Post pics of your setup!

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MoMeanMugs

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
I wanted to do a dedicated theater room on the 3rd floor of my house, but I don't think it would have worked out how I wanted (stairs in the middle of the floor), so I put everything in the basement. Here's my work in progress:

DSCN0078_1.jpg

DSCN0079_1.jpg

DSCN0080_1.jpg

DSCN0081_1.jpg

Equipment:

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE8000U
Receiver: Pioneer 1323-K
Screen: EliteScreens 120" acoustically transparent (I killed my fingers stretching the screen on the frame!)
Fronts: Polk RTiA7
Center: Polk CSiA6
Front Height, Surround, & Surround Back: Polk FXiA6

I've since wired the speakers. I need to put in new circuits for the projector and equipment, but I've been too lazy to do so yet. I'll probably eventually get a drop ceiling put in and have sheetrock put in, but I'm not in a hurry to get it done.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I wanted to do a dedicated theater room on the 3rd floor of my house, but I don't think it would have worked out how I wanted (stairs in the middle of the floor)

Equipment:

Screen: EliteScreens 120" acoustically transparent (I killed my fingers stretching the screen on the frame!)

I've since wired the speakers. I need to put in new circuits for the projector and equipment, but I've been too lazy to do so yet. I'll probably eventually get a drop ceiling put in and have sheetrock put in, but I'm not in a hurry to get it done.
Looking good.

:thumbsup:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I wanted to do a dedicated theater room on the 3rd floor of my house, but I don't think it would have worked out how I wanted (stairs in the middle of the floor), so I put everything in the basement. Here's my work in progress:

DSCN0078_1.jpg

DSCN0079_1.jpg

DSCN0080_1.jpg

DSCN0081_1.jpg

Equipment:

awesome start man! wish i had the room for an AT screen, i think the look and experience is just overall better, but i just don't have the space for it in my current space. i have had that same projector for about 1.5 years now (got it when it first came out) and i love it to death still. i'm not sure if you game but it's awesome for gaming as well (in game mode).

definitely want to see pics when it's all finished.

MoMeanMugs

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
Looking good.

:thumbsup:

Thanks!

awesome start man! wish i had the room for an AT screen, i think the look and experience is just overall better, but i just don't have the space for it in my current space. i have had that same projector for about 1.5 years now (got it when it first came out) and i love it to death still. i'm not sure if you game but it's awesome for gaming as well (in game mode).

definitely want to see pics when it's all finished.

I've seen you rave so much about yours that it had an influence on my purchase. :) I've seen your theater, which looks awesome! This will be a work in progress for some time (I start like 10 projects and eventually finish them whenever), but I'll be sure to post pictures as I make more progress.

I've sat through a couple viewings, and the picture seems soft. It might be a focus issue, but it also might be the fact that I'm using the zoom (projector is about 13 feet back). I might play around with it to see if I can get it sharper, but I'm not 100% sure what to expect on a 10 foot screen. I also tried watching a couple 3D movies (true 3D, not 2D-to-3D), and I'm inclined to call it a gimmick. I also have a 3D Samsung TV in the living room, and I also get convergence issues there. Maybe it's my eyes, but I've tried to make adjustments to no avail. Do you have issues with convergence in 3D on yours?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Thanks!

I've seen you rave so much about yours that it had an influence on my purchase. :) I've seen your theater, which looks awesome! This will be a work in progress for some time (I start like 10 projects and eventually finish them whenever), but I'll be sure to post pictures as I make more progress.

I've sat through a couple viewings, and the picture seems soft. It might be a focus issue, but it also might be the fact that I'm using the zoom (projector is about 13 feet back). I might play around with it to see if I can get it sharper, but I'm not 100% sure what to expect on a 10 foot screen. I also tried watching a couple 3D movies (true 3D, not 2D-to-3D), and I'm inclined to call it a gimmick. I also have a 3D Samsung TV in the living room, and I also get convergence issues there. Maybe it's my eyes, but I've tried to make adjustments to no avail. Do you have issues with convergence in 3D on yours?

i had to adjust the convergence in the settings of 3d from the default settings. also from what i read, they say to let your projector warm up for like 30 mins before you try to watch 3d because when it's cold the pictures won't look as good. so i've usually turned my projector on early before i watch 3d things.

i don't watch 3d much, only for specific movies. i've definitely watched many scenes in avatar a few times though because it looks awesome. and other than that mostly animated flicks that i enjoy in 3d. jurassic park was also an awesome 3d flick. oh so was gravity, definitely check that out.

i think the 3d on the projector though overall is "just okay". i think the 3d on my panny plasma looks better simply because there are no convergance issues. no matter what my settings are, there always seem to be a few scenes in a movie when it's noticeable on the projector and it can be somewhat distracting. but like my wife or friends who aren't as into video as i am can't even notice that stuff.

my projector is probably 15 feet back and i'm also on a 10ft screen. it sounds like your issue may be a focus issue though. there was an image i used to calibrate the focus on mine that was all text. it was like a grid that was all text. it really made it easy to get the focus right compared to trying to do it on just a normal image. there was the image i used, i just found it googling.

http://hometheaterphotos.com/projector2/NEC_pattern_1.jpg

i sit about 13-14 feet back from the screen and it looks crystal clear, so you probably just need to tweak some settings.

MoMeanMugs

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
i had to adjust the convergence in the settings of 3d from the default settings. also from what i read, they say to let your projector warm up for like 30 mins before you try to watch 3d because when it's cold the pictures won't look as good. so i've usually turned my projector on early before i watch 3d things.

i don't watch 3d much, only for specific movies. i've definitely watched many scenes in avatar a few times though because it looks awesome. and other than that mostly animated flicks that i enjoy in 3d. jurassic park was also an awesome 3d flick. oh so was gravity, definitely check that out.

i think the 3d on the projector though overall is "just okay". i think the 3d on my panny plasma looks better simply because there are no convergance issues. no matter what my settings are, there always seem to be a few scenes in a movie when it's noticeable on the projector and it can be somewhat distracting. but like my wife or friends who aren't as into video as i am can't even notice that stuff.

my projector is probably 15 feet back and i'm also on a 10ft screen. it sounds like your issue may be a focus issue though. there was an image i used to calibrate the focus on mine that was all text. it was like a grid that was all text. it really made it easy to get the focus right compared to trying to do it on just a normal image. there was the image i used, i just found it googling.

http://hometheaterphotos.com/projector2/NEC_pattern_1.jpg

i sit about 13-14 feet back from the screen and it looks crystal clear, so you probably just need to tweak some settings.

I hadn't heard about letting it warm up first. Both times I gave it a try, it had been on a while, but I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

You know, I had thought about using text, but I never followed through with it very much. The only Blu-ray player I have is an original 60GB PS3 (bought it around release) that I just use to watch movies (can't get into games anymore). I used the text from the PS3 menus to try and get the focus right, which wasn't the best idea. I finally have my HTPC put back together, so I'm going to use the image you linked to and give that a try. Is your image as sharp on your projector as it is your plasma? I want to know when I'm in the ballpark if not (I'm going to be OCD trying to tweak it). I also have a plasma in my bedroom, so I know what a good picture looks like. :) Thanks again!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Will that be driving the Anarchy subs?

while im somewhat curious as to how long a woofer designed to take 150 watts would last when being fed over 4000 of them. no im not gonna hook it up to them.

The Anarchy subs will run off a Beringer iNuke1000 DSP

the FP14000 will run the SI 24 when i get it built, before then i can either hook up the DO SI15 or the 2 dayton 18s to it as long as im carefull

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I hadn't heard about letting it warm up first. Both times I gave it a try, it had been on a while, but I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

You know, I had thought about using text, but I never followed through with it very much. The only Blu-ray player I have is an original 60GB PS3 (bought it around release) that I just use to watch movies (can't get into games anymore). I used the text from the PS3 menus to try and get the focus right, which wasn't the best idea. I finally have my HTPC put back together, so I'm going to use the image you linked to and give that a try. Is your image as sharp on your projector as it is your plasma? I want to know when I'm in the ballpark if not (I'm going to be OCD trying to tweak it). I also have a plasma in my bedroom, so I know what a good picture looks like. :) Thanks again!

im not sure how it looks on the plasma as i've never looked at it on there. but it definitely looked sharp on the projector when in focus. obviously when you are real close to the screen it won't look as sharp, but from a distance it looked fine.

i was using ps3 as my bluray player until i found out it couldn't do hd audio + 3d sound at the same time, so i got a standalone. i had the original phat 60gb as well, so yours is in the same situation. i also like with my standalone bluray player it tells me exactly on my receiver which audio track is being used whereas with the ps3 it would always say the same thing. i don't know, someting about it saying "DTS HD" on my receiver makes me feel better than what it said on the ps3, just so i know i am hearing the HD track.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yeah possibly. i know the slims could also do hd sound + 3d video after a firmware update, but the fatties were not able to.

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
I don't trust any AT screens, I can't pixel focus my projector, there's a problem whether or not my eye can notice it or not - and I think I'm able to. The amount of light scatter behind your AT screen is evidence enough of pixels being lost. The argument for center channel (and L/R if your screen is sufficiently large) is the only favorable one for an AT screen.

Also IMO you should be zoomed out to nearly max (i.e. the projector should be as close to the screen as possible) for the most lumens.

Moving the projectr 1 ft closer/further back can make a large difference in image quality (clarity/brightness/contrast) if you're at the outer edge of your prospective lens throw (in my case 16-17ft).

Depending on technology, you may not get corner to corner sharpness across your image. Many things matter (how square your walls are/etc).

Last edited:

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
while im somewhat curious as to how long a woofer designed to take 150 watts would last when being fed over 4000 of them. no im not gonna hook it up to them.

The Anarchy subs will run off a Beringer iNuke1000 DSP

the FP14000 will run the SI 24 when i get it built, before then i can either hook up the DO SI15 or the 2 dayton 18s to it as long as im carefull
Heh heh... I thought that amp looked familiar. notnyt at it again...

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
lol yea but i only have 1 not 4

i would have gone with the peavy ipr2 7500 but i dont have a 20 amp line run and dont wanna pay to have one installed

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
i'll need your help when i do some infinite baffle work i ran a 20A line for the amplifiers and 20A for the subs

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Its so weird seeing an emotiva with a clone and ep4k. How you liking the tempest? Oh hows that center relative to the seos?

I really need to hire someone to build me a ported ftw21 at 10hz enclosure

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yeah anubis your setup has come along very nice. i didn't see that last pic till now.

now all you have to do is get rid of that white paint and go with something dark :)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
center is fine with the tempests. it keeps up just fine and after running room correction you cant really tell that its different. It actually sits on the shelf below now to not block the TV. it is a lot less sensitive but works fine. Tempests are great very happy with them. as are most people who have built them or similar speakers with the SEOS horn.

Had someone down a cpl weeks ago to listen/demo and he was thoroughly impressed. He wanted to hear them before doing something with DIY as he had some reservations about building something he has never heard. Hes prob gonna build something larger with the 15" horn.

im to lazy to paint and TBH it doesn't bother me, it stays pretty dark in there anyway. there are pics on a previous page of what it looks like with the TV on and the bias light. its still pretty dark. actually darker now as that was with the old TV which was smaller. new one blocks more of the light so it really just stays behind the TV

ivedPMr.jpg

also this is happening
ZRlNAsN.jpg

Only 1 is mine and that Obsidian is a 15"
cXTPkw7.jpg

Last edited: