Post your saving money hacks for these inflationary times RIGHT HERE

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Prices spiraling out of control, and its only going to get worse with President Dipshit in charge. Post your saving money hacks right here!!! My contribution:

Made fajitas tonight. But instead of cooking the whole pack, I only cooked about 1/3 of it. We each had one fajita taco. Then for the others we just ate the tortilla with onions and grilled peppers inside, plus just a weeee bit of cheese. Cut out a vast majority of the cost, and honestly, they still tasted not too shabby. After we run out of the meet after that I think it will be 100% veggie fajita tacos until we get past this end of world scenario.

Post yours!!!

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Meat around here has increased in price far more than produce. So we've been eating less meat in general lately. Probably something we should be doing for a number of reasons anyway, but price is a big one now. So don't shy away from looking up vegetarian recipes to save some money if nothing else. Also, trying to force a non-vegetarian dish to be vegetarian usually doesn't work IMO... so focus on finding original recipes instead of substitutions.

My wife's sister recommended these tacos, and they're fantastic: Roasted Sweet Potato + Cauliflower Tacos {Vegan, Dairy-Free} (playswellwithbutter.com)

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I bought a bunch of Old Croc Cheddar from Walmart. Their $3.77 a pack is still better than the 7 bucks elsewhere.

Sorry, but the veganism and "starchism" MUST be stopped, the latter being the real component of every fucking diet salesman on the planet sans the keto or low carber crowd.

If Veganism doesn't got the way of Carthage, the world will be a worse off place.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Inflation has been affecting me for quite a few years already so I've pretty much been avoiding any major purchases that I can do without, such as computer upgrades or toys. I have some stuff pushing 10 years old still running. On the other hand I have been buying a lot of stuff for my off grid property... but I see that as a future investment as once that's fully setup I will save tons of money living there as I'll eliminate most of my costs of living.

I've been avoiding driving as much as I can, can only do that so much though. I might consider getting a bike, so at very least in the summer months I could bike to most places. Ebike would be ideal so I'm not arriving all sweaty. Then I can pedal back home.

I've cut back on take out too, at least as much as I can. I have a bad habit of getting take out when I'm on night shifts as I only get hungry once I'm at work, but I really should get in the habit of just preparing some food ahead of time and bringing it. I've been on and off with that. Take out has gotten crazy expensive now, basically $30+ for one meal.

I've also lowered my bills as far as I possibly can. Went with the lowest tier internet, minimum insurance coverage etc. I also keep my house very cool as to use less natural gas. I need to work on the automation stuff so I can start offloading house loads to my solar system as well then I can save a bit on hydro. Though it won't really be that much, it's not the usage that's a lot, it's the fixed fees. I have 2 340w solar panels I bought on sale for my off grid property but toying with just keeping them for the house. I might set them up on my deck. If I put them high enough up on a pergola I can get sun for a good part of the day. I'd just need to make sure I can easily get to them with a broom to take snow off in winter.

That said my biggest bill is water/sewer and property taxes which go up every single year, and nothing I can really do about those under than move, which is where the off grid property comes in. Only $100/year taxes out there. So for now I try to save in places where I can.

I also lowered my mortgage payment years back. I can't go any lower at this point, but it opens next year, so depending on where I stand financially I could consider lowering it more. Problem with that is it does end up costing me more in the long run so I should try to focus on paying it down faster, not slower.

Reactions: Captante

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Prices spiraling out of control, and its only going to get worse with President Dipshit in charge. Post your saving money hacks right here!!! My contribution:

Made fajitas tonight. But instead of cooking the whole pack, I only cooked about 1/3 of it. We each had one fajita taco. Then for the others we just ate the tortilla with onions and grilled peppers inside, plus just a weeee bit of cheese. Cut out a vast majority of the cost, and honestly, they still tasted not too shabby. After we run out of the meet after that I think it will be 100% veggie fajita tacos until we get past this end of world scenario.

Post yours!!!
Wow I thought you were a successful wealthy businessmen based on your post history and here you are eating veggie fajitas. I am shocked.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay and Meghan54

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Meat around here has increased in price far more than produce. So we've been eating less meat in general lately. Probably something we should be doing for a number of reasons anyway, but price is a big one now. So don't shy away from looking up vegetarian recipes to save some money if nothing else. Also, trying to force a non-vegetarian dish to be vegetarian usually doesn't work IMO... so focus on finding original recipes instead of substitutions.

My wife's sister recommended these tacos, and they're fantastic: Roasted Sweet Potato + Cauliflower Tacos {Vegan, Dairy-Free} (playswellwithbutter.com)

Awesome man, we thinking along very similar lines. Thanks for the recipies, will check them out!!!

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I bought a bunch of Old Croc Cheddar from Walmart. Their $3.77 a pack is still better than the 7 bucks elsewhere.

Sorry, but the veganism and "starchism" MUST be stopped, the latter being the real component of every fucking diet salesman on the planet sans the keto or low carber crowd.

If Veganism doesn't got the way of Carthage, the world will be a worse off place.

Hey Torn Mind, yo, so your hack is just buying cheese from Wal Mart rather than other places?

It seems like your anti-veganism is a (mostly) unrelated angle, unless you are saying that the best way to go is veganism PLUS CHEESE. But I think you are saying that veganism is downright bad for you? Is that right? I always thought it was supposed to be rather good for you, as long as you made sure to get complete proteins, all your needed fats, etc. But you think it is downright bad for you? Interesting.

If by starchism you mean the low-fat, high carb gang, I know that is a bad gig LOL.

Thanks!!!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Post yours!!!

The whole world is experiencing inflation and higher gas prices, is Biden responsible for all that too? The Euro region is experiencing record inflation. I guess Joe Biden is doing that too?

Some people just can't think. So many dumb dumbs in the world.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I don't have any friends, so I don't have to spend money going out and doing things with other people. :cool:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Hey Torn Mind, yo, so your hack is just buying cheese from Wal Mart rather than other places?

It seems like your anti-veganism is a (mostly) unrelated angle, unless you are saying that the best way to go is veganism PLUS CHEESE. But I think you are saying that veganism is downright bad for you? Is that right? I always thought it was supposed to be rather good for you, as long as you made sure to get complete proteins, all your needed fats, etc. But you think it is downright bad for you? Interesting.

If by starchism you mean the low-fat, high carb gang, I know that is a bad gig LOL.

Thanks!!!

I have no problem eating useful plants. Actually, I find a sardines and tofu(and soy milk once) to be particularly useful in fixing up my issues, which are partly long COVID-related. "Irritable" heart was a issue even this March, where I went for a run and my heart was beating hard and fast for 24 hours or more. The fish cleared up my brain fog last fall, while the soy really made me feel less stressed out. I actually find "bland" tofu perfectly fine to eat.

I believe some servings of oysters, mussels, fatty fish like wild sockeye salmon every week(1 canned serving or so, because I actually hate salmon and the prices are still expensive) provides a far more comprehensive fulfillment of micronutrients than going full "cell-wall only". High quality cheese(not Kraft and the like, but Old Croc, Cathedral City, etc) for bones/teeth.

My diet like, low carb, micros-terranean, budget-influenced.

One of the ways my mom saves a buck is to always wait for sales on various foods at the grocery stores nearby. This only works in places with sufficient population density to support more than one chain, and probably requires a vehicle. Where I am currently at, there are six. Safeway, Giant Food, Harris Teeter, Walmart(not that close), Shoppers food warehouse(never has anything except a $5 off meat coupon recently), Aldi, Lidl.

Fruits often "crash" in price when there is inventory close to expiration.

Sweet potatoes, one chain had a sale for Easter; I dunno if a southern hemisphere harvest also played a role in price or not. Price/lb also goes down around Thanksgiving for sweet potatoes.

Some places might sell liver, which is much cheaper than your standard muscle meats and much more dense nutritionally.

Plant your own gardens will also help, and if code allows it, raising livestock(chickens are probably the most practical as first a pet and then as food afterwards).

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I have no problem eating useful plants. Actually, I find a sardines and tofu(and soy milk once) to be particularly useful in fixing up my issues, which are partly long COVID-related. "Irritable" heart was a issue even this March, where I went for a run and my heart was beating hard and fast for 24 hours or more. The fish cleared up my brain fog last fall, while the soy really made me feel less stressed out. I actually find "bland" tofu perfectly fine to eat.

I believe some servings of oysters, mussels, fatty fish like wild sockeye salmon every week(1 canned serving or so, because I actually hate salmon and the prices are still expensive) provides a far more comprehensive fulfillment of micronutrients than going full "cell-wall only". High quality cheese(not Kraft and the like, but Old Croc, Cathedral City, etc) for bones/teeth.

My diet like, low carb, micros-terranean, budget-influenced.

One of the ways my mom saves a buck is to always wait for sales on various foods at the grocery stores nearby. This only works in places with sufficient population density to support more than one chain, and probably requires a vehicle. Where I am currently at, there are six. Safeway, Giant Food, Harris Teeter, Walmart(not that close), Shoppers food warehouse(never has anything except a $5 off meat coupon recently), Aldi, Lidl.

Fruits often "crash" in price when there is inventory close to expiration.

Sweet potatoes, one chain had a sale for Easter; I dunno if a southern hemisphere harvest also played a role in price or not. Price/lb also goes down around Thanksgiving for sweet potatoes.

Some places might sell liver, which is much cheaper than your standard muscle meats and much more dense nutritionally.

Plant your own gardens will also help, and if code allows it, raising livestock(chickens are probably the most practical as first a pet and then as food afterwards).

Do you exercise regularly? It sounds like you're trying to replicate the benefits of exercise with food, without exercising. That ain't gonna work.

Reactions: nakedfrog

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Do you exercise regularly? It sounds like you're trying to replicate the benefits of exercise with food, without exercising. That ain't gonna work.
Take a gander at some of his other posts and you'll see a common theme.

I haven't really done anything to counteract inflation. Trying to bump up my salary a bit more with a higher level role, but the wife also wants a new house so back at square one. We've got a fair amount of travel scheduled this year so we'll probably end the year a bit worse than last year in terms of spending. Putting off some house projects that are $$

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I kind of wish I had stuck to crypto mining when I started. I'd probably have a decent amount worth cashing in at this point. I was worried about the taxes when I found out they tax crypto though. I just have no idea how to even pay them or how to calculate it and just did not want to be bothered. But if I had a decent amount I could probably just hire an accountant that specializes in crypto. If I recall 1 eth was like $600 when I was mining and it's like $3,000 now. Yeah that was dumb of me to get rid of it lol.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I am a "almost-never" exerciser after college; most of the time I didn't care about diet too much; I wasn't eating Twinkies and Coke, but rather orange juice, various Chinese stir-fry, Spagehtti-Os, protein drinks like Core Power, sometimes pizzas from work. Never felt heart issues until COVID decided to make a visit. I would eat myself full with whatever I liked but because I didn't hit the gym, I always stayed around 125lbs. The few times a can of Pink Salmon from the food bank entered the house, the only thing I felt was how annoying and "stuffy" it was to eat. Hated regular eggs. I had cheese PTSD from childhood after a Mac-and-cheese meal resulted in vomiting. Milk was on-and-off. Got a lot of exercise when I was younger when walking to school and on campus. I'm actually 130lbs now after this winter.

Even with rare exercise and scrawny frame, I still got shit done. Doing car repairs like replacing struts.

I did frequently do crunches to build up my core because muscular imbalance is the primary thing fucking up my mental clarity.

I was suddenly thrust with a lot of "exercise" at the end of April but felt no ill effects at all this time. When some family acquaintance with single house needed to literally dump all their items to numerous friends and acquaintances in the house out to sell it. Handled the labor just fine, but the sudden surprise did not play nice with my muscles.

I then fasted this weekend and was able to perform tasks like mowing the lawn on Sunday no problem. I was actually getting mentally sharper before I broke the fast Sunday night. No heart agitation at all.

So, whatever issues I had trying to do a run in March no longer appears to be present anymore, I will need to do a run just to see how it goes thought.

With my mom working the "private welfare" system of free church food(she doesn't practice, food distribution gives it to anyone who comes to the place, I have gotten free grocery store gift cards on holidays), I sometimes have no choice but to eat some of what comes into the house. I sometimes eat cakes or sweets so my mom doesn't because she is prediabetic while I am not but she is somewhat headstrong in continuing to eat bread, packaged fruits, etc.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Food is the highest cost I've ever seen it, especially restaurants & delivery. But the good news is, cooking at home is really easy with the right tools! Some suggestions that require a sizable front-end investment, but have a long-term payoff:

Cooking savings:
1. Instant Pot
2. Anova Precision Oven
3. Deep freezer

Storage savings:
1. Suction vac sealer
2. Chamber vac sealer
3. Souper Cubes

I've gotten a whole bunch of people setup with this system over the past 2 years under COVID & it saves so much time, effort, and anguish it's not even funny. I didn't really realize how big of an impact food has on both mental energy & on the budget until I really started diving into it! A couple of my friends are new parents & it's a real life-saver for them as well! I'd love to spend hours cooking every day, but I've got ADHD & most of the time my battery is too low to deal with anything creative that requires effort like that, so being able to be able to cooking things by pushing buttons, store them for long periods of time frozen, and then reheat them better than a microwave thanks to steam reheating is nothing short of amazing!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Go back like 7 years and buy a house. Then refinance in 2021. Don't need a car or kitchen appliances for any reason.

Outside of that we've cut back on the meat we've been eating and, when buying, do a lot less beef and more chicken and turkey. Although Kroger did have a large sale for the 4th so I stocked up a bit. We made the switch to a lot of 'organic' options like canned vegetables a couple of years ago. Not because they were organic but because they don't add nearly the salt or sugar to them compared to the non-organic options. And those haven't really increased in cost in our area - so far anyway. With those switches food increases haven't been that high for us.

Get rid of excess stuff and services. Over the last two years some items have been in short supply so its a good time to get rid of them. Working from home I was driving 4,000 miles across my two cars so I finally gave in and sold my Audi TT last year. Got way more for it than I would have thought possible 2 years ago. So no registration fees, cheaper insurance, and more space in my garage

Supposedly another large shift is occurring in consumer spending - away from leisure ware, home appliances\gym equipment and home entertainment so look for deals on those from stores and gently used items from people who find they aren't actually using them anymore