Power plans for Ryzen

punkncat

Oct 10, 2018
Aside from what I can look in on "the checkmarks" and see different between them, what are the real differences between:
Ryzen Power Plan
Balanced Power Plan

In regards both to what they REALLY do to both stock clocks for Ryzen and how it may or may not effect an overclock?

I will post some comments and thoughts later, I just want to see some replies first before muddying water.

Thanks

punkncat

Oct 10, 2018
Interesting. Thank you for the links.

I am NOT seeing any manner of improvement using the Ryzen plan. I have noted higher heat, more proc usage and oddly...when I use the Ryzen plan it is both increasing the base clock, but seems to be locking the OC to the level I set in BIOS. On the "balanced" plan it's actually using a lower idle clock, lower usage, and scales better into OC to the difference of about 200mhz.

This seems rather backwards, but some of the reading indicates a similar experience.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Interesting. Thank you for the links.

I am NOT seeing any manner of improvement using the Ryzen plan. I have noted higher heat, more proc usage and oddly...when I use the Ryzen plan it is both increasing the base clock, but seems to be locking the OC to the level I set in BIOS. On the "balanced" plan it's actually using a lower idle clock, lower usage, and scales better into OC to the difference of about 200mhz.

This seems rather backwards, but some of the reading indicates a similar experience.

It was released to help Ryzen in gaming while Windows and games were still be optimized for the Ryzen platform. It's really not a necessary tool now outside of playing around.