Post your eBay rants

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
people who make up the difference on "shipping and handling".
rolleye.gif

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Canadians that don't read the big, bold, red text (of a 3 sentence auction) that says "Item can only be shipped to the United States."

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
People who don't read the listing. Since Paypal started requiring you to "upgrade" your account to take credit cards (and subsequently charging you on ALL transactions, regardless of whether or not they come from a credit card) I have put in my listings that "I DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS, EVEN THROUGH PAYPAL." People still try to pay me with Paypal funded by credit cards. It happens in 3 out of 4 auctions. When I asked Paypal/ebay if there was a way to remove the credit card logos from the Paypal logo that appears when you check the box saying that you accept Paypal as a form of payment, they told me that wasn't possible and I'd have to say I don't accept Paypal at all. :confused: If people would just read the giant message in all caps, I wouldn't have that problem. Most of the time people have no problem paying by bank account, but I had one guy refuse and I had to relist the item.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: pyonir
people who make up the difference on "shipping and handling".
rolleye.gif

Yup. When they charge $6.99 for shipping and handling and then the item gets to you in a bubble envelope and says $1.21 on it for shipping.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Canadians that don't read the big, bold, red text (of a 3 sentence auction) that says "Item can only be shipped to the United States."

Yes, and those people from the Domincan Republic who do the same thing (and expect me to pick up the extra shipping! :|)

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Ebay has been good to me. I've had some people overestimate the quality of items, but they fixed the situations.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap
Originally posted by: bR
Noobs who jack up the price when theres 5 days left... :confused:

Yup.... makes sniping pointless as the price is over what I want to pay :(

Funny that you consider them "noobs." I've been using eBay for 6 years now, and when I started EVERYONE used proxy bidding to set the price they were willing to pay for the item. Then all of the noobs came along (around the same time as the invasion of businesses selling products on eBay) and started sniping. That forced sellers to change the way they listed their items (starting price, etc), and changed eBay from an auction site to just a regular marketplace. eBay was good before sniping and scammers ruined it.

Edit: DeviousTrap, you've stumbled on the main purpose for selling something at an auction - to determine the true value of an item. If someone is willing to pay more than you for it, buy it somewhere else. If you can't find it cheaper, then it's probably worth more than you want to pay for it.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
People that ask me to look up shipping to the Dominican Republic & I do before I remember to tell them "no international sales...."

Christoph

Jan 9, 2001
Pyramid scheme idiots selling links to websites ("pay just $35 and you will be put on the list to receive this $500 phone")

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs
Edit: DeviousTrap, you've stumbled on the main purpose for selling something at an auction - to determine the true value of an item. If someone is willing to pay more than you for it, buy it somewhere else. If you can't find it cheaper, then it's probably worth more than you want to pay for it.

Thats the point for the seller. The buyer usually looks at auctions for the best possible price.

Also, I never said that I don't tend to places cheap bids on items that I wan't but happen to be worth more than I am willing to pay. ;) :p

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
as a former employee of an ebay based company, my favorites were:

- feedback whores. (i paid you two seconds ago, i want my feedback NOW)
- feedback hostages (ship it overnight at no extra cost even though i paid 10 bucks below cost because you did not reply to my email within three seconds or i'll give you a negative!)
- people who can't read (why is your shipping that much? i won't pay it! well uh you bid on the auction, therefore you read the terms.)
- people who need immediate gratification (please reply in the next twenty minutes.) (or the one guy that left a neutral because we didn't respond to his email over the weekend. when we were CLOSED.)
- people that kept telling me i ruined (insert holiday here). it was NOT my fault they were procrastinators and tried to order something two days before a holiday! i got it out! you suck! (at christmas i was really hostile and couldn't stand another living soul and when people started yelling at me over the phone i really wanted to yell back at them soooooo badly.)
- people who send personal checks, and expect the item shipped immediately. actually, people who send personal checks period. get a money order.

i had monster lists of why i hated ebay bidders, but since i don't work there anymore my anger subsided greatly. hehe.

EDIT: people who would not pay, have a negative left for nonpayment, and then give us a negative back. i loved them the best.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

yeah :| , but then I emailed them telling them that they did not read directions and therefore I am going to raise their shipping ...by a lot :evil: and if they do not pay. negative feedback

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Ebay pwned back in 96, 97...maybe 98. Then everyone and their grandma got on it, jacked the prices up on everything and started doing stupid noob crap like a lot of the above mentioned stuff.

I hardly ever buy anything off of ebay anymore. Occasionally I could find a good now...but back then I ALWAYS could.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Charging $12 for shipping, have the item sent DOA to me in $6.00 USPS box, expects me to ship the item back for free and then pay shipping again ($12) for a working one.

Don't buy from JustDeals

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
people who win auctions and then don't pay and people who don't respond to queries.

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
leaving negative feedback when the post office screws up shipping

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
I really hate this big fat lie and it covers almost every item
on ebay that is not nib.

"Only used 1 time."

What horse crap:(

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

People that don't pay

People that buy an item, then try to get shipping downgraded to be cheaper.

People that ask dumb questions.. they're never the winning bidder, anyways

People that insist I must guarantee the item has never been exposed to smoke or pets.. yeah, right.

When items I list don't sell

Mostly just people that don't pay...