Possible to keep receiving Chrome updates in Vista/XP?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Still have a somewhat older pc running vista and happy with that. As you know chrome just ended updates for XP and Vista. Is there a way to still get updates in vista so to trick chrome somehow or is upgrading the only way?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I don't believe so, unless there is some kludge trick, but that might get wiped out down the road.

Have you considered upgrading to Windows 10? It often performs faster on old hardware than XP or Vista. If the machine works fine as is, I can understand your desire to not upgrade.

You might want to consider switching to Firefox or look at Opera.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
It is an odd move, considering Vista users have another year of extended support, but Google claims "Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple."

https://chrome.googleblog.com/2015/11/updates-to-chrome-platform-support.html

But of course, they can do whatever they want. Many people are saying that the latest Firefox looks much like Chrome, although if you sync a lot of devices, that would be a good reason to stay. But with Chrome being the top browser (even above IE), I don't know that I would want to continue using the browser without the security updates.

I did some searching and so far the only thing I have found is a fix to get the message to go away, but nothing to make the browser update. Oh, and I found a lot of silly people so incredibly mad that their "free" browser isn't updating anymore.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Could i from time to time download the latest chrome and do a full reinstall or won't that work on vista?

I'd still hope there would be maybe something you could change in the flags or something to still get updates on vista. After all, vista isn't that much different from 7.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Could i from time to time download the latest chrome and do a full reinstall or won't that work on vista?

I'd still hope there would be maybe something you could change in the flags or something to still get updates on vista. After all, vista isn't that much different from 7.

My best guess is that they are checking version numbers. And that can be changed from the registry, which is the best place I would recommend trying that since it may allow you to get Chrome updates, but will change back to the correct number on the next reboot, so it won't mess with you getting security updates. If you want to try it, keep in mind this is only a guess, and you should always back up your registry before making any changes (making a system restore point would be a good idea too).

As far as downloading, you would need the full installer, like the one here (most installers just start the process and download the actual program):
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html?system=true&standalone=1
But I seriously doubt it would run on a version of Windows it no longer supports. It would be awesome if you could prove me wrong on this point.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
My best guess is that they are checking version numbers. And that can be changed from the registry, which is the best place I would recommend trying that since it may allow you to get Chrome updates, but will change back to the correct number on the next reboot, so it won't mess with you getting security updates. If you want to try it, keep in mind this is only a guess, and you should always back up your registry before making any changes (making a system restore point would be a good idea too).
If you change in the registry i don't see how it would change back after reboot. What did you mean and what reg change could i try for the above to work?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If you change in the registry i don't see how it would change back after reboot. What did you mean and what reg change could i try for the above to work?

From what I recall, the registry gets it's number from another location (which you don't want to change).

I just googled change windows version number. Here is one hit:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/83058-change-windows-version-with-regedit/
this thread has a link to numbers for versions: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...in-registry-for-each-windows-operating-system

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Last edited:

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
From what I recall, the registry gets it's number from another location (which you don't want to change).

I just googled change windows version number. Here is one hit:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/83058-change-windows-version-with-regedit/
this thread has a link to numbers for versions: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...in-registry-for-each-windows-operating-system
In regedit i changed version 6.0 to 6.1 (which is W7) but that doesn't do anything. I think it needs more to fool chrome. Now what?

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I have another one worth trying. Use Application Verifier by Microsoft to fake the windows version. There's special key for that purpose called HighVersionLie

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This must be what my neighbor was talking about. A friend of his has a Vista desktop, and he said that they said that Chrome was giving them messages about not updating any more, or no more versions for Vista, or something.

I wasn't initially sure what he was talking about, and I thought that perhaps, he meant that Chrome was dropping 32-bit (which they are in Linux).

He was talking about his friend upgrading from Vista to Windows 8.1, which I could easily do for them, but I wasn't entirely sure that they needed that.

I guess that they do, if they want to keep on using Chrome.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I like how XP and Vista are both thrown out at the same time even though Vista came out 6 years later. They are correct that Microsoft basically abandoned Vista as well though.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
I have another one worth trying. Use Application Verifier by Microsoft to fake the windows version. There's special key for that purpose called HighVersionLie
Could you explain a bit how to do this step by step please?

Should this also fool chrome's internal updating or only new installers?

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
I like how XP and Vista are both thrown out at the same time even though Vista came out 6 years later. They are correct that Microsoft basically abandoned Vista as well though.

i don't use chrome and if a person likes chrome then they should try opera which is like chrome. i myself use firefox which i hope will continue to support windows xp for a long time.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Could you explain a bit how to do this step by step please?

Should this also fool chrome's internal updating or only new installers?

This is done per executable.

Install application verifier.
Select file -> add application.
Once it is added, on right side under tests you'll have compatibility and underneath highversionlie.
Right click on properties and set major and minor versions to match Windows 7 Sp1

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Its 2016, move on. XP is dead, Vista is dead, 7 is creaking along, 10 is it. Mystery how this is difficult. Its simple and one less thing to think about.

Oct 16, 1999
Its 2016, move on. XP is dead, Vista is dead, 7 is creaking along, 10 is it. Mystery how this is difficult. Its simple and one less thing to think about.

Thanks for volunteering to buy OS upgrades for everyone. That's really generous of you.

Last edited:

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
This is done per executable.

Install application verifier.
Select file -> add application.
Once it is added, on right side under tests you'll have compatibility and underneath highversionlie.
Right click on properties and set major and minor versions to match Windows 7 Sp1
Neato trick! I will have to keep this one in my bag of tricks, thanks :cool:

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
Thanks for volunteering to buy OS upgrades for everyone. That's really generous of you.

I agree with your comment on this Dude, on his mind we should throw out our good running PC cause the suckers on google Chrome side will not support our good old PC's is ludicrous,screw Google Chrome,there are plenty of browsers and OPS supporting old Machines.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I agree with your comment on this Dude, on his mind we should throw out our good running PC cause the suckers on google Chrome side will not support our good old PC's is ludicrous,screw Google Chrome,there are plenty of browsers and OPS supporting old Machines.

Good running? Some old Core 2 or Sandy Bridge creaking along on old OSs with no or few modern chipset or OS features. Really?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
There's nothing at all wrong with a c2d. That's when computers got "good enough", and is a fine system for anyone that doesn't need a real workhorse for some reason.