power supply advice needed

viramor

Nov 15, 2004
I'm looking for some advice on what a good PS would be for this build.

core 2 duo 6600
GF 7950GX2
500gb western digital HD
2gb corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
NEC 16x dvd burner
Creative SB Xi-Fi

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Make sure the power supply has an 8-pin EPS+12V connector. Intel frowns upon the potential .04V drop in voltage that using a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter creates.

Merovingian

Mar 30, 2005
For Quiet, I would recommend...

Seasonic S12-430 430W
Antec Phantom 500W
Seasonic S12-600 600W

Probably only need the 430W (I don't know how much that card draws on each rail vs. the PSU power so you might need the 500W) but if you plan to go SLI on that card then I would certainly get the 600W.

Holy shiat, that's JonnyGuru. Hey, love the site dude!

viramor

Nov 15, 2004
So far after doing a bit of reasearch I think I may go with the very new Corsair 620w PS.

1N0V471V

Mar 13, 2006
Ehh... I wouldn't. Get a PSU from a more established manufacturer like Enermax, Seasonic, OCZ, Fortron, etc.

viramor

Nov 15, 2004
It's seems corsair is hyping this PS up and sent out alot to be reviewed. So far every review I've seen of it has had very high marks.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
i also wouldn't get that corsair psu, although it might be a good/decent psu, you might wanna let some other people get it first to see how users here like it, i'd get something like the seasonic 600 or FSP 600-700 for your card or quad sli. enermax liberty if u like modular, all 3 are very quiet

viramor

Nov 15, 2004
The FSP 600 looks like a very solid PS and great price. The enermax liberty looks good but it seems to have some reports of failing.

Hidden Hippo

Aug 2, 2006
Also, the Tagan Easycon PSUs and OCZ mod streams are good modular power supplies. If you want quiet, a Seasonic is right up your street.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Corsair is built by Seasonic, so it's a very good PSU.

Tagan and the OCZ Modstream are Topower sourced, I wouldn't recommend them.

Personally I'd go with the Seasonic S12 380, or 430 watt.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: 1N0V471V
Ehh... I wouldn't. Get a PSU from a more established manufacturer like Enermax, Seasonic, OCZ, Fortron, etc.

That Corsair is a rebadged Seasonic. FTW.

viramor

Nov 15, 2004
I'm really liking the Seasonic, now I must decide if its worth the extra $ to go for the Corsair that has the spiffy modular cables.

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
Ehh... I wouldn't. Get a PSU from a more established manufacturer like ...Seasonic....

Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
i also wouldn't get that corsair psu, although it might be a good/decent psu, you might wanna let some other people get it first to see how users here like it, i'd get something like the seasonic...

You guys get out much?

viramor

Nov 15, 2004
Is 600w or 620w with the corsair good enough if I want to upgrade to a quad sli setup in the future?

1N0V471V

Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: jonnyGURU
Ehh... I wouldn't. Get a PSU from a more established manufacturer like ...Seasonic....

i also wouldn't get that corsair psu, although it might be a good/decent psu, you might wanna let some other people get it first to see how users here like it, i'd get something like the seasonic...

You guys get out much?
To be honest, I don't always trust reviews from websites that get their products right from the manufacturer. These reviews tend to be biased. If you want an example go to Tomshardware.com. Even when AMD was pwning Intel they still tried to make it look like Intel had the upper hand. I like waiting until somebody I have a direct relationship with has tested the product before I buy.

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999

You guys get out much?
To be honest, I don't always trust reviews from websites that get their products right from the manufacturer. These reviews tend to be biased. If you want an example go to Tomshardware.com. Even when AMD was pwning Intel they still tried to make it look like Intel had the upper hand. I like waiting until somebody I have a direct relationship with has tested the product before I buy.

Well... come on..... Tom's Hardware??? Let's be realistic. ;)

But I agree. It's come to my attention that some (not all) of the better PSU testers out there have an "agenda" or "industry alliance" that consistantly taints what on the surface appear to be good reviews.

On the other hand, most tests are "slap it in and turn it on."

My 2 cents: It's made by Seasonic and even on an SMPS PSU ATE it held up to it's 620W rating and didn't crossload, lived up to it's label and 80%+ efficiency claim, showed minimal ripple, has APFC, is quiet, modular and has the ribbon-style cables.

And no... I've received no endorsement dollars from Corsair. Even my RAM is Kingston. ;)

1N0V471V

Mar 13, 2006
Well the only reason why I can't recommend the Corsair is the same reason I didn't recommend the OCZ GameXStream for a while... simply to few people have it to know how it works in a non-lab based environment.

tomoyo

Oct 5, 2005
Btw if you're still thinking, I'll just mention the Corsair is actually seasonic oem...looks like an awesome buy. There's a ton of seasonic oem coming out recently, pc power and cooling and antec both use seasonic as well.

Dragoon42

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2000
Well the only reason why I can't recommend the Corsair is the same reason I didn't recommend the OCZ GameXStream for a while... simply to few people have it to know how it works in a non-lab based environment.

I got an ocz 600w gamexstream. I love it ^^

augiem

Dec 20, 1999
Make sure the power supply has an 8-pin EPS+12V connector. Intel frowns upon the potential .04V drop in voltage that using a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter creates.

Are most of the Conroe boards going to need the EPS connector? I'm also building a E6600 conroe system, but am waiting for a few more mobos to come out before I order. Still, I'm leaning toward 975X over 965 unless some miracles happen on the BIOS front. I'd like to get the PS now though, and made the mistake of ordering one without realizing it didn't have the 8-pin EPS cable.

Augie

Feb 19, 2001
Neg. Forget the Corsair. Get Seasonic. Look, if you want top notch best PSUs, we're talking ZIppy or PCP&C. If you can't afford those and want to drop down 1 notch, there's Seasonic.

Enermax, Corsair stand right below the Seasonic at a different notch. Maybe OCZ's high end PSUs can compete, but are dfeinitely a notch lo wer.

Then comes Fortron, Antec and OCZ.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: movingincircles
would a simple Smartpower 2.0 350W Antec do for an ATX conroe system?

Yes, but what is it with people skimping on power supplies? Wattage wise, you're fine. You need to ensure the rails are enough for today's graphics cards. I think the amperage is fine too, but the reliability and noise and also most importantly voltage regulation comes into question. I know that Antec SP does not rank the best in voltage regulation. TruePower does an insanely good job though, about as good as Seasonic @ 1 - 2% only.

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Neg. Forget the Corsair. Get Seasonic.

Have you looked at the Corsair at all or even read any of the posts after the first three?

The Corsair IS a Seasonic, only it's got better support because it has a 5 year warranty and you can actually ring someone at Corsair and get an RMA if necessary. Ever try getting an RMA from Seasonic? It's not impossible, but if you're an end user it's not easy either!

The only Seasonic I would suggest over the Corsair is the PCP&C Silencer 750W. I can't see suggesting anything Seasonic branded as they don't offer anything more powerful and when the M12 comes out, which will then offer a 650W version, the only thing they have to offer is an extra 60MM fan. :confused: Wait a minute... Do I WANT that?

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
So would it be fair to say that the verdict is that the Corsair is a very nice rebrand, but it's overkill for your system. A 500W Seasonic S12 (instead of a M12 620W variant) would be sufficent. You're overspending.