Power recliners and other HT seating

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
So I'm currently looking around for home theater seating, and generally like the approach of a straight "sectional" where it is 2 or 3 recliners with consoles between them. I definitely want built-in cupholders!

But, I don't know if putting around $500 or less for a power recliner is a good idea. Are these generally going to last long? Or is it more likely I'm going to get stuck with a broken recline function?

For that kind of price, is it better to stick to manual recline?

And there are going to be certain limitations here, because it has to be able to get down into the basement, with a relatively narrow doorway and stairs. For a few of the recliners I had been looking at, the backs are removable, so that could be what gets it downstairs.

Nov 29, 2006
I have been reading up a bit on this over on AVSForum. Seems power is the way to go. They seem to last a long time without issue and it gives you much more flexibility in the angle you may like to recline. Where as manual seems to be an all or nothing recline. They have a couple companies they recommend quite a bit over there. Ive been meaning to call this company to see what they are like price wise. rtheaters.com

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I have tow rows of leather theater recliners (Each row has two seats) and I run them side by side so everyone is sitting in one row instead of two. I have manual recliners and love them. I thought about power recliners but decided to skip that because like anything...it will break eventually. Mine have a large storage box between each seat with a flip up top and two cup holders between each seat as well. Everyone that watches movies in my theater room rave about the seats.