Possible Shuttle G31 MOBO defect?

liquidsense

Aug 23, 2006
I recently built my first computer starting with a Shuttle G31 barebones, with Intel Yorkfield Q9550, Western Digitgal 640GB Black Caviar, 2x2GB G.Skill, and an ASUS WL-138g V2 PCI wireless adapter. I have a feeling that I might have a mobo issue, but I really am not sure. Is there some way I can diagnose the issue?

I first installed Vista Ultimate 32-bit and had problems with the wireless adapter (i.e., very intermittent connectivity). I also had a strange and inconsistent issue with several of the 6 USB ports - some worked, some did not, some stopped working. Then, the DVI video out got wonky (i.e. - blank screen), and I could not fix the issue after a full day of troublshooting.

I then clean installed with XP Pro 32-bit. The DVI out issues were resolved. But, I am still having major problems with the sireless adapter. It rarely connects (I'm only 10 ft from the router). And when it does connect, it is extremely slow - data transfer rates are only at 1/5 of my Macbook Pro and my other XP based laptop (based on speakeasy.net). The USB prots also are not working properly. Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not. For now, I have all my components in a 1-4 USB 2.0 splitter because only one USB was working properly.

Latest drivers are installed. I ran a HDD diagnostics, benchmark test, and memtest86+. Each of those passed or had acceptable results. I plan on picking up a new wireless adapter tonight from Microcenter or BB, and trying that out.

Does this sound like a mobo issue?

liquidsense

Aug 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Slugbait
Originally posted by: liquidsense
Does this sound like a mobo issue?

Yes. Sounds like classic symptoms of not installing the chipset drivers.

OK. Thanks for the input. I used the disc that came with the Shuttle to install those drivers (I think first before any other drivers). I'll check again. And I am also going to head over to Shuttle's website and make sure that I have the latest in BIOS firmware and chipset drivers.

liquidsense

Aug 23, 2006
So, I've been poking around the Shuttle website regarding my USB issue, and I stumbled upon this FAQ that seems to hit it right on the head.

http://global.shuttle.com/supp...il.jsp?PI=646&PFI=1380

It is titled as "Why all the USB devices become disable after restart from Intel chipset driver installation."

It instructs that I am to "apply this patch before install Intel chipset driver."

My concern is that I installed the chipset drivers first thing after I installed XP Pro. How should I go about installing this patch when I've already installed the chipset driver? Frankly, I'm not even sure how to manipulate chipset drivers in the first place (all I really know is how to go to the device manager to update basic drivers). 100% newb when it comes to this stuff.

If someone could give me a little guidance, I would greatly appreciate it.

(Note: I was able to fix the network adapter issue by buying a much better wireless adapter.)