Solved! Power Outage While Creating Partition on HDD.

ZeroTwo

Nov 1, 2013
Hi guys,

I have this 1TB hard drive, only 357GB out of 1TB is used so I was creating a 100GB partition for Linux. I used an Easeus Partition Master to create the partition, and then it was at around 90% completion, I got a sudden power outage which lead to the PC being shut down. When I boot to windows back again, only 830GB is now available as shown by the file explorer (aka "This PC") :
Screenshot (74)_LI.jpg

The 100GB partition I was trying to create cannot be found anywhere although the drive itself has now decreased in size. Windows Disk management and Easeus Partition Master still shows the HDD as 1TB (931GB) but the rest 100GB is not accessible. Even if I try to create a partition from it again, the process completes but doesn't actually make any changes. The data inside the drive seems to be intact as far as I know, I would like to fix this issue without losing or backing up my data. As you can see, I don't really have a space in other drives for 350GB backup, and complete format will be my last resort. I tried fixing it with Easeus partition recovery but it didn't find any problem.

Screenshot (71)_LI.jpg

Screenshot (75)_LI.jpg

I would be very glad if anyone can help me. Thanks.

Solution
Try using testdisk to restore the old partition table, since the current one is probably messed up.
Running windows scandisk could also work but that could also be dangerous to your data.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Hi guys,

I have this 1TB hard drive, only 357GB out of 1TB is used so I was creating a 100GB partition for Linux. I used an Easeus Partition Master to create the partition, and then it was at around 90% completion, I got a sudden power outage which lead to the PC being shut down. When I boot to windows back again, only 830GB is now available as shown by the file explorer (aka "This PC") :
View attachment 43485

The 100GB partition I was trying to create cannot be found anywhere although the drive itself has now decreased in size. Windows Disk management and Easeus Partition Master still shows the HDD as 1TB (931GB) but the rest 100GB is not accessible. Even if I try to create a partition from it again, the process completes but doesn't actually make any changes. The data inside the drive seems to be intact as far as I know, I would like to fix this issue without losing or backing up my data. As you can see, I don't really have a space in other drives for 350GB backup, and complete format will be my last resort. I tried fixing it with Easeus partition recovery but it didn't find any problem.

View attachment 43486

View attachment 43487

I would be very glad if anyone can help me. Thanks.

Use diskpart command, select the disk, then use clean command, it will wipe it and you can start over.

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
It looks like the NTFS filesystem may have been successfully shrunk to some degree, but the partition containing that filesystem did not get resized to match the new end point. Try resizing the filesystem/partition again, and if it completes successfully this time then the partition table should get updated to indicate where's there's free space for creating a new partition.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ZeroTwo

Nov 1, 2013
It looks like the NTFS filesystem may have been successfully shrunk to some degree, but the partition containing that filesystem did not get resized to match the new end point. Try resizing the filesystem/partition again, and if it completes successfully this time then the partition table should get updated to indicate where's there's free space for creating a new partition.
As mentioned, I have tried creating the partition again, I got a successful message but nothing happens, no partition. I did this twice.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Try using testdisk to restore the old partition table, since the current one is probably messed up.
Running windows scandisk could also work but that could also be dangerous to your data.

Solution

ZeroTwo

Nov 1, 2013
I tried to run it before but was a bit hesitant because I've never used it before.

Anyway, tried it, quick search didn't seem to find anything. Currently running a "deeper search" and seems like it's going to take a while. Attached screenshot, do you find "892/830GB" a bit weird? I don't understand what it means.

Screenshot (75).png

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
892 GB is 830 GiB
GiB: 1024-based units
GB: 1000-based units

Partition table is a simple data structure. Its updates are almost atomic.
Filesystem is not. Its metadata (and content) is easier to corrupt. Filesystem is (usually) inside partition.

"Partitioning" in Windows GUI adjusts both, for "convenience". Usually safe as it keeps partitions and filesystems in sync.

ZeroTwo

Nov 1, 2013
892 GB is 830 GiB
GiB: 1024-based units
GB: 1000-based units

Partition table is a simple data structure. Its updates are almost atomic.
Filesystem is not. Its metadata (and content) is easier to corrupt. Filesystem is (usually) inside partition.

"Partitioning" in Windows GUI adjusts both, for "convenience". Usually safe as it keeps partitions and filesystems in sync.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't notice the small 'i' in GiB. Also, I never knew Gibibyte existed.

ZeroTwo

Nov 1, 2013
So, after Deep Searching, testdisk found the missing 100GB partition and I was able to recover it. However, a new problem arises, the good 830GB partition is now inaccessible, windows disk management list it as RAW. I didn't do anything to the good partition (left it untouched).
Screenshot (79).png
Screenshot (78).png

The tool while very good is a bit complicated for me to be honest. Any idea how to fix this?
Are you able to access the data on the lost drive from windows ? Can the data be saved to another drive if you had one ?
Yeah, I was able to copy and access the files just fine, now I cannot access the partition itself.

EDIT :
I ran the Quick search on test disk again, select the drive, simply pressed enter, write and then reboot fixed the issue. Thanks everyone for taking your time to answer.

Last edited: