PowerDVD alternatives?

Plugers

Mar 22, 2002
Cyberlink is about pissing me off. They stopped supporting new blue rays on the version I paid for, I don't want/need the new features, and want me to pay another $85 to watch my new BRs. AnydvdHD is cheaper......

Any good alternatives out there?

Last edited:

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Cyberlink is about pissing me off. They stopped supporting new blue rays on the version I paid for, I don't want/need the new features, and want me to pay another $85 to watch my new BRs. AnydvdHD is cheaper......

Any good alternatives out there?

I have young kids who push the physical tolerances of BD disks. So I found it better to get AnyDVD HD, rip everything to a media server, and use a free player like VLC. I get to protect my physical disks without worrying about Cinavia problems.

If you aren't interested in playing rips, TMT5 is pretty good. I use it to play my Netflix rentals and it works like a charm. However, the newest version is Cinavia-enabled, so you will run into problem playing rips of Cinavia disks. TMT occasionally is offered at significant discounts. You can lurk around the slysoft AnyDVD HD forum to learn more about when the sales typically happen.

Plugers

Mar 22, 2002
I'll probably go AnyDVD HD, that way I don't have to worry about all the new BS.
I only play the main movie anyway usually, so I can use VLC if need be after that.

I did rip all my DVDs in the past for the same reason, young child, not so much an issue anymore but having them all on the server is nice.

It's funny that the "protection" they use forces some people to find a way around it just so they can watch a movie they rented or paid for. I even hear some stand alone BRD players are not getting up updated after a couple years so you need to buy another.

Now I'm wishing HD-DVD would have won the battle.

and thanks for your response.