Possible Hunch I had about HD artifacts and bad transmission with Homerun Prime

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Thought I would share this, and just this disclaimer -- I could still be wrong.

Charter Cable provides my CableTV and Premiums for some four STB's in the house and my CableCard-enabled SilliconDust HD HomeRun PRime. Some few months ago, we had a thread here where people were singing the praises of the SillyDust tuners, but someone observed they occasionally had trouble with artifacts and broken transmission to the HDTV.

I may have remarked that I'd noticed the same occasional problem, and it always occurred on certain channels. (Who watches the news, and wants to live with CNN-HD with lines and artifacts appearing?)

The SillyDust connects to Charter's "Tuner-adapter" using a coax patch cable and a USB cable. I'd noticed that my problem is more serious or less, when I fiddled with the USB cable in its socket. the cable is at least six to eight feet long; was bundled up in a cable tie.

I found an outfit that sells 18" USB patch cables of the usual A/B plug combination with gold-plated contacts. It's only been about 20 minutes, but my problems seemed to disappear.

If I'm later proven wrong and somebody goes out on a limb to order such cables, they're about $2 each and the reseller adds a $9 minimum charge. I'm sure Cables-2-Go would have them. But -- they're cheap.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Thought I would share this, and just this disclaimer -- I could still be wrong.

Charter Cable provides my CableTV and Premiums for some four STB's in the house and my CableCard-enabled SilliconDust HD HomeRun PRime. Some few months ago, we had a thread here where people were singing the praises of the SillyDust tuners, but someone observed they occasionally had trouble with artifacts and broken transmission to the HDTV.

I may have remarked that I'd noticed the same occasional problem, and it always occurred on certain channels. (Who watches the news, and wants to live with CNN-HD with lines and artifacts appearing?)

The SillyDust connects to Charter's "Tuner-adapter" using a coax patch cable and a USB cable. I'd noticed that my problem is more serious or less, when I fiddled with the USB cable in its socket. the cable is at least six to eight feet long; was bundled up in a cable tie.

I found an outfit that sells 18" USB patch cables of the usual A/B plug combination with gold-plated contacts. It's only been about 20 minutes, but my problems seemed to disappear.

If I'm later proven wrong and somebody goes out on a limb to order such cables, they're about $2 each and the reseller adds a $9 minimum charge. I'm sure Cables-2-Go would have them. But -- they're cheap.

Looks like I wasn't wrong. Shorter USB cable with gold contacts got rid of artifacting.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
tuning adapters in themselves are an evil creation of the devil, just allows ultrasaturation of the overburdened transmission pipes. wouldn't surprise me that they gave yo a crappy cable with one that didn't work, particularly since they're so finicky as is.

May 27, 2008
Probably a bad USB cable.

In a similar circumstance I had trouble with a new cable modem initializing. Replacing the long cables with shorter ones I had fixed it. But it put my modem far away from my desk. After some investigating I found out that the cables I have are poorly shielded RG59 coax. Today I replaced the cables with better shielded RG6.

At the same time I replaced the RG59 going to my Homerun Prime with RG6 and HDHomeRun Config reports that my signal strength has improved about 5%. But I rarely get artifacting so it will be difficult to tell if this will make a difference.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I've found my silicondust hdhomerun price is pretty finicky with networking equipment and will often provide a pixelated picture that I fix by swapping cables and NICs randomly until one works. Once I settle on equipment, I have no problems.