Power Dissipation Calculation

TVS

Apr 12, 2000
How to calculate power dissipation from overclocked CPU ? It's just only a knowledge, not any speacial purpose.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
via spec sheets, or with a little program called radiate available at overclockers.com for a quick approximation.

Mike

uart

May 26, 2000
To a rough approximation the power dissipation will increase in direct proportion to the frequency and in proportion to the square of the voltage.

Muerto

Golden Member
Dec 26, 1999
Power is equal to the core voltage times the current going through your CPU, P=IV. Check the technical documents for your CPU find out what the current is.

uart,

So you're saying that power = frequency x voltage sqaured, P=f*V^2? According to that my CPU is dissapating 2.45 Giga-Watts. :Q:Q I think I'm missing something. ;)

johncar

Jul 18, 2000
Muerto,
uart wrote...."To a rough approximation the power dissipation will increase in direct proportion to the frequency and in proportion to the square of the voltage". Key words are "pd will increase"...not "pd equals".

Uart expressed power dissipation as a RATIO between oc'd freq and spec freq and voltage voltage...which answers TVS's question re power dissipation of "overclocked" cpu.

PDoc = PDspec*(MHZoc/MHZspec)*(VCOREoc/VCOREspec)^2

If you know/estimate PDspec you can calc PDoc for oc'd conditions. That's how it's most frequently done.
John C. aka Le Vieux