Powerline Wireless Range Extenders

mdcrab

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2001
I have a preference towards Netgear, but am currently using a LinkSys WRT54G. The software interface that Netgear uses is considerably better. Anyway I like the transmission power setting available on the LinkSys to extend the range, but I am thinking about going back tio the Netgear Router WGR614v4 and using a:
WGXB102
Has anyone here have any experience with these units? They are a little pricey, but since they are new maybe the price will come down.

mdcrab

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Interesting product never saw it before.

It is replacing a CAT5e with HPNA and putting an Access Point at the end.

The HPNA part is based on the Netgear, XE102 which is a low speed device, as a result it does not really take advantage of the 802.11g capacity.

Actually you can probably achieve more flexibility by buying two XE102 and a Cable/DSL Router of your choice.

Is it better than 802.11g extender?

I would guess that it depends on the environment. While the WGXB102 would provide stable 6-7Mb/sec. (number taken from the link bellow), an 802.11g Extender might provide more or less than 6-7 Mb/sec (depending on the specific envioroment).

One thing is sure it would more stable than an Extender.

CNET review - http://reviews.cnet.com/Netgear_WGXB102...extender_kit/4505-3304_7-31119874.html

:sun:

P.S. Take into consideration that the above is a theoretical analysis since I never tried the product.