Post pics of your setup!

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
These pics are old, but my setup hasn't changed much:

newentcenter1.jpg

Samsung 56" DLP atop two IKEA entertainment units pushed together and elevated on 6" steel legs.

newentcenter2.jpg

PS3, Wii, and dirt cheap Philips "HTIB" surround unit that was free with the TV. I've since switched the PS3 with the Wii since the middle cabinet space is open in the back and vents so the door doesn't need to be open when using the PS3.

hd-radio.jpg

Also added a Sony HD Radio next to the Wii. Eventually I'll get a decent receiver/speaker setup, but for now my cheap stuff has worked fine.

avcab1.jpg

Behind the setup is an AV cabinet for my HTPCs. Top is my signature HTPC attached to the Samsung 56". Next to it is the UFO shaped Next Generation IR remote control extender- one of the best gizmos I've ever had. It controls anything that has IR- the PC, surround unit, HD radio, DVD player in the AV cabinet and a VCR in the 2nd TV cabinet (both rarely used anymore) from the same universal remote via RF. So everything works beyond line of sight, cabinets closed, through walls.

Barely visible behind the router/switch is one of two DirecTV sat boxes controlled by the PC.

Bottom shelf: media server PC and HDHomerun for network ATSC.

Last edited:

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
imgp8250.jpg

Thought I'd add to this thread now that I'm finally at a point where I feel satisfied with everything. All that really means is the incessant tweaker in me no longer feels the need to change something every other day, maybe just once or twice a week instead. :p

Panasonic P50G25 TV
Denon 1610 receiver
Jamo C407 fronts
Jamo C400 center
Jamo C401 surrounds
Energy ESW-8HG subwoofer
Xbox 360 for console gaming
Shuttle SN25P (w/ an Opteron 165 & Radeon 5770) for HTPC duty and PC gaming

Everything's controlled through a Harmony 720 remote, including the HTPC by way of an MCE IR receiver. Getting the HTPC running and into XBMC is all done via remote. For everything else (browsing, Hulu, gaming, what have you) there's a Dinovo Edge and Logitech G7 mouse stashed behind the couch. TV programming is a combination of OTA/antenna and Hulu/Netflix. Seating distance is 8 feet.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
^That is an absolutely terrible place to keep your HTPC. If your sub isn't magnetically shielded, you'll go through hard drives frequently. Even if it is, the vibration that it causes cannot be good for the components in the long haul.

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
^That is an absolutely terrible place to keep your HTPC. If your sub isn't magnetically shielded, you'll go through hard drives frequently. Even if it is, the vibration that it causes cannot be good for the components in the long haul.

Where else would you suggest? Unfortunately it's too tall to fit inside either shelf of the TV stand, and there's nowhere else to put it anywhere along that front sound stage portion of the room.

It may or may not be shielded, I never definitively found out either way. But it hasn't seemed to have caused any issues so far. *knock on wood*

The sub is 8" and not terribly hard hitting. Even on the loudest explosions I care to put it through while living in an apartment, the cabinet itself exhibits very little vibration. The HTPC is actually sitting on top of a set of Mopad isolation pads to further reduce what little vibration was present and as a result I don't feel any vibrations on it at all during the loudest passages. The PSU and case fan in it are responsible for more vibration than anything else.

I'm working towards eventually replacing it with a mini-itx build that will fit in the TV stand, but it's not really a high priority at the moment.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
put it between the left speaker and your stand, you have an open space there, if you dont want to put it on the floor get some bricks or build a lil stand for it

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
put it between the left speaker and your stand, you have an open space there, if you dont want to put it on the floor get some bricks or build a lil stand for it

It's not really an option I'm afraid. That's where the sliding door to the balcony opens up from and we store stuff out there so we need to be able to access it regularly.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
really? that space doesn't look big enough to get a body through let alone anything with bulk. do you move the speaker as well when you need to access the door?

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
really? that space doesn't look big enough to get a body through let alone anything with bulk. do you move the speaker as well when you need to access the door?

Yeah, the three of us that live in the apartment are pretty skinny so we manage to squeeze through without trouble. The TV is on a swivel mount that gives us a little more clearance when necessary. The only time I recall moving the speaker was for initially loading up the storage bin outside.

Just spec'ed out an HTPC build and it's not as bad as I thought, under $400. Maybe I can get it put together soon if there are some decent deals this month.

Dec 10, 2005
A very simple setup. New HTPC case as of May 2011 (A SilverStone ML03).

htpcTV.jpg

Equipment:
LG 42" LCD 60Hz (42LD450)
Panasonic Upconverting DVD player (DVD-S58)
Ikea Mosjo TV Stand

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Looking at some of these setups, I think some of you guys would cry if you saw the way my tv/xbox is set up. lol

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
woot upgrades

from this - Panasonic Tau 32 in Flat Tube TV + some shitty sony HTIAB
dsc0100e0.jpg

to this 55in Vizio XVT3SV + JVC BA1 Soundbar

dsc0146xg.jpg

dsc0160w0.jpg

Last edited:

mu11et

Dec 3, 2010
tv2vf.jpg

Samsung 61" LED DLP

ONKYO TX-SR607 7.2-Channel Black Home Theater Receiver
Polk Audio Monitor 60 Black Floorstanding Loudspeaker
Polk Audio CS1 Black Center Channel Loudspeaker
Polk Audio Monitor 30 Black Two-way bookshelf loudspeaker
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer
Sony Blu-ray Player BDP-N460

HTPC
ASUS M3A78-EM
AMD 4850E-X2
HIS 4670 1GB
G-Skill 2x2 PC2 800
WD 640GB & Deskstar 400GB
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
Hiper 580 PSU
Silverstone SST-LC17
Windows 7 64bit
Mediaportal 1.1.1 (Maya Skin)
ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
Alright. I'm in the same boat. Can't find a stand that will hold all my stuff mainly because the HTPC is so deep. I made a media stand to hold everything but it stands out a little bit too much. Would much rather get rid of it and get a nice stand.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
no idea and i cant seem to find that info on any site, not an issue for me as i dont have anything taller then a large AVR going on it.other ones they make of similar style are between 6-8 inches

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
no idea and i cant seem to find that info on any site, not an issue for me as i dont have anything taller then a large AVR going on it.other ones they make of similar style are between 6-8 inches

This. They always list the LxWxD but never the height of the individual shelves. Makes me a little shaky ordering online without being able to eyeball it.