Possibly new job - your take on it please

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I applied for a job as BP manager with a 12% commission every month based on my sales. I will operate my own store and hire my own employees etc but will not pay for gas and other operating costs.

I am 22 years old and still going to school. I want the experience and the fact that it will look good on my resume.

The only thing I am concerned about is the long hours and lots of responsibility and the fact that I have to learn a lot of things.

I am still training and have about 2 or so weeks left, depending on how fast I learn.

Anyone have any feelings on this? Anyone manage a gas station before?

Thanks.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
I worked for a Shell owned station over 20 yrs ago. Our manager worked maybe 6hrs a day. It was the first Shell station in CA to get pay-at-the-pump. We were very busy and got many awards for most gas dispensed in a 24hr period. When you get 3 deliveries of gas in one day you're moving alot of gasoline. Make sure you watch the security cameras and make sure their on your employees, especially the registers! We had employees stealing money left and right from the til.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The hours are far too long for someone in school. I say pass, and find something else.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
What is your major?

I don't really think you have the time. Being a manager is literally a 24 hour job. What if an employee doesn't show up to work? Who is going to fill in? etc...