Powercolor ATI 9700 (non pro) problems...

NorthShoreRob

Mar 8, 2003
I'm a newbie here and I apologize for the long post. Thanks for reading and any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I purchased an ATI Radeon 9700 (non pro). I check it in the system hardware and benchmarks and it reads as being a
"9700 PRO". I was told that Powercolor overclocks it and sells it with close to 9700 pro specs..anyone know if this is true?

Okay, now to the problem, running under normal conditions it works fine and even watching DVD's its fine but I tried to run a benchmark and around test 3 of 17 the monitor starts showing some artifacts, and the screen fills up with them as it goes further into the benchmark testing. I have to cancel out and reboot because even after the benchmark program is closed the artifacts are still there on the desktop and everything...after re-boot its okay again. Playing UT2K3, just in the setup (not even playing the game yet) I start to get little sparkly artifacts showing up in random places on the monitor and once again as it gets further into the game the artifacts fill the screen and I have to cancel/reboot again.

I am fairly new to this and just built my first computer and other than my video card doing this I am very happy with its performance; that is why I would like to get this problem resolved. Has anyone ever experienced this and/or knnow of a fix? I was told that it may be a heating problem so I will look into trying to cool it down. I also have the Gigabyte SINXP-1394 mobo and it comes with "Easy Tune4" software supposedly for overclocking that i've basically looked thorugh and may have adjusted some settings but dont think I adjusted it much...I hope not.

My main questions are,
If the Powercolor Radeon 9700 that I bought is overclocked and thats what is causing it to have these artifacts then how can I go about "underclocking" it?

If it is a heating problem, what do you recommend I do to reduce heat? more fans, larger heatsink?

I was also told that to "underclock" the 9700 I would need to flash the Bios, is this true and if so is that the only way to do it? If there is a program(s) that you know of can you please post a link of where I can get a free download form. Also, waht do I have to adjust to underclock it...voltage? ~ see im new to this :-(

This is my main concern and I think my last bug I have to work out to be totally satisfied with my first home built computer..i'd really like to get this fixed. You all have been a great help so I know someone knows what to do.

How are video cards rated? I see all this numbers, example: XXX/XXX and dont really know what they mean....can anyone shed some light?

Thanks in advance,
Rob