Possible Voter Suppression In Los Angeles County?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
only reason I could think of that would impact "D" LA voters would be some sort of immigration measure on the ballot.

shrug.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern

Did you call the (local) Dem party?

Yes.

Originally posted by: Lemon law

To me, this is a very serious issue, Harvey, I suggest you follow up again tomorrow and see if you are still listed as inactive.

As I posted, I've already confirmed that my registration is active, and I just confirmed it again online. :thumbsup:

I agree that it's a serious issue. I posted this thread to ask if anyone else had run into the same thing and to remind everyone who hasn't received their voter materials to check their status.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx

Christ, the Republican boogeyman many of you libs have conjured up in your minds has you afraid of your own shadows.

Uh-huh! :roll:

States? Actions to Block Voters Appear Illegal

Tens of thousands of eligible voters in at least six swing states have been removed from the rolls or have been blocked from registering in ways that appear to violate federal law, according to a review of state records and Social Security data by The New York Times.

The actions do not seem to be coordinated by one party or the other, nor do they appear to be the result of election officials intentionally breaking rules, but are apparently the result of mistakes in the handling of the registrations and voter files as the states tried to comply with a 2002 federal law, intended to overhaul the way elections are run.

Still, because Democrats have been more aggressive at registering new voters this year, according to state election officials, any heightened screening of new applications may affect their party?s supporters disproportionately. The screening or trimming of voter registration lists in the six states ? Colorado, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Nevada and North Carolina ? could also result in problems at the polls on Election Day: people who have been removed from the rolls are likely to show up only to be challenged by political party officials or election workers, resulting in confusion, long lines and heated tempers.

Some states allow such voters to cast provisional ballots. But they are often not counted because they require added verification.

Although much attention this year has been focused on the millions of new voters being added to the rolls by the candidacy of Senator Barack Obama, there has been far less notice given to the number of voters being dropped from those same rolls.
(continues)

yup.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aka1nas

I am in LA county and also have not received my packet.:(

For L.A. County, You can check your voter status online. Do it for your own peace of mind.

If you should be registered and you've been wrongly dropped or suspended, call your party's headquarters to report it. I know the Democratic Party of Los Angeles' number is (213) 382-0063 because I had to look it up. If you're a Republican, you'll have to find it, yourself.

Also, call the city room at the L.A. Daily News to follow up on my report.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Ozoned
The former manager of my apartement building used to live in my apartment before I moved in, three years ago. First, he moved to another apartment in the building. Then, following a stroke, he moved to a care facility, but he or his family never changed his voter registration so, along with my own sample ballot and voter info, I have received his since I moved in.

Around five weeks ago, I received his voter information and sample ballot, but I didn't received my own. A week later, I phoned the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder to check the status of my registration. After 45 minutes on hold, I was informed that my registration was marked "inactive." I was suprised because I have voted in almost every election since I turned 21 in 1962, and I have definitely voted in every election since moving to my current address.

The person with whom I spoke said that my registration was reactivated and that she would send my voter materials. I confirmed the status of my registration with three follow up calls over the following thee weeks, but, to date, I still have not received my sample ballot or voter information.

I am registered as a Democrat, and I was concerned that I may have been a victim of a larger voter suppresion campaign as has been reported elsewhere. I phoned the L.A. Times and left a message for their national desk reporting what had happened. I also e-mailed them with the same info. So far, no one has replied.

Than, I phoned the L.A. Daily News, and I reached a live reporter who said she knew of at least one other such incident in the San Fernando Valley. She took my number and said she would have someone look into the matter.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems with their voter registraton? If so, report it to your local press and/or authorities.

If you have not received your sample ballot or other confirmation of your status, you may want to check it before you find out the hard way that you won't be allowed to vote when you show up at the polls.

Good luck. :cool:
Sounds like you fell into that crack called margin of error. Glad you were able to jump head 1st into the crack and get it taken care of. Of course, though, It could be seen as a good thing, because at your age, that is probably the only crack your going to be seeing anyway. :p

Well, since you're such a wise and beautiful woman and been parading around here for the last week, we ALL have seen too much for a while.

So go away, you stupid twat.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Sounds like you fell into that crack called margin of error. Glad you were able to jump head 1st into the crack and get it taken care of. Of course, though, It could be seen as a good thing, because at your age, that is probably the only crack your going to be seeing anyway. :p

First, you don't know jack shit about what I can see or do at my age. Beyond that, it sounds like the only crack you see is the one between your gluteal cheeks where you keep your head. :Q

Jun 26, 2007

First, you don't know jack shit about what I can see or do at my age. Beyond that, it sounds like the only crack you see is the one between your gluteal cheeks where you keep your head. :Q

I speak for each and every one of us in my group when i say that we'd much rather have a warrior like Harvey than a twat like Ozoned in our group.

Don't mind him brother, he's just trying to make up for the fact that he fled.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
NorCal here. Got my absentee ballot a month ago. Mailed the ballot out today. You need to register ahead of time instead of 2 weeks before the election.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My mother, who almost always votes, also has not been getting voter information including sample ballots, voter information pamphlet, endorsements, etc. I called the registrar's office in our county (Alameda, CA), and they said they'd mailed her an absentee ballot on Sept 4th. WTF. They said they were going to send her another. I don't know if she's gotten it. This was over a week ago. She's a registered Democrat.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
wait, Harvey is older than my grandpa? :shocked:

As long as gramps is younger than dirt:p

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Maybe democrats are suppressing the votes of the elderly figuring they will vote McCain. ;)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: rpanic

Maybe democrats are suppressing the votes of the elderly figuring they will vote McCain. ;)
It was always thought that the younger generations are more idealistic.

Then with age comes wisdom.:D to understanding what can and can not be done.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
~~~ UPDATE ~~~

I just got a call back from a reporter from the Los Angeles Times about this who informed me that they have received many reports of similar problems from other L.A. county residents.

Remember, in my OP, I didn't accuse anyone of attempting to suppress my vote or anything else. I just reported what happened to me, asked if anyone else had encountered the same problem and contacted the press to report it.

I could have dismissed it had it been an isolated incident. It's not enough to reach any conclusions, but the call back from the Times means that there may really be an attempt to suppress Democratic voters.

I asked the reporter to get back to me if this turns out to be the case. If so, it's a very sad day for the U.S. Constitution and the American people. :(

At the time of the crime, who believed us?
We all took a fall on the ride,
When the powers that be had deceived us to leave us the debtor.

And who's watching over who's watching over you?
Tell me who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: rpanic

It was always thought that the younger generations are more idealistic.

Then with age comes wisdom.:D to understanding what can and can not be done.

Experience teaches that with age does not usually come wisdom. Sometimes, yes, usually no. Don't confuse wisdom with conservatism, they are more often than not diametrically opposed!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
~~~ UPDATE ~~~

I just got a call back from a reporter from the Los Angeles Times about this who informed me that they have received many reports of similar problems from other L.A. county residents.

Remember, in my OP, I didn't accuse anyone of attempting to suppress my vote or anything else. I just reported what happened to me, asked if anyone else had encountered the same problem and contacted the press to report it.

I could have dismissed it had it been an isolated incident. It's not enough to reach any conclusions, but the call back from the Times means that there may really be an attempt to suppress Democratic voters.

I asked the reporter to get back to me if this turns out to be the case. If so, it's a very sad day for the U.S. Constitution and the American people. :(

At the time of the crime, who believed us?
We all took a fall on the ride,
When the powers that be had deceived us to leave us the debtor.

And who's watching over who's watching over you?
Tell me who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do?

i'm still trying to figure out why democrats would suppress democrats.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix

I don't know if that was why my registration was deactivated or who did it. I DO know it happened, and it was only because I was diligent enough to pursue it that I'll be allowed to vote next Tuesday. :Q

I'm still trying to figure out why George W. Bush and his criminal cabal of traitors, murderers, torturers, war criminals, war profiteers, general incompetents and Wall Street cronies have not been indicted, tried and convicted for their crimes. :|

I'm also still trying to figure out why any rational American would vote for four more years of the same idiocy that, to date, has squandered thousands of American lives and trillions of dollars and cost us the respect, the credibility and the very honor of our once great nation in the eyes of the world. :(

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

I don't know if that was why my registration was deactivated or who did it. I DO know it happened, and it was only because I was diligent enough to pursue it that I'll be allowed to vote next Tuesday. :Q

I'm still trying to figure out why George W. Bush and his criminal cabal of traitors, murderers, torturers, war criminals, war profiteers, general incompetents and Wall Street cronies have not been indicted, tried and convicted for their crimes. :|

I'm also still trying to figure out why any rational American would vote for four more years of the same idiocy that, to date, has squandered thousands of American lives and trillions of dollars and cost us the respect, the credibility and the very honor of our once great nation in the eyes of the world. :(

the dems control the house and senate. go ask them.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix

PA-fucking-THETIC! Go home and practice before you embarrass yourself further with another display of utter ignorance and denial of the entire past eight years. :roll:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

PA-fucking-THETIC! Go home and practice before you embarrass yourself further with another display of utter ignorance and denial of the entire past eight years. :roll:

hahahah looks like a struck the mother load of the truth. cant handle the truth harv? hahahahah

your blind religious following of the democrat party is just sad sad sad.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

hahahah looks like a struck the mother load of the truth. cant handle the truth harv? hahahahah

No, I'm just watching you pimp the same old motherload of lies you've been spewing for years. :roll:

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Thanks for the headsup Harvey. I'm registered independent in LA county and I haven't been receiving sample ballots and other voter information at my permanent residence, so I was a little scared there for a moment... I checked with the registrar's website and everything seems okay however.