PowerEdge 400SC Server P4 2.26ghz, 533hz FSB, 40gb, 126MB $299 AR w/ free shipping

rasputinj

Diamond Member
May 15, 2001
Dell Small Business has a great deal on the PowerEdge 400SC Server
with an Free Upgrade to an Intel® P®4 2.26 GHz,533FSB at Cel2.0 price , 128MB DDR 400Mhz ECC RAM, 48x CD-ROM, 40GB Hard drive, Integrated Intel gigabit NIC, Keyboard, Mouse, 1-yr Warranty all for

$499 - $100 rebate -$100 instant savings= $299 with free shipping.

Just click on an set it up with , free cpu upgrade, keyboard and mouse,and select the rebate

Good upgrade: is the 50% OFF the Upgrade to a 80GB 7.2K RPM IDE Hard Drive + $35

Pentium 4 2.8 at 2.4ghz @800Mhz fsb for $99 more

This is the same motherboard used in the 8300 Dimension and comes with a 8x AGP slot, Gigabit Ethernet, Serial ATA

LasombraB

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
I just order one these servers Friday, so I canceled it and going to order this one. Upgrading the HD to 80GB and the CPU to 2.8GHz are well worth it. Don't worry about the memory. You can get it cheaper at Crucial.

Armoth

Jan 22, 2003
Rasputinj, I'm still confused. I have read previous comments that state that if you don't get SATA drives then you don't get a mobo with SATA onboard. Are there, in fact, two different motherboards that ship with this server?

Besides all that, this seems like one of the better 400SC server deals in a while...might have to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I'm a bit of a noob... no, make that a complete noob when it comes to servers...

What's preventing me from understanding why I wouldn't just get this, add a video card, sound card, and have a decent desktop computer?
Thanks. (I think my question is what's the difference between a server and a desktop. It's probably time for me to learn.)

nekote

May 22, 2001
That's one way to go!
Sometimes a very good bang for the buck.

Of course, as a "server", that can commonly impliy *NO* Operating System.

Add your own Linux, Windows, ...

LasombraB

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
The PowerEdge 400SC Series is basicly a suped up desktop. You could easily turn it into a Desktop system. Once you get higher in the PowerEdge series of system they are build with motherboards that are made just for servers. The 400SC uses a Intel 875 chipset motherboard which a lot of Desktop Pc's use.

gobabygo

Jan 7, 2000
I don't think the hard drive upgrade is such a great deal. The machine comes with a 40gigger, so really, you're paying $35 for an extra 40gb. My maximum price for a hard drive is 50cents/gb.

Ugg... I've held off on this deal for a while now... and I really don't need another computer... but it's such a good deal.... should I replace my wife's P3-700 machine and give that to my mom... oh, I dunno.

rasputinj

Diamond Member
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Armoth
Rasputinj, I'm still confused. I have read previous comments that state that if you don't get SATA drives then you don't get a mobo with SATA onboard. Are there, in fact, two different motherboards that ship with this server?

Besides all that, this seems like one of the better 400SC server deals in a while...might have to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks.

It comes with a SATA on the motherboard, it is not used in the server configuration. Just purhcase a SATA HD, just like it has and AGP slot that is not used, pickup an AGP video card and you are set.

Psorak

Banned
Feb 4, 2004
It is a nice machine, I never thought I'd go dell.
I got it for 20 less with the free palm zire after MIR.

rile0161

May 20, 2002
I wish I had the cash for this right now. Oh well, it will probably come around again later.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Another good deal... But only if you need it... As with the HD upgrade? Again only if you need it. If you already have a 120 gig drive you were going to transfer into the system or if you have another computer (file server) that has 200 Gig drives in it .... Tho, if this is your very first computer 40 gig drives are easy to fill up and for 35 bucks? It's not a bad deal.

I myself don't need another computer I'm still waiting around for the 3.2 CPU. It might be a long wait! :) But, as soon as the new chips come out and intel slashes the prices on remaining stock then the better deals can be had once again!

:)

may

Dec 26, 2001
mine was delivered yesterday from last deal. $60 cheap w/ free palm. So I would say this is warm at best.

bigeasy

Feb 4, 2004
Please forgive the newbie questions.

Seems very inexpensive, but i do not need a servor. What do you need to make it a descent desktop computer (for my secretary) or would something like the 4600 be a better deal (given the software differences)?

Would I need to get a video or basic sound card?

Is it ready to use on the net?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: bigeasy
Please forgive the newbie questions.

Seems very inexpensive, but i do not need a servor. What do you need to make it a descent desktop computer (for my secretary) or would something like the 4600 be a better deal (given the software differences)?

Would I need to get a video or basic sound card?

Is it ready to use on the net?
The 400SC server is the latest entry level server offering by Dell. Even though it's called a server by Dell it really is more of a hi-performance desktop. It uses the same motherboard as the high end Dimension 8300 and Precision 360 workstation. The reason it is so popular with the crowd here is that it can be easily upgraded with hi-performance parts (video card, sound card, DVD burner, etc) that we get on other deals to make it a real screamer. Even though you can install a Windows operating system and use it as a business desktop I would advise against it. If you are not a techie type or PC builder you would be better off buying a Dimension like a 4600 or 2400. You want a PC that your secretary can use day in, day out and can call Dell with any problem. Dell does not support WinXP or other non-server operating systems on the 400SC.

It has a 16mb PCI video card using an old ATI video chip and it has onboard sound.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
I'm using one as a desktop workstation right now. It's great. It's fast, amazingly quiet and well designed - and it looks good. Onboard sound is fine. Stock video card is extremely sharp but fairly slow and would be helpless in a gaming situation, but it's perfectly adequate for office use. It looks fantastic on my 15" LCD. I'm running XP Pro, but it does seem to prefer 2000. For under $400 it's absolutely unbeatable. If I could get it approved I'd replace all 50 of our workstations with these.

alexong

Oct 30, 2003
Deal dead. Worse than the previous deal that expired a few days ago...

Now only $50 instant savings. Boy that was quick!

Kostya17

Jun 26, 2001
I am still waiting for a deal similar to the one back in Aug '03: $349 total out-of-the pocket for PIV 2.8GHz server... Looks like it'll be a loooooooong wait :(

cdub

May 31, 2002
Quick question: what kind of memory do you have to use in this computer? ECC, registered? The memory upgrade options are pretty expensive so I'd like to just buy it seperately. Can you just slap some non-parity memory in these things?

adelphi

Banned
Dec 28, 2003
can i use kingston 2x512mb pc2700 memory in this or will there be a performance
hit unless i upgrade to pc3200 ram?

thanks

adelphi

Banned
Dec 28, 2003
wow, it uses only a big heatsink on top of the cpu........is this available commercially by other manufacturers?
would be nice for selfbuilt pc