Possible to "downgrade" ICQ?

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Let me say this: I am really sick of ICQ 2000b's bloat, and I have been sick of ICQ's bloat in general since ICQ99b (or was it 99a?). Does anyone know how to downgrade ICQ to an older version and still keep your contact list (a must) and if possible your complete event history (not neccessary). Also, are there any less-bloated freeware/shareware versions of ICQ (for Windows)?

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
hrm, thats a toughie..I dont think you'll be able to downgrade and keep your list, unless you can find a program that will help you. there are programs that will backup your list so you can transfer to another pc, or whatever, but I Dont know if it will convert it to 99b format.

and yes, there are several icq clones around for windows, even more for *nix, but I just stick to icq 99b, works like a goddamned champion.

also - what I do periodically is copy my entire icq dir. to another folder and periodically to a cd (keeping my list and ALL my history of events is critical for me). and it works fine like that, when I need to format I just install icq 99b regular, run it, let it register my #, then exit icq and copy over the icq folder with my backup copy, and let it replace everything, and bam, back to where I was.

good luck

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
nope...i tried looking for answers for that a whiles back and found nothing
you're just out of luck, sorry bud

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I actually like 2000a the best. I uninstalled 2000b after it put a fscking ICQ bar in my Outlook!! And I couldn't turn it off! drove me nuts :)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
I know I have 99a if you want it. I might have 99b but I am not sure.

Just so you know if you get an older AOL 5.0 cd it is on there. That is why I know I have 99a. I have a bunch of those cds.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I used a software called QCI to backup my contact list. I think it'll work when you downgrade too.

and I'm using ICQ 98. It's still clean, unbloated.

PM me if you want it.

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
you can't downgrade icq's, you need to reinstall from scratch. problem with backtracking is the DB list has already been upgraded, and you can't use a 2k DB list with a 99. you can use a 99 in a 2k because it'll upgrade for you, but it won't downgrade.

if the backup proggies can convert from 2k to 99 then you shouldn't have a problem, use one of those and reinstall 99. gl, and make sure you back up those DB lists =P

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
ICQ's bloat? What do you mean?

I don't have any problem with ICQ. But, then again, I'm in it to talk to people, not stare at the interface. :) ;)

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
icq's just become so pumped with features the display and interface has become crap. even after removing everything you still get spammed through the banners or when you try and send a file.

the useless features make it much larger then it needs to be, take more resources, and just an overall pain. i'd rather just use it for it's purpose- to chat. not send greeting cards, random search crap, etc. it's become icq on steroids

NaughtyusMaximus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm using 2000b because I haven't bothered to find out if I can downgrade. If you remove all the bloat, I can actually get it looking smaller than 99b. The only bloat that I can't get rid of is the ads when transferring files. Since I don't like the 450 character limit of older version, 2000b is fine for me.

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
i use 2k still because of the optimized history and removed character limit in messaging. the hotkeys are pretty cool as well.

i use the history A LOT and it's damn useful, the old ones took days to load. if you remove everything you can get it down to the core icq window which is tolerable, just that "ICQ2000a" banner up there.

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
I managed to find Icq 98:)

I love it. It lacks a few nice features but takes up like zero resources so I'm happy. I gotta conserve on this machine:)

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting, thanks.

(You got to be kidding if you don't what I mean by ICQ's bloat. It is simply the most bloated application ever developed. In fact, Mirabilis is better than MICROSOFT at creating an application that "keeps up with current technology" , i.e. always takes the same amount of time to load up, because every time I upgrade my computer, they "upgrade" their application!)

What I think I'll do is find the first stable version of ICQ that removed the character limit, that's the only "new feature" that has concerned me in recent years. BTW I think 2000b is so big because of "ICQPhone". Like I said, they're just like Microsoft! Give them a few years and Mirabilis will integrade a 3D Internet Multiplayer Quake clone into the damn program.

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
icq's pretty much been left in the dust now that it's been bought out by AOL. AIM's been getting more and more developed with a new version out every week, ICQ's been simply ignored.

i'm tending to use AIM more and more now, simply because all it has is the simple chat interface which i need. and filesend of course. no greeting card, search engines, random horoscope crap, etc. hell they're both AOL, just gotta pick the lesser of the two evils now =P

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I use ICQ98 Beta DLL 1.26.

You will never find ICQ 2000 on my computer. What a bloated POS.

Just write down everybody in your list, delete, and reinstall an older version of ICQ. Then put everybody back in. Time consuming, but it's better than using that AOLized piece of crap. :)

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
but you also lose your history like that, which i think is one of the greatest features icq has. over aim at least, that's all that's missing.

that and i'm not too thrilled about re-adding 130 names by hand ;)

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
Here's what i did. I had to delete ICQExprs.dll to get it the outlook thing to go away.
Also, I deleted ICQChnl.ocx to make that channel bar go away (makes ICQ load faster, too).

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
God, i HATE ICQ. I've moved totally to AIM now, which i find annoying sometimes, but not as much as ICQ.

The only thing i like about ICQ 2000 is the new chat msg window, where you can scroll through the previous msgs.

AIM has that too, but AIM doesn't have a HISTORY log!

Now, if an IM comes out with both a HISTORY and a good chat interface like AIM, then i'm all set... anybody know of any?

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I uninstalled ICQ2000b and spent about 30 minutes hand-cleaning my registry (damn Mirabilis.. &*(%*&%*) and then I went ahead and installed ICQ99a and rebuilt my contact list. It's much faster now! Loads up in a second! And this was the last stable version that had all the semi-useful features, like color in your messages and no message character limit. I suggest you all use this one. ;)