Post pics of your setup!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
Here is my equipment list:

Display Device: Epson Pro Cinema 810
Screen: 92" Carada Cinema White
DVD 1: Denon 2930
DVD 2: Panasonic S97
Console: Xbox 360
Cable Box: SA3250
Receiver: Pioneer 1014TX
Left/Center/Right Amp: Acurus 200x3
Subwoofer Amp: Behringer EP1500
Subwoofer Paramentric EQ: Velodyne SMS-1
Left/Right/Center Speakers: Ascend Acoustics 340SE
Side Speakers: Ascend Acoustics 170SE
Rear Speakers: Ascend Acoustics 170SE
Sub: Infinite Baffle - 4x15" Ascendant Audio Atlas
Remote: Harmony 1000 with RF Extender

Here are some pix:

Sub Construction and Measurements:
http://cyberfrogs.net/photo/in...Infinite%20Baffle%20II

Pix of the room (the Sony HS51A has been replaced with the Epson)
http://cyberfrogs.net/photo/in...current%20setup&page=1

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
HT List:

TV - Samsung 50" DLP - 5087W
Game/DVD - XBOX 360 w/ HD-DvD & Xbox
Receiver - Kenwood VR-6060
Front Speakers - Polk Audio R50
Center - KLH Center 943PL
Back speakers are HT-9930

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Need4Speed
Here is my equipment list:

Display Device: Epson Pro Cinema 810
Screen: 92" Carada Cinema White
DVD 1: Denon 2930
DVD 2: Panasonic S97
Console: Xbox 360
Cable Box: SA3250
Receiver: Pioneer 1014TX
Left/Center/Right Amp: Acurus 200x3
Subwoofer Amp: Behringer EP1500
Subwoofer Paramentric EQ: Velodyne SMS-1
Left/Right/Center Speakers: Ascend Acoustics 340SE
Side Speakers: Ascend Acoustics 170SE
Rear Speakers: Ascend Acoustics 170SE
Sub: Infinite Baffle - 4x15" Ascendant Audio Atlas
Remote: Harmony 1000 with RF Extender

Here are some pix:

Sub Construction and Measurements:
http://cyberfrogs.net/photo/in...Infinite%20Baffle%20II

Pix of the room (the Sony HS51A has been replaced with the Epson)
http://cyberfrogs.net/photo/in...current%20setup&page=1
Very nice! That sub is a monster.

It looks like it may be a basement room. Dimensions?

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
Originally posted by: iRONic

The room is 14x21...it's the lower level of a center split...the bottom half of the room is below grade.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: iRONic

The room is 14x21...it's the lower level of a center split...the bottom half of the room is below grade.

Where does the IB vent into your media room (probably in the front below the screen? I thought I saw your setup on AVS before? Did you always have 4 drivers?

Nice system btw :)

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
Thanks for the compliment....

the IB is behind the screen wall and vents underneath the kitchen crawl space.

You probably did see it on AVS as I spend some time there too...I started with 2 drivers and had an opportunity to pick up 6 more for cheap from Chad at Ascendant. I kept two (for a total of 4 for me) and passed my good luck onto another fellow HT'er :)

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003

You probably did see it on AVS as I spend some time there too...I started with 2 drivers and had an opportunity to pick up 6 more for cheap from Chad at Ascendant. I kept two (for a total of 4 for me) and passed my good luck onto another fellow HT'er :)

Ah, yes! I remember reading about you starting the IB and having 2 drivers. Have you ever bottomed the subs - or does the sms-1's high pass remove that "issue" out of the picture? (Did velodyne ever fix it so that the highpass was at 5hz rather than 15hz?)

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Text

just my little setup

Nice and clean :)

Have you experimented with moving speakers forward a few inches? toe-in angle? subwoofer location? Just some ideas to possibly improve your sound :)

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Tiamat

Ah, yes! I remember reading about you starting the IB and having 2 drivers. Have you ever bottomed the subs - or does the sms-1's high pass remove that "issue" out of the picture? (Did velodyne ever fix it so that the highpass was at 5hz rather than 15hz?)

No..I've never bottomed mine out. As for the SMS's rolloff, this has little affect on me because I have gobs of room gain from 25Hz down. Using TrueRTA or REqW shows I am flat to 10hz at which point it starts to rolloff...more than enough to deal with even the most spirited audio tracks.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: CorCentral

I would test this but the file is non burnable through Nero and Windows Media Player. Tried to put the song to disc to test it in the living room but it's a no go. Do you by chance have it in MP3 form?

Here you go sir
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/spmclaughlin/web/Random/Mission-72.mp3">https://mywebspace.wisc.edu......dom/Mission-72.mp3</a>

I should have mentioned before, this contains a ton of very low frequency stuff, so be careful.

Try it yet, CorCentral?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

I still say the true test of your sound system is a good bit of organ music. If you can do organ music justice, you can do anything. Or you can get your hands on Dadawa's Sister Drum. That track has tremendous dynamics, if your system can play both the quiet sections and the loud sections well (without you playing with volume control), then you are pretty close to ideal system.

RANT ALERT
I have the Telarc 1812 DVDA... Utter crap. Technological marvel, musically disastrous.
But it does allow me to shock my system and I meant my body. I played it back at reference level and covered my ears. I still felt like puking... That digital cannon is just too fake. I don't understand why they thought they should record the cannon at muzzle. I guess it was too hard for them to record at a distance. The Cannon section was supposed to demonstrate approaching enemy, not how you stick your head in the cannon.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Here are a couple pics of my setup:

Seating

Screen and front

I made the screen myself from a sheet of Parkland and velvet trim. Cost less than 50 bucks. The ceiling is all black, and the trim is a dark wood stain. There is a drain pipe going into the wall behing the screen, so we just brought the wall out two feet and used the space underneath as a built-in equipment rack, and space for the sub.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Text

just my little setup

Nice and clean :)

Have you experimented with moving speakers forward a few inches? toe-in angle? subwoofer location? Just some ideas to possibly improve your sound :)
Is it that obvious that I don't know sound systems? This was not planned out in advance, but it is the first HT here, so I'm allowed a mulligan, right? ;) The speakers were purchased not by me in December, then I bought the tv & stand in January once the Bears beat the Saints. Then when I got home, I just placed everything where they "fit". It's good enough, but I know there are some issues with the audio quality. Just haven't motivated myself to learn a proper setup yet. As long as I've got the good picture, I can live with okay audio - probably because I've never heard an optimal HT setup yet.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: sdifox

I still say the true test of your sound system is a good bit of organ music. If you can do organ music justice, you can do anything. Or you can get your hands on Dadawa's Sister Drum. That track has tremendous dynamics, if your system can play both the quiet sections and the loud sections well (without you playing with volume control), then you are pretty close to ideal system.

RANT ALERT
I have the Telarc 1812 DVDA... Utter crap. Technological marvel, musically disastrous.
But it does allow me to shock my system and I meant my body. I played it back at reference level and covered my ears. I still felt like puking... That digital cannon is just too fake. I don't understand why they thought they should record the cannon at muzzle. I guess it was too hard for them to record at a distance. The Cannon section was supposed to demonstrate approaching enemy, not how you stick your head in the cannon.

I don't have any organ music :(

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003

I have this one

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Org...&qid=1182179737&sr=1-1

good luck in finding it :)

I am sure you can go to your local library and get some organ music.

This is my reference Pipe Organ CD

This disk will bottom a subwoofer that is not capable with ease. Most tracks can do it, but the last track does it very nicely. My Maestro XL handles it well, but my bookshelf speakers did not. I had to upgrade to a 3-way floorstanding speaker just to handle this disk (my stereo does not have bass management). I met this guy in person after he performed a recital local to me, quite a phenominal pipe organist.

There are plenty other great disks out there like:

Wanamaker Legacy

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
Try this on for size...

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/Finale4.ZIP

"Foreword on Fireworks Sound File

Well it is probably no surprise to you that I have a fondness for low frequencies and loud noises. If you have heard our speakers, I would like to think maybe its not a surprise that I am keenly interested in reproducing the "stereo image" and realism in reproduction too.

I have been developing a microphone invention for a while now and on the 4th of July, I was inspired to set it up in the back yard at my house to record the Town's fireworks which are set off about ½ mile away.
I put the last few minutes of it on a CD and have since played it (to be honest, over and over).
It was so much fun, I thought others might want to play this too.

A word of warning.

This recording has a HUGE dynamic range of about 70dB and a peak to average ratio of 40 dB. On the peaks, it is easy to clip things and the spectrum is such that the level at 10Hz is about equal with that at 50Hz (a broad mound around 25 - 30Hz).
In other words, this recording can gobble up all the headroom you have and the source is one of the most difficult things to reproduce there is from many aspects.
Preserving time and bandwidth critical so also try it on good headphones if your not impressed with it through your speakers.

Anyway, take the file and burn it on to a CD (make a couple copies one after the other) and have fun and approach maximum level carefully.
Best Regards,

Tom Danley"

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
My room has skylights so a front projector setup was out of the question...Oh, and 'scuse the wire mess.

Sony SXRD 60A2020
Denon AVR-3200
Definitive Technologies ProTower 400 fronts
Definitive Technologies C2 center
Definitive Technologies BP-2X surrounds

Front view

Twinpeaksr

Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Twinpeaksr
Back of Room
Front of Room

Just got my Living Room setup with new TV (stupid Samsung TV is finally gone, and the DVD Player died 3 days later, I won't go into it, but I will say that I doubt I will ever buy anything from them again)

Hitatchi P42T501
Denon DVD-1730

I think I may move my computer Audio up there to have some more fun, basic but works well:

Marantz SR5000
Paradigm Titan

If I am doing any critical listening or movies, I use the Theater, but this is great for my bad cartoon habit. Will post pictures when my camera battery finishes charging.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

darn, it sounds good... too bad I can't crank it up since my kid is sleeping... Currently at -33db :(

btw, you can try this

http://www.amazon.com/Sister-D...&qid=1182215814&sr=8-1

Track 2 :)

PS. Nevermind, tooooooo short... just go buy the CD.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: arcas
My room has skylights so a front projector setup was out of the question...Oh, and 'scuse the wire mess.

Sony SXRD 60A2020
Denon AVR-3200
Definitive Technologies ProTower 400 fronts
Definitive Technologies C2 center
Definitive Technologies BP-2X surrounds

Front view

You can always build a motorized shade.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Try this on for size...

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/Finale4.ZIP

"Foreword on Fireworks Sound File

Well it is probably no surprise to you that I have a fondness for low frequencies and loud noises. If you have heard our speakers, I would like to think maybe its not a surprise that I am keenly interested in reproducing the "stereo image" and realism in reproduction too.

I have been developing a microphone invention for a while now and on the 4th of July, I was inspired to set it up in the back yard at my house to record the Town's fireworks which are set off about ½ mile away.
I put the last few minutes of it on a CD and have since played it (to be honest, over and over).
It was so much fun, I thought others might want to play this too.

A word of warning.

This recording has a HUGE dynamic range of about 70dB and a peak to average ratio of 40 dB. On the peaks, it is easy to clip things and the spectrum is such that the level at 10Hz is about equal with that at 50Hz (a broad mound around 25 - 30Hz).
In other words, this recording can gobble up all the headroom you have and the source is one of the most difficult things to reproduce there is from many aspects.
Preserving time and bandwidth critical so also try it on good headphones if your not impressed with it through your speakers.

Anyway, take the file and burn it on to a CD (make a couple copies one after the other) and have fun and approach maximum level carefully.
Best Regards,

Tom Danley"

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Interface.html

try selecting "How low does it go?" from the left dropdown... This is a bit dated but if you like the low end stuff, go for it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

I have this one

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Org...&qid=1182179737&sr=1-1

good luck in finding it :)

I am sure you can go to your local library and get some organ music.

This is my reference Pipe Organ CD

This disk will bottom a subwoofer that is not capable with ease. Most tracks can do it, but the last track does it very nicely. My Maestro XL handles it well, but my bookshelf speakers did not. I had to upgrade to a 3-way floorstanding speaker just to handle this disk (my stereo does not have bass management). I met this guy in person after he performed a recital local to me, quite a phenominal pipe organist.

There are plenty other great disks out there like:

Wanamaker Legacy

Thank you sir, I shall try this out. Time to hunt it down.