PowerEdge 1600SC Dual Capable 2.0Ghz Xeon Server with TWO 73GB 10k RPM U320 SCSI Drives for $579.15 after Rebate{DEAD]

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aar0n

May 15, 2001
GoldDucks, sending you an email now.

RoboKrikit, the chip I got is an SL6EM. It's a 1.5V: 2000DP/512L2/400/1.50V.

Found this info from intel:

sSpec..Core...Bus...............Pkg Type
SL623 2 GHz 400 MHz 603 INT-mPGA
SL5Z9 2 GHz 400 MHz 603 INT-mPGA
SL5U8 2 GHz 400 MHz 603 INT-mPGA
SL5TH 2 GHz 400 MHz 603 INT-mPGA

Refresh

May 3, 2002
yeah, if anybody is parting out their 2.0Ghz CPU, PM me i'm interested. If not, I'm selling mines..and going 2.4 =)

oaaltone

Jun 25, 2001
aaltonen.us
I contacted Fujitsu Tech Support today about the warranty, and gave them the serial and other info off the OEM Dell drive (which has no markings that give any clue that it is a Dell drive, by the way), interestingly enough, here's their reply:

Response (Giancarlo Penninella) 03/05/2003 06:49 PM
Most Fujitsu hard drives warranties are three years on IDE/Laptop drives and five years on SCSI drives. The warranty runs from the date identified on the drive or date of original purchase.

Hmmm...

I also filled out a test RMA form and it accepted the serial and other info off the drive with no warnings.

Aar0n

May 15, 2001
Hey Refresh, I'm of the same mind. Sent you an email...

And GermyBoy, that z-buy ram should work fine. You might want to check if it's Cas Level 2 or 2.5. Either will work, but CL2 is faster.

Aar0n

May 15, 2001
Info on whether the FSB would automatically update to 533MHz if you add a 533MHz chip.

Checked out this thread at the
Dell Support Forums

Bad news... I tried a 2.8ghz 533FSB Xeon tonight and received the following message at POST:

A 533 MHz system bus processor is installed. This system bus speed is not supported on this system board. The system will run at a reduced processor clock speed and system performance will be impacted.

Do you wish to continue to bott at 400 MHz system bus speed and reduced processor speed? (Y/N)

Press [Y] to continue or press [N] to shut down.

I guess the Dell BIOS programmers took the extra step to make sure we couldn't use this "undocumented feature". This is really disappointing considering that the "new" 600SC with 533mhz FSB support still has the same ServerWorks GC-SL chipset core logic as the 1600SC and the old 600SC. Here's hoping for a BIOS update to make this happen, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't think Dell would want their cheap server giving their high-end workstation a run for the money.

The thing that really bums me the most, is that at 400mhz system bus, the DDR only runs at 200mhz instead of 266mhz. I was hoping for better RAM performance from this machine by upgrading to a 533FSB processor. I wonder why Dell even bothers to require PC266, if the RAM only runs at 200MHz?

The 2.8GHz CPU ran fine at 2100Mhz by the way. XP even identified it as a 2.8GHz Xeon running at 2.09GHz.

Just in case anyone is curious, the answer is no, the 2100 (2.8ghz) and 2400 CPUs wouldn't run dual together, not that I expected them to. It didn't even POST.

Others were speculating that a BIOS update might 'unlock' the FSB speed... not sure on that though.

Aaron

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Okay, I hate the dell bios. Anyone update theirs? Can we even flash this bios?

Also, I can't figure out which motherboard is in here. It's HUGE. I want to find out specifics about it, and read up on it. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks for any help.

Aar0n

May 15, 2001
and more bad news, from a Dell internal Sales Doc:

Q. Can customers upgrade their existing PowerEdge 1600SC 400MHz FSB servers to 533MHz FSB?
A. No. Customers cannot upgrade their PowerEdge 1600SC 400MHz FSB systems to 533MHz FSB. This would require a new system board and new processors. Customers desiring the 533MHz processors will need to purchase a new system, however the new 533MHz system board will be backwards compatible (can use 400MHz processors). There will not be an upgrade kit to allow 400MHz PowerEdge 1600SC customers to upgrade to the 533MHz PowerEdge 1600SC.

Are you asking if you could flash the bios to the server works version? Not sure how that would turn out. Anyone??

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Well I thought I'd try linux on there, so I downloaded Mandrake 9.0, but I don't know which scsi controller to choose. I need to choose one, because it fails if I don't, but none of the ones I've clicked on work. Anyone put Mandrake 9 on and can lend a hand?

linuxthinker

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
I believe it's an LSI Logic 1010 chipset. Don't quote me on that, though. Check Dell's spec page yourself.

docinthebox

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: linuxthinker
I believe it's an LSI Logic 1010 chipset. Don't quote me on that, though. Check Dell's spec page yourself.

I think it might be 1020 or 1030, since it's U320. 1010 is U160.

oaaltone

Jun 25, 2001
aaltonen.us
Originally posted by: GermyBoy
Well I thought I'd try linux on there, so I downloaded Mandrake 9.0, but I don't know which scsi controller to choose. I need to choose one, because it fails if I don't, but none of the ones I've clicked on work. Anyone put Mandrake 9 on and can lend a hand?
Redhat 8.0 here and everything installed without a hitch in about 15 minutes... Everything seems to work so far, I've already switched all of my stuff over to the new server and everything.

Least painful installs ever... I'm just waiting for something to go wrong ;)

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by: olliebg
Originally posted by: GermyBoy Well I thought I'd try linux on there, so I downloaded Mandrake 9.0, but I don't know which scsi controller to choose. I need to choose one, because it fails if I don't, but none of the ones I've clicked on work. Anyone put Mandrake 9 on and can lend a hand?
Redhat 8.0 here and everything installed without a hitch in about 15 minutes... Everything seems to work so far, I've already switched all of my stuff over to the new server and everything. Least painful installs ever... I'm just waiting for something to go wrong ;)

Yup I just threw Redhat 8.0 on there instead of Mandrake, since I had some snags along the way. It detected the scsi drives right away!

Which graphics card did you choose? Mine defaulted to ATI Mach64, but I chose the ATI Rage XL, as that's what the Dell page says now.

oaaltone

Jun 25, 2001
aaltonen.us
Originally posted by: GermyBoy
Which graphics card did you choose? Mine defaulted to ATI Mach64, but I chose the ATI Rage XL, as that's what the Dell page says now.
I didn't install XFree86, since I'm running the server headless only use consoles over SSH to do admin stuff...

Twingo

Oct 4, 2002
Ok, just have a quick question. Is anyone else having a problem when they added the second CPU that the fan connector didn't fit on the motherboard CPU2 fan connector? So i just used a converter and put it on a four pin connector straight to the PS and now everytime it boots it gives me an error saying cpu fan 2 not detected hit F1 to continue. Needless to say this is a pain to have to man each and every reset to get the thing to come all the way up. Is there either a way to get the fan onto the mobo header or just disable this error message ??

edtsui

Aug 5, 2001
I just sanded down the standard 3 pin plug on the Retail Intel HSF, but found out that the sensor wire and the positive wire are reversed on the mobo, so I had to switch those 2 wires then just plug it in, and it worked fine for me. The Dell OEM hsf came in for me and its much quieter :)

Coaster

Jan 1, 2002
Dell just released the new A04 BIOS for the 1600sc that supports 533 FSB !!! From the info text on the new BIOS

"PowerEdge 1600SC, BIOS, version A04 provides support for /533MHz processors. PowerEdge 1600SC, BIOS, version A04 contains all content from prior revisions, and is backward compatible with other versions."

If anyone tries the new BIOS with a 533 FSB Xeon, please report back and let the rest of us know how it works.

Coaster

Jan 1, 2002
Cr@p. Nevermind about the A04 BIOS upgrade. A Dell rep just posted this in the Dell forums :(

<quote>
Unfortunately, the notes on the download page for the PowerEdge 1600 SC A04 are misleading. A04 does not add 533MHz FSB support for all PowerEdge 1600 SC's. There was motherboard revision which adds the 533MHz support. This revision started shipping on systems in the last week or so.

The A04 revison does have other updates and fixes which are recommended for all PowerEdge 1600 SC systems. The documentation should be corrected soon. I apologize for any confusion.
</quote>

Oh well. Dell offered to exchange a 533 FSB system for the 400 FSB I have. Looks like I'll be boxing up the 400 FSB system and sending it back for the 533 FSB. Was hoping it wouldn't come to this...