Power saving features, Centrino vs PowerBook

inhotep

Oct 14, 2004
Hello,

Does PC notebooks support the Auto-Dim feature like the Powerbooks? Vs just turning off the screen. If so, how do I enable it, or what software?
Auto-dim, auto adjust the brightness when idel, dim to lamp to save power.
Also, is there anyway to further under clock Max Battery? Like so it will go lower than 600mhz.. like 300-400mhz or so. Software? I don't need 600mhz when proc words :p

Thanks

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
PC notebooks can automatically lower the screen brightness with battery, but it depends on the software that comes with the computer. IIRC, new Toshiba models have some great power management software built in, allowing you to set screen brightness levels for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, & full battery charges. IBM also comes with something similar, although only to set it to lower LCD brightness to desired level & change screen refresh rate after being idle for desired amount of time.
IBM Battery Maximizer Pic - Not 56K Friendly
Those are the only brands that I know use it. HP/Compaq, eMachines, & Sony do not offer these options. Check with others regarding non-retail brands like Sager, Fujitsu, etc.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
he's not talking about dimming when you are on battery power, he's talking about the 15" and 17" powerbooks that have an ambient light sensor that lowers screen brightness and light up the keyboard automatically. I'm not aware of any PC laptop that has this

inhotep

Oct 14, 2004
My laptop does have a manual brightness adjustment.
Are there any software I can download?
Also, any battery calibration softwares outthere? My batteries seen to be sloppy as of late.. been used a lot for the past few months.
My laptop does not come with any power management.. Oh, there is the Gateway Power Management in Power schemes, but that seems just like Max Battery and no more.

Thanks,
No buying a Gateway laptop anymore
Gateway 4520 1.5ghz (1m L2), 512 PC2700 (but the system can only use 2100 max), 40 gig 7200rpm IBM/Hitachi HD, a fake videocard (Intel Extreme II)

inhotep

Oct 14, 2004
setting on an airplan next to someone with a Powerbook... I've noticed that the powerbook has more features than an average PC notebook. 1 thing, the interface layout is just more practical compare to MSOS.. I'm using the dock software, which they stole it from Apple.
Anyone know if Apple offers power saving feature simular to Centrino? I think I'm going to get a Powerbook on the next purchase.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Powerbooks do have power saving features that throttle down the processor and components accordingly. However, the stuff in the Pentium-M is better. Basically you can set you're powerbook to "lowest," "automatic," or "highest" power when you're on battery (and on the cord). Lowest sets the G4 and gpu down to a lower speed (honestly I own one and I don't even know what speed it is). Highest keeps everything at the top end, and automatic is sort of like the throttling like a P-M has.

Hopefully the next step in powerbooks (G5s) which wont be out for a while will have better stepping technology. The current G4 powerbook definitely does have some nice features though (asside form OSX which is awesome by itself). An ambient light sensor auto dims the screan and turns on the lighted keyboard (for the high end 15 and 17" models)... btw (and both can be turned off and easily over ridden via the f-keys).

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Interesting features on the Macs, hadn't heard of that! Learn somethin' every day.....
The other thing to consider is software, Macs are definitely harder to get software for. GL

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
The other thing to consider is software, Macs are definitely harder to get software for. GL

That is not true. The Mac has the same amount of software as the PC. If the Mac doesnt have a program the PC doesnt have, it is substituted by a different app. Same thing applies to the PC.

inhotep

Oct 14, 2004
i just looked at the PowerBook pricing list. OUCH! that 17inch powerbook = 2 1/2 of my Gateway 4520! price to pay for a sexy notebook hehe
I will stick with Centrino for now :)

BTW, what is a sexy Centrino? Sony? and??

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Thin Lizzy

That is not true. The Mac has the same amount of software as the PC. If the Mac doesnt have a program the PC doesnt have, it is substituted by a different app. Same thing applies to the PC.

Except for games. The selection in mainstream games is limited at best.

uOpt

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Jassi
Except for games. The selection in mainstream games is limited at best.

Another problem is that older games you might want to play might be MacOX 9 and not all of them run in the compatibility layer of MacOX X.

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001

that's absolutely not true. in terms of *well designed software* though..hehe yeah they have about the same number

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
Gaming on Apples has always sort of been like playing games on your cell phone.... Macs have a limited selection of games, but there is still a variety to choose from:
http://macsoftgames.com/navpag...MacSoft-Game-Page.html
As well as:
http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/complete/
(be sure to scroll down to see the full list)

Of course there's also Blizzard (Starcraft, Warcraft III + expansions, and WoW).
http://www.blizzard.com

Three small companies that make simple, but fun Mac games:
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/all.html
http://www.freeverse.com/mac/
http://www.pangeasoft.net/index2.html

For some reviews, downloads, previews, etc:
http://www.apple.com/games
http://www.insidemacgames.com/
http://www.macgamefiles.com

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Originally posted by: dpopiz

that's absolutely not true. in terms of *well designed software* though..hehe yeah they have about the same number

Not true you say? How about naming some software that wont run on the Mac that is on the PC other than games. If that app isnt available, it is substituted by something else. Like I said, same thing applies to the PC.

randumb

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2003
Macs have a lot of popular games, they just usually come out a lot later than the Windows versions.

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
I play games like Halo and Unreal Tournament on my Mac. Though I am not much of a gamer, the games are pretty fun. I think, IMO, those are the best games available for the Mac. :)

randumb

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2003

One gripe I have with Mac software is Office 2004 - crap compared to the Windows version (2003).

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Originally posted by: randumb

One gripe I have with Mac software is Office 2004 - crap compared to the Windows version (2003).

That is true. I own Office 2004, and it is a lot slower than the Windows version. I dont like the Mac version much either. But Microsoft Office is one thing I cant live without, so it was a must have.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Lol... office sucks on either platform... office 2004 for mac gets the job done though... but yeah your right not as snappy as we would like it to be...

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
The Mac world is lacking pretty much any professional electrical engineering software, as well as certain CAD and mechanical design apps (Pro/Engineer and AutoCAD). But aside from that, I think pretty much all of the other categories are covered.

I use the older Office v.X on my PowerBook, it works great for me and I've heard that it's faster than Office 2004. I suppose I will eventually be forced to upgrade at some point. Honestly though, right now most PowerPoint .ppt files I get will open just fine in Keynote and most Word .doc files open just fine in TextEdit. I also have OpenOffice which works pretty well. Even though I have it installed, I rarely run Office.

It sounds like many Mac users like Mariner Calc as a replacement for Excel, and Nisus Writer Express as a replacement for Word, but I haven't used either personally.