Power Calibration Error???

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I was trying to burn a DVD yesterday and it(nero) gave me a "Power Calibration Error" and would not burn the dvd. Today it did the same thing after I rebooted, so I shut down and pulled the thing out and looked at it, and plugged it into a different power cable. Again I am getting a "Power Calibration Error". Is my burner toast? Or is there some flaw with my system that needs fixing? I have tried more than one type of blank dvd with it, and all of them worked before I got this error. Also it will still play dvds, just won't burn them. Well thanks in advance for all your help.
EDIT: MY burner is a Pioneer DVR-A05.
EDIT 2: Has nobody else had this problem before?

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I tried a couple princo discs, and some memorex and verbatim. None of them worked all got a Power Calibration error.

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Atlantean
Hmm doesn't seem that anyone has heard of this...

I have heard of this,it's usually caused by bad media,but you tried different ones & got the same error.:(

looks like it's time to go buy a Pioneer 107 . :)

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: shady06
i got that a lot with nero as well, it doesnt like the media you are using

Its weird though cause it worked fine with the same media last week. Then all of the sudden I started getting this message. I have tried several types of media and all had the same error.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
That is strange- have you tried a firmware update? As several people have pointed out, Power Calibration Errors are usually signs that the drive doesn't like those discs. However, if you're getting that with all different brands, then it sounds like the laser pickup's screwed :)
You've got nothing to lose by trying a firmware update, if that doesn't solve it then a 107 might be in order ;)

[Edit] Just had a thought- have you tried dismantling the drive and cleaning it out? Simply blowing compressed air into a CD drive usually causes the dust to simply move around a bit, if you take the drive competely to bits and clean it out thoroughly, that might solve it.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: DopeFiend
That is strange- have you tried a firmware update? As several people have pointed out, Power Calibration Errors are usually signs that the drive doesn't like those discs. However, if you're getting that with all different brands, then it sounds like the laser pickup's screwed :)
You've got nothing to lose by trying a firmware update, if that doesn't solve it then a 107 might be in order ;)

[Edit] Just had a thought- have you tried dismantling the drive and cleaning it out? Simply blowing compressed air into a CD drive usually causes the dust to simply move around a bit, if you take the drive competely to bits and clean it out thoroughly, that might solve it.

I would do that but I have an extended warranty on it so I am just gonna return it and get the plextor drive. Just thought I would check to see if anyone knows if its the drive or just a software problem.