Post your trade secrets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I haven't worked stock at a grocery store for a long time but...

When you ask me to "check out back" for an item thats out of stock but may have come off the truck, I do not go out back and disassemble all the pallets of stock looking for your one item that may or may not be in that pallet. That is a huge pain in the ass and likely a waste of time. What I will do is say that I will check out back, go out back...and stand around out back for an indeterminate amount of time. I will then come out empty handed.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Skiddex
job: bouncer

secret: you can bitch and moan to a bouncer about quality of service, alcohol prices, ugly bartenders and what not. most of what you are saying is going in one ear and out the other, unless you have a spectacular body. but the moment, you insult the bouncer, dont count on being allowed to finish your drink.

LMAO ... bouncers are typically the biggest tools in the world who think they are hot shlt. hopefully you aren't like that.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Job: IT in the auto industry

Secrets: The same engineers design vital systems for both Mercedes and Daewoo.

The same parts go to Toyota and to Ford.

There has been times when companies have rented cars from local rental agencies specifically to dismantle them to see how part perform. They then re-build and return the car. Most often with a box of parts left over.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
job: currently incarcerated in a minimal security prison

secret: as told to me by my good friend and lawyer rob newhouse: "kick someone's ass the first day, or become someone's bitch. then everything will be all right."

Skiddex

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: Skiddex
job: bouncer

secret: you can bitch and moan to a bouncer about quality of service, alcohol prices, ugly bartenders and what not. most of what you are saying is going in one ear and out the other, unless you have a spectacular body. but the moment, you insult the bouncer, dont count on being allowed to finish your drink.

LMAO ... bouncers are typically the biggest tools in the world who think they are hot shlt. hopefully you aren't like that.

im not THAT big of a tool...haha, jk. Really though, i work at a smaller bar, lots of fun, and am nice to everyone. i can normally take insults until the cows come home, but coming from a drunk person i dont know really lights a fire under my a$$

bigfil

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2004
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
Job: PC Support
Secret: Change your career while you still can.

that job sounds familiar
was at the same job not but 3 months ago hehe

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
My friend is a law student, he mentions that a lot of "terms and conditions" you often agree to every day, are often not actually enforceable in court and hold no water.

So if you ever think you got screwed in a transaction because of terms you agreed to, a lawyer might be able to dig you out. :D

obligatory bump

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Job: Pool cleaner
Secret: If water isn't flowing from the pump within seconds of turning it on, turn it off... applies to pool owners as well. Oh, and don't open the acid container in a warm and poorly ventilated garage.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
the secret ingredient in coke is a substance derived from cinnimon and falls under "natural flavors"

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
Job: Employee at Blockbuster video
Secret: You actually have seven days after the due date on your movie before you're charged the full price of the disc. This means that all two-day rentals are nine-day rentals. If you do get charged for the movie, you can return it within thirty days and only be charged a dollar twenty five.
Secret 2: Blockbuster online throttles just as bad, if not worse, than netflix.