenol. She took about 3500mg of it. She was just going to lay there while her mom was at work (her father is in and out all the time). My bro (heymrdj on these forums) was talking to her and she admitted it. I don't know the full details behind it. She's mad at him because he called her mother who in turn called an ambulance to her. So she's in the hospital now and will undoubtedly have her stomach pumped.

Her mother isn't exactly going at this the right way.. We want to try to help her so she doesn't do this again. I can't say we can't all blame ourselves a little. She's always been an outcast of the group though she did it to herself. We knew she had a tendency to be a little disturbed mentally though at other times she was so cheerful. Her father (stepfather) has a tendency to molest her... and her mother has a gambling problem. I can understand that she hasn't had the best life. But I can never give a reason for suicide.

Another of my girlfriend's more like acquaintance, he tried to OD several years ago and lived. One of her friend's older brothers was about 19 when he OD'd... He didn't make it.. He talked with his sister for an hour and she had to watch him die.

Even to those of you who might be reading these forums today and thinking "Damn, my life sucks so much, I just can't stand it anymore!" Just remember.. Someone else may be counting on your life.. Someone else may need you..

Thank you all for your time, you may continue with your normal browsing.. I have to make a few more phone calls.

UPDATE 1: The doctors say it's too late to pump her stomach. They believe due to her weight and age that she'll be able to process it with just severe nausea. However we all know the irreparable liver damage she's done. The doctors will keep an eye on her. If she doesn't improve they may have to fight it chemically, but they hope they don't have to.

Apr 17, 2005
good luck to the girl, hope she gets help. you, your gf and your brother are good friends. also, would you like me to flame you for mentioning prayer?

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
good luck to the girl, hope she gets help. you, your gf and your brother are good friends. also, would you like me to flame you for mentioning prayer?

It's your choice. I am of Christian belief. If you choose not to pray that's your decision. I don't think a flame is particularly respectable here, but you are always free to say what you want in any of my threads.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Sounds like her and her family need some serious help. Hopefully if anything good can come out of this it is that her mom and stepfather can get some help and realize what it's doing to their family.

I will keep her and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Howard
That liver's gonna be hurtin'.

My thoughts exactly. I thought it was so odd that just last night i was talking with my gf and her friend about ODing. I was really hitting on it because i thought it was such a foolish thing to do. I mean, even in the sense of killing yourself its a ridiculous way to do it. My gf had told me that one of her lesser met friends had OD'd several years ago and lived. But as I ranted on things got silent. When you're talking with two girls and things go silent.. you know you said something wrong. Then my gf's friend finally talked and said that her brother had OD'd. He had taken something like 3 bottles of maximum strength tylenol and by the time she came home from school it was too late. She called an ambulance and they got them there. But there was nothing they could do. She talked with him for about an hour before he just slipped away..

I guess I felt like an ass for ranting on it so heavily. But I can't understand why anyone would do it. Either way, I would have never guessed that my friend would have done this just the very next morning. It all feels sort of unreal. Talking to her a week ago she was fine, we were cutting up and laughing.. I guess my bro might know more about it. He's alot closer to her than I am. Though he doesn't attend these forums as much as I do. I'll have him give his account when he's comfortable.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, including those who didn't directly respond here.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Not to sound harsh but sounds like to me that she knew she was going to make it, perhaps the need for attention. If she truly was going to do it, one would think she would take something more narcotic or stronger than Tylenol. The tough part about dealing with someone suicidal is they have the make the choice to live. No one else can make it for them. They need to realize that life is very important and being young as she is, still has a long time to grow and mature into someone highly opposite of who she is now.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Not to sound harsh but sounds like to me that she knew she was going to make it, perhaps the need for attention. If she truly was going to do it, one would think she would take something more narcotic or stronger than Tylenol. The tough part about dealing with someone suicidal is they have the make the choice to live. No one else can make it for them. They need to realize that life is very important and being young as she is, still has a long time to grow and mature into someone highly opposite of who she is now.

I was telling my gf and her friend that just last night, so i understand completely where you're coming from.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune

I was telling my gf and her friend that just last night, so i understand completely where you're coming from.

If her family is low income, there are resources out there to help her get some good counseling. Friends and family can be very supportive but she'll need a counselor to really get through it. You guys just cannot comprehend what's going through her mind (Although you can try) but the counselor has been trained thoroughly to understand and deal with all sorts of issues.

Edit: I guess instead of comprehend, perhaps relate should be the word. The human mind can be severely out of whack sometimes.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Am sorry to hear this, what most don't understand that acetaminophen poisoning is a slow painful death :(

It takes a while for the liver to fail, then it takes a while for all that crap to build up in your bloodstream/tissue after the liver stops.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Good luck to the girl, but 3500mg of Tylenol should never endanger a life. I know people who have taken that much when they get high of Vicodin (each pill normally has 500mg of Tylenol in it as well, and I've seen reports of people taking 6 pills, which is 3000mg of Tylenol). However, maybe body size is a factor, didn't really think about being 15. So maybe... regardless, she needs counseling as trying to OD is ridiculous.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: destrekor
Good luck to the girl, but 3500mg of Tylenol should never endanger a life. I know people who have taken that much when they get high of Vicodin (each pill normally has 500mg of Tylenol in it as well, and I've seen reports of people taking 6 pills, which is 3000mg of Tylenol). However, maybe body size is a factor, didn't really think about being 15. So maybe... regardless, she needs counseling as trying to OD is ridiculous.

Whoops, didn't see the dose, yep, she took freaking 7 extra strength Tylenol?

She isn't in any danger at all, but she damn sure needs some therapy.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Rofl, overdose on 3.5 grams of paracetamol. Fortunate for her that she's not a very bright girl.

Liver damage is guaranteed. Maybe if she tries that 10 more times she will get the expected results.

TBone48

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2005
Tact and empathy are rare elements on the interwebs. Moreso here in particular.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
She tried to OD on Tylenol? :shocked:

Good lord.

Pretty much the worst way to die, evAr.

3500mg isn't really that much, though, unless you're tiny. She'll be fine, and she won't have any irreparable liver damage to speak of..

Unless she's a fifth a night alcoholic or something.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

And if she wanted to die, she wouldn't have TOLD someone that she took the Tylenol. She knew he was going to do something about it.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Eli
3500mg isn't really that much, though, unless you're tiny. She'll be fine, and she won't have any irreparable liver damage to speak of..

You obviously don't know Tylenol. I would have said the substance should be downright banned, but then I realized I'm against protecting people against their own stupidity.

Even a single Tylenol causes 'irreversible' liver damage, it's just small enough that it goes unnoticed. It's a substantially toxic substance. If you're on a regular regimen of that stuff, you better hope there is a god.

I'm partial to ibuprofen, I take that stuff down like candy. And if I want to attract attention by attempting a non-fatal overdose, it still gives me that option, and won't leave me scarred for life.

May 16, 2000
*shrug* it's always sad to see a life ended early, but if it's what she wants then I say go for it. Never been a big fan of suicidal attention whoring.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: TBone48
Tact and empathy are rare elements on the interwebs. Moreso here in particular.

it's hard to provide empathy for an individual that doesn't value life. I'll show support for the family and friends though.