Pot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Here's my point of view, you are free to disagree:

The problem with the current "war on drugs" is they have their heads in the sand. They spend billions of dollars trying to demonize marijuana, all the while hunting after a completely unrealistic ideal, the complete eradication of drugs. They can't, or don't want to, get their heads around the idea that drugs are here to stay. They already are here in the form of alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, pain killers etc... Too much of the anti drug movement is focused on morals, and not enough on scientific facts. Hence alcohol goes almost unnoticed, while pot, arguably less dangerous than alcohol, gets demonized into something 10 times worse than cocaine. While few would argue over the dangers of cocaine and heroine the debate over marijuana is much less clear. From what little I know it seems the science on both sides is somewhat suspect with large government funded studies sometimes clearly overselling the dangers of pot while other independent ones clearly underselling it. I would not be surprised if when the dust settles it turns out the dangers of smoking pot are significant in the long run, in the form of increased risk to lung cancer and the like, but less dangerous than cigarettes. In my opinion they need to start looking at this realistically, concentrate on the drugs that cause the greatest harm while putting out a level headed and truthful message about pot, in the long run it will help far more people than hurt. Kids know when they are being lied to, they know friends and parents of friends who have smoked for years without dying or loosing their job and becoming bums, so when they see an ad telling them this stuff is as dangerous as can be they naturally ignore it, along with the potential real dangers posed by marijuana. There also needs to be a stronger focus on those suffering from drug addiction, the current message almost seems to be "drugs are the most evil thing on the planet and will completely destroy you if you take them, so don't because if you do you're beyond hope and we won't even try helping you". Ok that's too strong but there does need to be a stronger emphasis on rehabilitation and less on heavy handed moral messages.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and no I have never smoked it.

They are significant. The chemical concentrations in marijuana and tobacco are roughly going to be the same. They are both extremely carcenogenic, look at any marijuana vaporizer study... Look how much crap they get out and how much stuff is still left.

If we knew how bad smoking really was we could have made it illegal, but we where dumb@asses. Drugs have no benifit to society, unless your speaking of a medical puorpose.

In my opinion - To fix or lower pot usage

1 - Less much less jail time, you don't need to goto jail for smoking pot. If you commit a violent crime that related to pot, then yes you do need to goto jail. We need strict fines, lot of fines. Don't pay them? You don't need to get your tax return this year.

2 - Mandatory Drug Test for High School Extra-Circular Activites

3 - More focus on the heath risks, not just "It's bad for lungs". You need to know why its bad for your lungs.

4 - Fine parents who ignore the problem - I'd love to see how this one would work out :)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
...time and health waster..makes ya fail a pre-employment/random/post accident test. No more job.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
Originally posted by: IGBT
...time and health waster..makes ya fail a pre-employment/random/post accident test. No more job.

agreed, but slam a 12 pack and go to bed at 1am, get up at six and drive to work and youre still under the influence.

but hey, its legal.:beer:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BannedTroll
Sheeple that believe that pot has significant addictive properties or health effects are misinformed. It doesn't take a very indepth look at the history of pot, medical publications and drug laws to realize that.

you said "sheeple". Therefore, you should die a horrible death.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I have never technically smoked it, but have eaten baked goods containing chemicals derived from it.

BannedTroll

Banned
Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: BannedTroll
Sheeple that believe that pot has significant addictive properties or health effects are misinformed. It doesn't take a very indepth look at the history of pot, medical publications and drug laws to realize that.

you said "sheeple". Therefore, you should die a horrible death.

sorry.....it fit

cosine17

Dec 15, 2004
overhyped

but still dangerousish

its not going to kill u the first time, but it will greatly effect u and ur judgement/etc/blah blah blah.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Regulatory parity for Tobacco, Alcohol and Marijuana. Just stiffen the regime for tobacco and loosen it for weed to where it is for alcohol. Tax it, save money prosecuting and jailing offenders, and pay for the mess in Iraq.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pot makes you dumb as fscking sh!t. Why the fsck you think they call it dope?

Most of you pea brains are dumb enough as it is.

You know what the most dangerous thing on earth is?

I'll bet you don't....dumbass...

ok I'll tell you

Human Stupidity.

That's right. Worse than any tsunami, earthquake, or whatever natural event you can think of.

there is no devil. the most evil destructive force on earth are stupid humans in large numbers.

they've killed more people for the worst fscking reasons imaginable.

and you think it's ok for people to get even dumber than that?

how fscking stupid can you get?

/end rant mode.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: element

yeah, because pot smokers have these high-level jobs that require a lot of thinking :roll:

If the fry cook at the local McDonald's wants to forget about life for a while on his free time, pot's a much safer bet than alcohol.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001

ok I'll tell you

Human Stupidity.

That's right. Worse than any tsunami, earthquake, or whatever natural event you can think of.

there is no devil. the most evil destructive force on earth are stupid humans in large numbers.

/end rant mode.

You aren't none to bright yourself it seems. I wasn't arguing that marijuana had no side effects or that it should be endorsed. I was arguing that the "war on drugs" oversells its dangers to a great extent compared to drugs such as heroine, cocaine, etc... I was arguing that they need to shift their focus away from moral rants to realistic education and rehabilitation. I completely agree with you that human kind is stupid enough as it is, no need to scream.

cosine17

Dec 15, 2004

yeah, because pot smokers have these high-level jobs that require a lot of thinking :roll:

If the fry cook at the local McDonald's wants to forget about life for a while on his free time, pot's a much safer bet than alcohol.

there are plenty of very smart people that smoke weed.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
i don't think it's that dangerous and i don't think it's that exciting either. overhyped from both sides of the field.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: cosine17

there are plenty of very smart people that smoke weed.

Musicians, authors and artist are famous for it, and not all of them that are famous for it are bad either. Many others do too.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

ok I'll tell you

Human Stupidity.

/end rant mode.

You must've smoked a sh!tload of pot to get as stupid as you are then.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Propoganda. Stereotype. Your brain on drugs as fried was a 'just say no' era campaign that was good rhetoric but short on fact. In fact, many of the great intellects of our time have been pot smokers, and look at the guys like Edison and Ford who used cocaine. You can get a lazy brain sitting on a couch watching reality TV with or without pot, or you can acheive academic and professional success while using pot on a regular basis. It isn't so much the drugs as much as the lackadasical attitude and the lack of discipline that leads to the burnt-out syndrome.

Nov 7, 2000
drug problems come from within the person, not the drug

its nice to have a scapegoat for society's ills, but its not that simple

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Tabb
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Here's my point of view, you are free to disagree:

The problem with the current "war on drugs" is they have their heads in the sand. They spend billions of dollars trying to demonize marijuana, all the while hunting after a completely unrealistic ideal, the complete eradication of drugs. They can't, or don't want to, get their heads around the idea that drugs are here to stay. They already are here in the form of alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, pain killers etc... Too much of the anti drug movement is focused on morals, and not enough on scientific facts. Hence alcohol goes almost unnoticed, while pot, arguably less dangerous than alcohol, gets demonized into something 10 times worse than cocaine. While few would argue over the dangers of cocaine and heroine the debate over marijuana is much less clear. From what little I know it seems the science on both sides is somewhat suspect with large government funded studies sometimes clearly overselling the dangers of pot while other independent ones clearly underselling it. I would not be surprised if when the dust settles it turns out the dangers of smoking pot are significant in the long run, in the form of increased risk to lung cancer and the like, but less dangerous than cigarettes. In my opinion they need to start looking at this realistically, concentrate on the drugs that cause the greatest harm while putting out a level headed and truthful message about pot, in the long run it will help far more people than hurt. Kids know when they are being lied to, they know friends and parents of friends who have smoked for years without dying or loosing their job and becoming bums, so when they see an ad telling them this stuff is as dangerous as can be they naturally ignore it, along with the potential real dangers posed by marijuana. There also needs to be a stronger focus on those suffering from drug addiction, the current message almost seems to be "drugs are the most evil thing on the planet and will completely destroy you if you take them, so don't because if you do you're beyond hope and we won't even try helping you". Ok that's too strong but there does need to be a stronger emphasis on rehabilitation and less on heavy handed moral messages.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and no I have never smoked it.

They are significant. The chemical concentrations in marijuana and tobacco are roughly going to be the same. They are both extremely carcenogenic, look at any marijuana vaporizer study... Look how much crap they get out and how much stuff is still left.

If we knew how bad smoking really was we could have made it illegal, but we where dumb@asses. Drugs have no benifit to society, unless your speaking of a medical puorpose.

In my opinion - To fix or lower pot usage

1 - Less much less jail time, you don't need to goto jail for smoking pot. If you commit a violent crime that related to pot, then yes you do need to goto jail. We need strict fines, lot of fines. Don't pay them? You don't need to get your tax return this year.

2 - Mandatory Drug Test for High School Extra-Circular Activites

3 - More focus on the heath risks, not just "It's bad for lungs". You need to know why its bad for your lungs.

4 - Fine parents who ignore the problem - I'd love to see how this one would work out :)

Drug nazi.

Here's the deal, yes pot is bad for your lungs, but who smokes 20 joints a day, everyday, for their entire life? No one I've ever met. Smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, however, is not uncommon at all. Yeah, smoking pot isn't gonna help your lungs at all, but its not nearly as bad as cigarettes, just for the fact that even the biggest stoner smokes doesn't smoke nearly as much pot as a smoker smokes cigarettes.

Fine parents who ignore the problem? That's BS, so many kids can get away with smoking and their parents don't have the first clue. Let kids be kids. Maybe worry about steriods in high school, or even (GASP) grades instead of stupid BS like drugs. I don't think pot has ever got in the way of anyone with an actual future and real desire. It just so happens that plenty of future losers happen to be the earliest adopters of pot.

Violent crime related to pot? Maybe if someone gets inbetween me and my cheetos....

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic

ok I'll tell you

Human Stupidity.

/end rant mode.

You've got a good sig:" "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of Man." -- Thomas Jefferson "

But a stupid post. You've offered nothing but an ad hominem attack, in other words attacking the person rather than the discussed topic.

Not only that, you've done so most unconvincingly and your comment was witless, deviod of any humor or intelligence as well.

Go die in a fire due to dropping your joint on some flammable materials and stfu.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: daveshel

Propoganda. Stereotype. Your brain on drugs as fried was a 'just say no' era campaign that was good rhetoric but short on fact. In fact, many of the great intellects of our time have been pot smokers, and look at the guys like Edison and Ford who used cocaine. You can get a lazy brain sitting on a couch watching reality TV with or without pot, or you can acheive academic and professional success while using pot on a regular basis. It isn't so much the drugs as much as the lackadasical attitude and the lack of discipline that leads to the burnt-out syndrome.

Agreed. However I would say that hard drugs like cocaine really are very dangerous. That's not to say there aren't people who haven't used it and even gotten some benefit out of it in terms of mental inspiration and the like, musician, authors, inventors, a lot of people, but I would think that you would have to be extremely well grounded mentally, something few people are, to prevent long term addiction and the resultant physical and mental harm. There are definitely people who can use even hard drugs without falling into the deadly spiral of destruction that characterizes these drugs, and even receive benefits from them, but they are not the norm and by the time you find out if you are one of these people or not you're usually already addicted. Note I'm talking about the really hard drugs like cocaine and the like. Not "dope".

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic

ok I'll tell you

Human Stupidity.

/end rant mode.

You've got a good sig:" "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of Man." -- Thomas Jefferson "

But a stupid post. You've offered nothing but an ad hominem attack, in other words attacking the person rather than the discussed topic.

Not only that, you've done so most unconvincingly and your comment was witless, deviod of any humor or intelligence as well.

Go die in a fire due to dropping your joint on some flammable materials and stfu.

Maybe, but your post was pretty retarted. Pot might affect my brain, but 3 hours later I am pretty sure that as dumb as it might make me, its all worn off.

I still get As in college, I hold a decent job, and I've kept my scholarship quite easily even if I smoke a lot of pot (and I do). So how is it making me "dumb as fvcking sh!t", as you so eloquently put it?