powershot G7 has been discontinued

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
here's to the replacement being something other than an A series in a metal body (supposed to be a product announcement monday). what i would give for a large sensor in a compact body with a fast, wide zoom lens and easy access to photographic controls.

G9 takes a bow

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I wouldn't mind a beefy A series, in terms of durability, heh. But yeah, not as a G level replacement.

I'd like to see an SD series with raw and at least Av/Tv modes. That would complement my slr so nicely.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
You are describing the new S5 IS. I use the S3 IS to complement my 5D outfit.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: corkyg
You are describing the new S5 IS. I use the S3 IS to complement my 5D outfit.

The sensor isn't that flash, and the lens is hardly wide angle ;)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
bah they killed their only compactish camera that had a larger sensor than the norm (1/2.5")

and why did they discontinue it so soon?

edit: looks like its been out for almost a year now (sept '06)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: dug777

Don't know what a "flash" sensor is. It has an excellent low light capability, and 35mm equivalent of a 36mm to 432mm lens. The standard "normal lens is 50mm in 35 terms. Anything lower is a wide angle. No, it is not an extreme wide angle (24mm or below.)

I use it as a small, walk around replacement when it is not convenient to carry the 5D and a couple of lenses. Keep things in perspective.

If I want wide angle, I can use my 16-35mm f/2.8 L lens with the 5D/ That requirement for me is not common. Likewise RAW - and RAW is not of much use unless you are going to make large prints at high res.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Don't know what a "flash" sensor is. It has an excellent low light capability, and 35mm equivalent of a 36mm to 432mm lens. The standard "normal lens is 50mm in 35 terms. Anything lower is a wide angle. No, it is not an extreme wide angle (24mm or below.)

I use it as a small, walk around replacement when it is not convenient to carry the 5D and a couple of lenses. Keep things in perspective.

If I want wide angle, I can use my 16-35mm f/2.8 L lens with the 5D/ That requirement for me is not common. Likewise RAW - and RAW is not of much use unless you are going to make large prints at high res.

actually, an exactly normal lens is 43 mm on a 35 mm frame.

i think 'flash' may be australian slang.

anyway, i'd rather have a 28 to 100 or a 24 to 70 even with a big sensor (1" or greater diagonal. but that isn't what canon is doing.

they're doing the G9

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix

actually, an exactly normal lens is 43 mm on a 35 mm frame.

i think 'flash' may be australian slang.

anyway, i'd rather have a 28 to 100 or a 24 to 70 even with a big sensor (1" or greater diagonal. but that isn't what canon is doing.

they're doing the G9

Can you describe more about the term "flash"?