Post office hearing

Feb 4, 2009
Don’t want to comment much because I’ve only heard small parts. Here are my observations:
Post master generals opening statement was strange, he emphasized something like “despite enormous cost overruns and poor financials we....”
Kind of shitty opening statement. Imagine your companies CEO starting off a talk like that. Basically saying well all my people suck and all our financials suck. Good way to build a team.

The Postmaster General sounds like a mafia boss

When asked about if he is confident all mail ballots will be delivered in time to be counted he said he is “confident”.
Decent answer but left me frustrated, I would love to have followed up that question with a great one from a difficult but fair guy I worked for regarding important claims.
“Sir you said you are confident all ballots will be delivered on time to be counted, what is the consequence to you if they are not delivered on time. What should be done if they are not delivered on time?”

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Forgive my ignorance but is he one of Donalds cronies or was he there before Donald usurped the throne?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Forgive my ignorance but is he one of Donalds cronies or was he there before Donald usurped the throne?
First Postmaster General ever that was not promoted from within the USPS ranks. He got dropped in-place by Trump to dismantle and cripple the USPS as much as possible before election time.

Not to mention he has direct conflicts-of-interest in millions of dollars of investments he holds in competition with USPS like FedEx and another transportation logistics company. One of the most fucked appointments Trump has made yet, and you know that's saying a LOT.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
First Postmaster General ever that was not promoted from within the USPS ranks. He got dropped in-place by Trump to dismantle and cripple the USPS as much as possible before election time.

Not to mention he has direct conflicts-of-interest in millions of dollars of investments he holds in competition with USPS like FedEx and another transportation logistics company. One of the most fucked appointments Trump has made yet, and you know that's saying a LOT.

OHHH YEAH! I remember hearing about him. His interests in other businesses were criticized but nobody could actually stop him from taking the job.

Reactions: Pohemi

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
And magically all the slowdowns happened exactly when he came to the position. Today I think I heard him claim all the changes were recommended by the previous PG and he was just carrying out his wishes. Yeah, I'm sure he (the previous PG) would've done them in an election year during a pandemic.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The position the Republicans seem to be falling into is that there is no conspiracy to steal the election and they simply want to ruin the postal service because they think it should make money.

This is not likely to be a popular explanation to the millions of people who are gettin things days or weeks late.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Post master generals opening statement was strange, he emphasized something like “despite enormous cost overruns and poor financials we....”
Still waiting for a Trump supporter to explain to me why the post office is not only the only governmental agency expected to run in the black, but the only one under financial scrutiny right now.

I'd love for them to have asked him this.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Still waiting for a Trump supporter to explain to me why the post office is not only the only governmental agency expected to run in the black, but the only one under financial scrutiny right now.

I'd love for them to have asked him this.
Hopefully someone in the House hearing next week will ask him.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The position the Republicans seem to be falling into is that there is no conspiracy to steal the election and they simply want to ruin the postal service because they think it should make money.

This is not likely to be a popular explanation to the millions of people who are gettin things days or weeks late.
Yup

1000’s of dead chicks meant for farmers due to USPS turmoil.

RX’s delayed due to USPS changes

I’m sure landlords and bill collectors will be understanding when the checks are late though.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Yeah, I never liked that bit of Republican fantasy.

Yes, they should make money, just like the Census Bureau, Veteran's Affairs, State Department and the Army.

Or maybe Mexico should pay for everything?

Feb 4, 2009
I want to add Rand Paul for once had decent suggestions and didn’t shift blame. He said post office funding is due to the legislators not dealing with the issue, threw zero blame towards democrats specifically, he said 1.2 billion could be saved if Saturday deliveries stopped and suggested maybe people who live in remote locations could get by with two mail deliveries per week.
No fact checking on his numbers but not completely unreasonable suggestions.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Don’t want to comment much because I’ve only heard small parts. Here are my observations:
Kind of shitty opening statement. Imagine your companies CEO starting off a talk like that. Basically saying well all my people suck and all our financials suck. Good way to build a team.

The Postmaster General sounds like a mafia boss

When asked about if he is confident all mail ballots will be delivered in time to be counted he said he is “confident”.
Decent answer but left me frustrated, I would love to have followed up that question with a great one from a difficult but fair guy I worked for regarding important claims.
“Sir you said you are confident all ballots will be delivered on time to be counted, what is the consequence to you if they are not delivered on time. What should be done if they are not delivered on time?”

David Williams testimony is good companion piece to this thread

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
And magically all the slowdowns happened exactly when he came to the position. Today I think I heard him claim all the changes were recommended by the previous PG and he was just carrying out his wishes. Yeah, I'm sure he (the previous PG) would've done them in an election year during a pandemic.
sounds like they need to subpoena the previous PG.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I want to add Rand Paul for once had decent suggestions and didn’t shift blame. He said post office funding is due to the legislators not dealing with the issue, threw zero blame towards democrats specifically, he said 1.2 billion could be saved if Saturday deliveries stopped and suggested maybe people who live in remote locations could get by with two mail deliveries per week.
No fact checking on his numbers but not completely unreasonable suggestions.

Sure. I mean, why not? Rural conservative constituencies seen to love going under the bus.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Just more draining of the swamp.

• Haha

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I realize that the USPS has to change. OTOH, It's always been a deeply egalitarian thing, something we all share. Delivering mail to the hinterlands has always been a burden we could bear proudly. It binds us together. So if we need less frequent mail delivery, that should apply to all of us. If we need to let the USPS set rates higher to cover costs, that should be done the same way. Leave no one behind.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I realize that the USPS has to change. OTOH, It's always been a deeply egalitarian thing, something we all share. Delivering mail to the hinterlands has always been a burden we could bear proudly. It binds us together. So if we need less frequent mail delivery, that should apply to all of us. If we need to let the USPS set rates higher to cover costs, that should be done the same way. Leave no one behind.
The most amazing inequality that exists to this day, that I never knew existed, until I left where I grew up, is that there are varying degrees of service throughout the country. I did not realize that not all people have mail slots in their front door, or mail boxes right next to the front door that the mailperson puts mail in. Makes the dogs go nuts on the mail, if you have the slot in your door, by the way. I now live in what is still a rural free delivery area, where once again, the mail person sticks mail in a box that is located on my property. If you live in a subdivision that was built a long as 20 years ago, you don't get your mail delivered to your door, there is probably a group mail box somewhere in your neighborhood for probably every 10 or 12 houses. Of course if you live in an apartment, your "group" mailbox is in the lobby of your entrance usually. I guess my big beef, is, if the post office is trying to save money, why are all the people who get their mail delivered individually to the house or property location, are not moved to group mail boxes.

Feb 4, 2009

Here’s my take, I have become much more in favor of people taking responsibility. Particularly mud hut states.
They elected a guy (Rand) who proposed limiting deliveries for areas that require a 20 mile dirt road trip to get mail to.
Obviously those people voted for Rand and likely will continue voting for Rand. That means to me they are okay with 2 days a week mail delivery. So let’s let their dreams come true. Limit them to two day per week mail delivery and take the cost savings.
If they don’t want a two day per week mail service they can elect someone who wants them to have full mail service.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
They operate at what an 8-10B annual loss. This is chump change in the grand scheme of things. You are right, change and modernization is likely in order. should we cut service to the little guy or cut bennifits from employees? Seems like the wrong approach to me as well.

I used to be of the mindset, why do mail carriers get a pension when equivalent private sector jobs haven't had them for decades. No I wonder why I want to screw over another low wage thankless worker.