post your musical skills here

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LED

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Thanks FFMCobalt...Actually
5 Bass drums can be revolved around my kit along with 15 Mt Toms 5 Floors, 2 snares and 21 Cymbals and Crotales when expanded out. I have Paiste, K and A Zils (hand picked from the factory, SABIANS, and some FIPs from Italy. The Drums are Ziko's, Tama, Yamaha, Premier and some Custom Made ones from Hawaii out of Koa Wood. Hardware is Tama and DW along with some Custom Pedals and a couple of Ghosts...

I started playing when I was one baby with the Rattle ;)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
the fact that you do/do not have rhythm might not seem like it to you at first, either. Go to a drum shop. Hang around with drummers. Familiarize yourself with them/the attitude/the personalities, etc.

no, 20 is not too old to start. That world class drummer friend of mine is 47. :p now THAT's a bit too old to start, but he's not just starting. Usually people start in their teens, but 20 isn't nearly out of the way.

I would encourage you to go for it! There's nothing like looking back going, "you know what.... I should have done that.... look where I would be if I did!!!!"

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
thanks for the link FFMCobalt... when I get back home from school, I will try to get them on there.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
lol @ you

Every drummer will get pissed as hell at a band that uses a drum machine.

Also, most musicians who aren't into the boring, repetitious rap and techno styles will not be happy with a "drummer" with no personality. The personality makes a difference in the style!!!!!

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
Alto sax and tenor sax
btw, anyone buy a good sax online? I am looking to buy a new one

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I play:

Keyboards
Guitar -- acoustic and electric
Sing -- I love good harmony.
Lead Electron -- I design pro audio electronics. :)

dohyun

Nov 4, 1999
Well see, totalreflectpower brings up a question i have. Just how complicated can you get with a pair of drum sets as opposed to a drum machine? I wanted to get good enough to be able to pull of some crazy drum patterns/beats, maybe even some patterns that are as complicated when using a drum machine. But i'm not sure if this is possible. I really like the genre of music called drum n'bass and the drum patterns and such are mostly done electronically. Id like to replicate or have a similar drumming style to that musical genre, only using real live drums and such(cuz its more fun and authentic than a drum machine,and more original too!).

FFMcobalt, or any other drummers, what do u think? have you heard drum n'bass, or have any input on this?

btw, i always stomp my foot, or drum with my hands,is this a sign i should drum?! hehe peace.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
dohyun,

You can do more complex patterns with a drum machine but I have heard some very good drummers that come close.No drummer can ever be as complex as a machine but some of the best beats I have heard are simple and any slightly above average drummer can do them.If you want a good example of how much more complex you can get with the machine listen to the album Music for the next Millenium by Omni Trio.

If you do decide to go wth turntables make sure you spend the money and go with quality.Get the Technics 1200s.I have had mine for 7 years and they still perform like day one.

As far as instruments I used to play clarinet.I sort of play keyboard(still learning) and I have a drum machine.

dohyun

Nov 4, 1999
hey yakko, thanks for that bit of info. I remember you, you like the old sckool jungle. and u got that crazy mixer/sampler rite? i have been listening to some old skool jungle as of late,and also neurofunk and damn its freakin dope, lotta flavor. i still like techstep though. btw, omni trio is definitely dope, got a few of his songs, renegade snares, breakbeat etiquette, ect.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Yep.That's me.I have recently been stuck in a acid jazz/trip hop rut lately(and I kinda like it down here)I went and spent like $100 on new vinyl the other day.

4824guy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am a former musician. Played keyboards and synth's in various general business/rock/pop bands from the age of 16 to around 31. That was my part time job, after my main day job.

Topher

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you name an instrument, I've probably played it at one time or another.

Primarily, I play, bass trombone, tenor trombone, tuba, electric bass, acoustic bass, keyboards, and vocals (mostly tenor, but I used to be a bass-baritone).

Less frequently, I have also played, euphonium, contrabass trombone, trumpet, french horn, alto horn, clarinet, sax, bassoon, oboe (but I hated it!), flute, fife, bagpipes, kaval, shakuhachi, gaida, bouzouki, mandolin, guitar. I may have missed some .... :)

My strangest gig was playing in the pit for &quot;The Sound of Music&quot;. The tuba part doesn't play on any of the famous tunes, so I doubled on mandolin. Not often do you see that kind of a double.

Hmmm, now it bugs me as to what else I've played.

Oh yeah, for those that don't know me, I'm currently (suposed to be) doing my research for my PhD in Musicology, Music Theory to be exact. So I guess I'm the geek of the thread. :)

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
CHEF0083 is a damn THIEF!
--Oh wait....wrong thread... ;)

piano, guitar (and variants thereof), drums, singing

Ricky
DesignDawg

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i play nothing. and i do it pretty well. you should see me standing on that stage with that nothing, and.....

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
In grade school I we learned how to play the 'recorder' and guitar but I've long forgotten how to play them ;)

Right now I'm learning how to play the 'Digeridoo' .......... real cool :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

BowDown

Banned
Jun 2, 2000
Play:

-Contra Bass (Orchesta, Wind Ens)
-Elec Bass (Jazz, Rock)
-Elec Guitar (Rock)
-Bari &amp; Soprano Sax (Jazz)
-Drums (Middle School Level Jazz)
-Perc. (Bells, Timp, Snare)
-Piano (My own writtings)
-Vocal (Bass I/II , Baritone, Tenor II)

Some Frech Horn (Middle School Level)

Too bad my Community College doesn't have a good music program. I went from 7 credits of music a year in HS to none :(.