post your musical skills here

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I'm just curious as to how many musicians we have here, after finding out who all is interested in Martial Arts.

Post both skills you have now and those that you used to have.

• drums
  • (almost any kind of percussion)
  • piano
  • violin
  • voice
  • bass guitar

And I'm not that bad with glasses filled to different levels with water. :D

Nik

TomC25

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
I can fart

beans beans
the musical fruit
the more you eat
the more you toot

:p

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
Bass Guitar and bit of rythm guitar.

I don't consider myslef a musician but I enjoy writing music! Been in a few bands in my day too... what great stress releief..:)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm a former member of the Halket Street Monotones, where I played the drum. (Note: not drums). Other featured instruments were the cowbell, the block, the cymbals, and the kazoo. The kazoo player was honor-bound to play just one note, though. The neighbor next door was in the band, too, but he didn't know it. His banging on the wall fit right in.

It was one of those things that happened one night after too many beers. The band was formed, we established our repertoire, we played our maiden concert (also our farewell concert), and disbanded. After 30 minutes of no groupies showing up we called it quits.

More seriously, I truly wish I had learned to play some instrument.

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I play the Tenor Saxophone. :)

I love big band, be-bop, blues, and anything jazz.

:) :)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've dabbled with many types of instruments, but I have played the violin for the longest of any of them. I also have quite a bit ofexperience on piano. And I played bass and sang in a punk band for a while. But then who didn't? :)

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
guitarist here! If I had a webpage, I would post links to some of the songs I have made.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
THAT'S A KICK ASS KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I can count, it looks like a 14 piece. What are the specs on that monster?!

Tempete

Sep 8, 2000
Hey, I don't really play an instruments, but you listed voice, so i will answer! I sing like a god! Basses rule!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
HEY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you made it.

And, no sh!t you sing low. I'm jealous. Maybe I'll kick you in the nads to get even.

dohyun

Nov 4, 1999
I WANT to play Drums, how hard is it, is there a big learning curve. it would be cool to make some nice drum'nbass type patterns.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
If you've got rhythm, you can kick ass at them.

If not, you can learn, but you won't ever be world class.

I've got friends of both calibers. I know a man who plays around the world. He's got a drum set that breaks down into three separate, complete sets, and is worth MORE THAN MY TRUCK.
On the other hand, I know a guy who has been playing as long as I have (and he's even taking lessons), but I still kick ass on him.

If you have a natural knack for rhythm, you can most likely teach yourself. But I wouldn't advise trying unless you've got a top notch drummer around in your life to help you out or point out what you can do to improve a skill. That's what I've done. I've taught myself.

As of now, I am familiar with every style, but cannot play hardcore punk or industrial music. That industrial stuff cramps my arms. But I have no problem playing anything else. Including African time signatures like 11/4, 15/6, or other absolutely crazy stuff.

The only draw back is buying the set. A decent starter-kit will cost you around $400. With the preset talent of rhythm, the urge to play drums along with songs, the habit of pounding on things every now and then without realizing it, a drum set, and a drummer friend to help, you'll be up there wailing away in NO time...

<EDIT>
oh yeah... another draw back would be the Neighbors getting freakin' pissed off from the noise... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
<EDIT>

dohyun

Nov 4, 1999
oops edit wrong post.. anyways FFMcobalt, im thinkin i dont really got rhythm so if its hard for me, ill still play em for the fun of it. Is 20 to late to be startin on drums? I always wanted to get either a drum set or a pair of turntables, but got no money to do both. :( btw, that is one expensive drumset.