Power to Baghdad

DZip

Apr 11, 2000
All we hear is how the Americans are not doing enough to get power going. What about the Iraqi's helping out and providing labor to get the lines up, power stations going, garbage collection, policing against looters, ect.. Do they really want to self rule or do they want someone to take control of their lives? How long after Berlin fell before power was restored?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DZip
All we hear is how the Americans are not doing enough to get power going. What about the Iraqi's helping out and providing labor to get the lines up, power stations going, garbage collection, policing against looters, ect.. Do they really want to self rule or do they want someone to take control of their lives? How long after Berlin fell before power was restored?

I thought many were going back to work?

Andy

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The underlying cool thing about that story is that people can say they are aggravated and grouse about troubles. :D

And also use their ingenuity and resourcefullness to fix things. Iraq will be ok.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
The underlying cool thing about that story is that people can say they are aggravated and grouse about troubles. :D

And also use their ingenuity and resourcefullness to fix things. Iraq will be ok.

Yes it is going to take more than 30 days to make every normal again.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Fencer128

Andy

So did I, I thought a lot of them were working for free, just trying to bring back a sense of normalcy.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
do they want someone to take control of their lives
Actually, I kinda think that perhaps they do. They seem to want it both ways. They want to have someone calling the shots and telling them what to do but not be oppressed like they were under saddam. But power corrupts so it just not possible.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Where is Bali in this thread, he is crying about "potable water and power' all over, silly boy thinks Iraqi's had that before the war.....

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
Originally posted by: Fencer128

Andy

So did I, I thought a lot of them were working for free, just trying to bring back a sense of normalcy.

WP

"To build confidence on another front, U.S. civilian officials began informing Iraqi government workers today of salary payments that will include large raises for teachers, police officers and others at the bottom of the Hussein-era earnings table. The four-tier system, involving 1.4 million Iraqis, covers missed paydays during and after the invasion. It reduces the salaries of senior managers, cuts judicial pay in half and eliminates pay for the intelligence service, Hussein's presidential guard and the uniformed military.

"We think that most people will be winners," said one senior U.S. official. As for the losers, whose salaries are being distributed to the others, he said, "They're not the people we care about right now."
"

Also interesting at the beginning of the article is that old regime members are blamed for much of the insecurity in Iraq. A case of Iraqi's still preying on Iraqis.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Also interesting at the beginning of the article is that old regime members are blamed for much of the insecurity in Iraq. A case of Iraqi's still preying on Iraqis

better than the blame falling on the US, look at Kosovo, the citizens there blame the US SOLELY for the current state of affairs, when that is totally controlled by the Un. If we are going to get the blame anyway, we might as well go in and do it right ourselves.