Power on/off PC via remote (universal)

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I have 2 questions.

Has anyone ever tried to put in a after market IR receiver on a PC case to turn on/off the PC? Something like Simerec PCS-2. I am interested in trying it. missing remote has great review about it, but wondering is anyone has any personal experience. Its a bit expensive at $40, I remember researching it a while back and there were cheaper alternatives available, but cant any others now. This comes with instructions on how to get it to work with universal remote.

That brings me to my second question -
I have a HTPC case with built in IR, came with a remote, works great! but I don't know how to use a universal remote to power it on. I researched online but couldn't find its "code" or any instruction on how to get it to work universal remote.

The remote I want to use it not harmony, but one that came with my TV, it can power on/off upto 4 devices. Other one that I intend to use is Galaxy Universal Remote. It comes with a list of devices I have to choose from, it does not support generic devices.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
That's pretty cool. I may have to look into one of those. I'd have to use it with my Next Gen Remote Extender http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...pr_product_top since my HTPCs are beyond line of sight, and I love that it allows any remote to send RF to IR signals through walls.

Anyway, the one thing that gives me pause with that thing is the "just attach to the purple wire on the PSU" instruction. Say what? Does that litterally mean snip a wire on my PSU and attach that? That sounds really invasive. I'm very into DIY, but don't know if I'm up for snipping PSU wires. I hoping maybe I just misunderstood that.

I currently just use WOL to power on my HTPCs- thankfully it works very reliably, just requires a device on the LAN to send the WOL command.

In the past, I actually created a remote switch using 50 ft of thin copper wire, attached to front panel PWR switch, and a simple push-on/push off button. I mounted the button on an end table, and just ran the cable out of sight to the HTPC located in my AV closet. That works really well as I discovered you can actually run a PC on/off switch as far from the case as you want, so long as you have a place to mount a switch for it. But an IR remote switch like this would be the more elegant solution.

That remote with your HTPC case seems like its probably just a standard MCE remote to me. I doubt it'd be able to power on the PC.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
That's pretty cool. I may have to look into one of those. I'd have to use it with my Next Gen Remote Extender http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...pr_product_top since my HTPCs are beyond line of sight, and I love that it allows any remote to send RF to IR signals through walls.

Here is the Rf version, no need for remote extender. Its not ideal for me as I am trying to use universal IR remote

Anyway, the one thing that gives me pause with that thing is the "just attach to the purple wire on the PSU" instruction. Say what? Does that litterally mean snip a wire on my PSU and attach that? That sounds really invasive. I'm very into DIY, but don't know if I'm up for snipping PSU wires. I hoping maybe I just misunderstood that.

It's common for all version of remote, ir or rf, that can turn on or off your pc, to connect to the purple wire. Even my case with built in IR has it, they need constant power even when PC is off and only way to get it, is to tap directly into wires coming from the PSU before it reaches mobo. However, if it scares you, you can always use something like this.

That remote with your HTPC case seems like its probably just a standard MCE remote to me. I doubt it'd be able to power on the PC
It actually does, all these MCE remotes that come with the case, can actually power on the PC too

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Nice, I just ordered an RF version. The last time I looked for such a gizmo, I couldn't find anything.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Nice, I just ordered an RF version. The last time I looked for such a gizmo, I couldn't find anything.

cool, let us know how it goes. Are you planning to tapping directly into PSU's Purple wire? or getting extension?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Thankfully it comes with the PSU extension. (Thanks for the link, BTW). I'll let you know how it works.

For only $17 it's a steal. I'm just wondering if using more than one, if the RF signal is unique per unit, or would the same remote turn on multiple machines? I'll have to ask the seller- would like to get one for a remote server as well.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Received my remote kit and installed it this past weekend on my main HTPC.

It works perfectly!

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Received my remote kit and installed it this past weekend on my main HTPC.

It works perfectly!

So it just replaces/mimics the old power button? Whatever function you assign to it in the OS, turn off/sleep/hibernate, it does that?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
So it just replaces/mimics the old power button? Whatever function you assign to it in the OS, turn off/sleep/hibernate, it does that?

Convieniently, it has a bypass that allows the front panel power button to still function as normal. In the diagram there's a male connector for the case switch.
connection2.jpg

I haven't tried assigning another function other than the default power on/off to it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't function 100% the same as anything the front panel button would do, since it's just a simple contact switch. The RF remote function works perfect. Perfect addition to any PC that needs to be turned on remotely, so perfect for those of us with our htpcs completely out of line of sight, or just for anyone that doesn't feel like even getting up to switch an HTPC on.

Last edited:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
What I did was set my HTPC to go to sleep after 30 minutes. That way my remote can wake it with a power on signal. I never actually turn my HTPC all the way off though. I'm not sure I'd want to do that since then it wouldn't automatically wake to start recordings and other scheduled jobs.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I use my Logitech diNovo mini. It shuts off the computer, lowers or raises the volume and has a mini finger pad. So it works with Windows 7 and XBMC and is compact without being too small. I am happy with it.

I just wish I could leverage the diNovo with my AV receiver and TV for off/on, device selection and channel changer. But sticking with just the HTPC, it works very well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mini-...r-Playstation/