Power Supply for Asus P6 SE?

mrm1222

Nov 9, 2009
Apologies if this has already been posted.

I'm upgrading my Velocity Micro ProMagix pc. I'll be getting an Intel i-950 process and 6GB memory. My question is in regard to the power supply for the Asus P6 SE.

My current power supply is a 550 Watt Antec TRUE POWER 2.0 Quiet Power Supply with 120 mm Smart Fan. I've been told, however, that I need at least a 600 PSU while others tell me that 550 watts is enough. Can anyone say?

Thanks again.

mlc

Jan 22, 2005
The difference between 550 and 600 is marginal at best.. Either way, we can't really say with any level of certainty, as your PSU requirements are going to be based on the following, in addition to your board and memory:
1) Processor you will be using
2) number of hard drives
3) type of graphics card..
4) do you plan to overclock
5) other plug in type peripherals you intend to run.. (DVD player, soundcards, etc..)

All of these will factor into the draw on your PSU... Do a google search to find an online PSU calculator.. and then you can plug into it what you have, and it will spit out a recommendation..

Having said that. .. the 550 is probably going to be ok for your needs.. but definitely take the minute of 2 to run your specs into a calculator

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Mike