Question Potential trouble with ReFS

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
MS managed to take away the possibility for me to make new refs-partitions with an autumn update a year or so ago. Now to the question:

My REFS-array I made in 2015 is still up and running, but if a drive dies (2-way mirror) and I want to replace that with a new, will Windows be able to format my new drive to REFS or am I screwed?

I'm feeling that MS has kidnapped my data in a sense here. I guess i could spend 200 usd on an external drive, put all my files there, reformat the old refs to a ntfs -VHD and move the files back, but I'm, not that keen on shilling out $200 just to be able re -partition my harddrives. What happens tomorrow? Are MS deprecating NTFS for the next autumn update, making me unable to add new drives to an existing array?

This move they did with removing support for REFS in win 10 must be the shittiest move in a very long time anyways.

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
It is time to start thinking about a real backup solution. Mirroring is not backup.
Oh, I know. I have a smaller Nas taking backups on the most essential from my refs software raid, and then on longer intervals cold storage on older internal HDDs. But that's quite a hassle.

But that wasn't the question. The question was, has ms fucked me in the ass, or is it possible to rebuild data on the now more nerfed win versions?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It's nothing new that MS keeps screwing up millions of people, including me. Complaining will not change anything.

Windows 10 Enterprise and WIndows 10 Pro for Workstation (not just Windows 10 Pro) are the versions that will continue to support creating ReFS volumes if you can't give up ReFS file system at the moment. For how long? Nobody knows.

Reactions: Muadib

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
It's nothing new that MS keeps screwing up millions of people, including me. Complaining will not change anything.

Windows 10 Enterprise and WIndows 10 Pro for Workstation (not just Windows 10 Pro) are the versions that will continue to support creating ReFS volumes if you can't give up ReFS file system at the moment. For how long? Nobody knows.
Yes, but that wasn't the question either, is it possible to remove a disk and replace it?
Will my virtual drive continue on or have they killed it so to speak. Fine, I can't build another refs, but can I add drives?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yes, but that wasn't the question either, is it possible to remove a disk and replace it?
Will my virtual drive continue on or have they killed it so to speak. Fine, I can't build another refs, but can I add drives?
I don't know. My gut feeling is that you can't.

Take a look at ReFS file system supporting OS matrix.

Also read Stability and known problems: No third party tools.

==

Just move away from ReFS.