post your idle memory usage

Dec 6, 2008
I was on neogaf ( yea i know cesspool of ignorance) and this guy http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933700&page=10 is talking about how "w8 idling takes up a shitton of RAM" ( shows jpg like 4gb )
i have just 600mb in use under windows 7 ultimate ( custom config)
m8R3Go5.png

(the extra is for the capture program) Made me curious...So post your idle memory usage and os yr running!

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
You will notice that he didn't bother to show his processes tab, and there are plenty of people debunking his deceitful post, so I don't see the need to pull it over here, unless you are having an issue with memory use.

Dec 6, 2008
You will notice that he didn't bother to show his processes tab, and there are plenty of people debunking his deceitful post, so I don't see the need to pull it over here, unless you are having an issue with memory use.

lots of nonsense over ther , ( my 750 ti -stock- runs alien isolation at 2560x1440 ultra ~ 45- 50 fps, more with oc, evil within,wolfenstein no, ryse, shadow of mordor, watch dogs, dead rising 3, etc at twice de fps @ res) no prob over here, just wanted to know how much u guys use, no need to post it... so far is not looking good lol

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
For me it is about 1.4GB, of course with a number of background programs: Avast, Displyafusion, etc.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
I cheated, that was a VM. Windows 7 currently uses 5.32GB. Who cares about idling RAM anyway? If you don't have enough RAM, upgrade...

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013

8GB is about the minimum for a gaming box or a heavier multitasker . . . . just stick 16GB or 32GB up in it.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
nah, that's just silly, sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should...

I'm sure people said that about 64MB of RAM...which is something I remember doing with an old 486. SSDs have a finite number of writes to them, so I keep my SWAP file OFF of them...and spinning disk HDs are slow; should you cause a page fault and need something from the swap file, it takes forever (and a swap file on a spinning disk will keep that spinning disk active at all times, wearing it out sooner.)

My simple (and these days, cheap) solution is just shoving in 16GB of RAM and turning off the swap file. The only adverse effect to date is that BSODs can't generate a minidmp file for debugging if your swap file is disabled...but I haven't had a BSOD in years...

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If memory is being used, how can it be idle?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I don't get this need to see how much free/idle ram you have....

Its there to be used, if you buy 8GB of ram, you want windows do USE it not leave 6GB of it free

Dec 6, 2008

Its there to be used, if you buy 8GB of ram, you want windows do USE it not leave 6GB of it free

Yes indeed, memory is always there to be used... by my games and programs, not on windows sitting doing nothing ( sorry if u dont get that, english is not my main language) also i have WAY more than just 8gb of ran, ( and pay 4 that shit 6x yr prices so so bravado dsnt surpise me) but the ram I, ( not microsoft) choose to use (not waste) its dispersed into several pcs , your choice, btw you can go to the moon with 64mb of ram, o nowhere with 32 gb.... is up 2 you, the user 2 decide :)

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I'm sure people said that about 64MB of RAM...which is something I remember doing with an old 486.

Didn't the 420-series chipsets support a whopping 128MB? That could have been fun back in the day... :D

SSDs have a finite number of writes to them, so I keep my SWAP file OFF of them...

That's really not an issue for consumer type workloads. F.x. my 128GB Samsung 830 currently has ~4000 hours on it, ~3.5TB written. Which when you do the math works out too... hold your breath for it... ~27 P/E cycles. I think the 27nm Samsung NAND is rated for 3-5000 P/E cycles.

It gets hammered with everything you can think of. (minimal, 1GB) Swap file, hibernation, temporary file transfers etc. No mercy.

btw you can go to the moon with 64mb of ram

We did that with a lot less. Although the heavy lifting was done here on Earth.

Since you're asking my main PC uses 1.7GB idle. With Windows 8.1 x64.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

Agreed; Windows these days has features that pre-load things into RAM so that when you need them, they're already there. Now, if another program comes along and needs that RAM, Windows will dump the pre-loaded data making room for the new program.

So while Windows might be using 4GB on boot...well, that 4GB might be preloading something like Visual Studio, Chrome, Outlook and so forth. As long as you're not causing a ton of page faults, idle usage is silly to look at. ;)

Didn't the 420-series chipsets support a whopping 128MB? That could have been fun back in the day... :D

That's really not an issue for consumer type workloads. F.x. my 128GB Samsung 830 currently has ~4000 hours on it, ~3.5TB written. Which when you do the math works out too... hold your breath for it... ~27 P/E cycles. I think the 27nm Samsung NAND is rated for 3-5000 P/E cycles.

It gets hammered with everything you can think of. (minimal, 1GB) Swap file, hibernation, temporary file transfers etc. No mercy.

I guess I'm not a consumer workload - my SSDs have more writes on them. Either way, I don't see a reason to have a swap file when I have so much RAM, I never really go past 70-80% used (and that's with a ton of stuff open, and a game.)

I wanted to do more than 64MB in that 486, but I was a kid at the time, and coming from a 286 with something like 8MB of RAM and a 20MB hard disk...well, 64 was impressive!

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
( sorry if u dont get that, english is not my main language) :)

Hmm.. I see, that is why you think that using expression like. "Shitton" and "shit" have Technological value on Enthusiasts forums. Shorting a little your Name (by moving few of the "pa" will give a little more serious appearence too.

That said you can Download and install the following Free MemInfo app.

http://www.carthagosoft.net/MemInfo.php (see at the top of the page how it shows the Memory used or left in the Notification area).

It will sit in the tray, and would show you how much Memory is used at any point. If you find out that you always have plenty of free memory you can reduce the amount of installed memory.

Win x32 would do well for regular mundane Apps even with 2GB.

Win 7 x64 should Start with 4GB.

:cool:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
nah, that's just silly, sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should...

You buy RAM, then forget about it. Next gen games are already using 5GB or 6GB on my 16GB DDR4 system. Win 8.1 is around 1.5GB + a game can 3-4GB just for itself. 8GB is the bare minimum for any box you use daily now. 16GB if you can swing it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
3.5gb

However:

1) Java using 1gb
2) FF using .7gb
3) Flash using .3gb
There are other things running, but they are .1gb or less. Just removing the listed puts Win8.1 to <1.5gb already.

Dec 6, 2008

this looks reasonable -thumbs up- btw my -shitty- :) b85m-d3h has 3 unused slots, ( yep single channell teh horror) so plenty of space to fill -if needed- ( dont think thats even remotely the case, -i know- its easier to buy ram guys, i rather deal with the useless bloatware , since every singe "next gen game" i have tried maxed at less than 4 gb) ...