Possible HalfLife 3 plot summary posted

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
By Marc Laidlaw, who was a writer and designer for HL1/2. His site is currently being hugged to death, but the original text is in this reddit discussion, and a version "translated" to use the HL character names is here. Seems likely that it's legit and HL3 is probably dead - there's discussion on reddit about how some HL3 NDA's were known to be expiring in 2017.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
that's pretty amazing,
I don't understand why it didn't happen, they could spend 0 with marketing, make it on a tight budget and using source engine, it would still be huge and sell well.

edit: oh yes, better spend their time making 30% of every other game and selling CSGO skins.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
That (plot description) is a pretty sad conclusion IMO.

that's pretty amazing,
I don't understand why it didn't happen, they could spend 0 with marketing, make it on a tight budget and using source engine, it would still be huge and sell well.

edit: oh yes, better spend their time making 30% of every other game and selling CSGO skins.

Even with that theory I'm not sure I understand it. Surely they already had a load of people already employed for game development; AFAIK those skills don't really make for a direct translation into the Steam app development. Surely then they laid the game development team off as they had no more plans to make games, which would have made the news in some respect no matter how much they NDA it? Suddenly loads of CVs going out citing Valve's game development team as their previous source of employment.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I read it.

I would have enjoyed a game with those events in it, definitely. As I was reading I could imagine some of those scenes rendered in-game, how it might have (game)played out, looked, etc. I would have liked it. For what it's worth I'll consider that story canon from now on and thank Mr. Laidlaw for finally giving us some closure, at least as far as the Episodes 'trilogy' is concerned. Had Episode 3 really been made, let's say reasonably soon after the release of Episode 2 (many) years ago... then of course I would have expected that Half-Life 3, or 4, to be the next major non-episodic installment of the franchise (which itself would probably already be years-old too, by now). But yeah, at least with this now I can sort of permanently close the book of that franchise and consider it "done", and move on. There's no need at this point to resume / continue anything.

And Gabe will sleep on both ears for the rest of his life, knowing that he * truly *, this time, doesn't have to do anything about Half-Life anymore.

Goodbye, Half-Life, it was fun knowing you.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It's not the closure I wanted, but I'll take it.

Damn you Valve.:(

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I read it.

I would have enjoyed a game with those events in it, definitely. As I was reading I could imagine some of those scenes rendered in-game, how it might have (game)played out, looked, etc. I would have liked it. For what it's worth I'll consider that story canon from now on and thank Mr. Laidlaw for finally giving us some closure, at least as far as the Episodes 'trilogy' is concerned. Had Episode 3 really been made, let's say reasonably soon after the release of Episode 2 (many) years ago... then of course I would have expected that Half-Life 3, or 4, to be the next major non-episodic installment of the franchise (which itself would probably already be years-old too, by now). But yeah, at least with this now I can sort of permanently close the book of that franchise and consider it "done", and move on. There's no need at this point to resume / continue anything.

And Gabe will sleep on both ears for the rest of his life, knowing that he * truly *, this time, doesn't have to do anything about Half-Life anymore.

Goodbye, Half-Life, it was fun knowing you.

agreed - the setup for the game would have been excellent. i got some nerd chills just reading it!

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
They have all the money in the world yet somehow Valve managed to kill one of the greatest game franchises in history.

There is speculation that Marc's NDA lifted recently after 10 years of the announcement of EP3 so this explains the post.

Shame on Gabe for not doing what Marc did.

Valve is not the same company anymore.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I wonder what happened. It doesn't really make any sense for valve to just drop the game like this. Not enough money for them? Legal dispute between valve and someone? Just odd.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I wonder what happened. It doesn't really make any sense for valve to just drop the game like this. Not enough money for them? Legal dispute between valve and someone? Just odd.

Its a combination of Valve turning into a money printing machine with micro-transactions, and all of the creative people leaving Valve because no one could get shit done, to many chefs in the kitchen, and too many people working on pet projects.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I just wish someone would come out and say "This is why we stopped making Half Life games..."

The fans need some kind of closure other than a plot line posted to the internet. I feel like if George R. R. Martin just didn't finish the books and ignored everyone who asks why, people would finally understand what we've been going through for the last ten years. It's frustrating as hell.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Man reading that was like a punch in the gut. I feel a strange inexplicable sadness that the events described in the story, especially the Borealis, will never make it to game form. A lot of potential there for something visually stunning.

I appreciate that Mr. Laidlaw clearly has his heart in the project still and that last paragraph about not recognizing his fellow researchers feels like a straight up call-out to the creative culture at Valve and an endorsement of a fan made mod to round out the game.

Godspeed HL ep. 3...

Reactions: OCNewbie

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah... Valve stopped being a game developer a long time ago when they realized that the real money is in game sales and delivery.

Even if Half Life 3 sold 10 million copies, it wouldn't make half of Steam's revenue using a busy month.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Valve figured out they they can make more money being a content distributor than doing games.

I am just curious if Valve will do anything about this leak.
Maybe they don't care, and said do whatever?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Valve figured out they they can make more money being a content distributor than doing games.

I am just curious if Valve will do anything about this leak.
Maybe they don't care, and said do whatever?

From what I heard, the game is so overdue at this point that the NDA's for it have expired.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
f Valve. There's plenty of other companies and independent developers who would've GLADLY taken the reigns on Half-Life. then we'd at least have something

i was part of the Source mapping community for years and there were hundreds of talented people just looking for their place in the HL universe.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Well thats easily the most underwhelming thing ive heard in many years. HL2 is my favorite game ever, hands down, and it makes me sad to think Gordon will never get the chance to restore order to earth. Not to mention I need more information on Xen, the G man etc..

If a game is somehow ever made, they better not give Gordon a voice though, the narrated voice for Fallout 4 killed it for me. I read books in my own voice and I play games in my own voice, dont try to out do me if im expecting to hear me.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The only way we get another HL game from Valve is if they make a movie that wraps up the current plotline. JJ Abrams has been rumoured to be interested in a HL or Portal movie for a few years now.

I think we are more likely to see a big budget movie than a game in the future.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
The only way we get another HL game from Valve is if they make a movie that wraps up the current plotline. JJ Abrams has been rumoured to be interested in a HL or Portal movie for a few years now.

I think we are more likely to see a big budget movie than a game in the future.

JJ Abrams? oh balls!

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah, Valve will never make another HL game because A) they make more money selling games and hats, B) they no creative people left.

They should just outsource it - get someone like Gearbox to make it.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
Yeah, Valve will never make another HL game because A) they make more money selling games and hats, B) they no creative people left.

They should just outsource it - get someone like Gearbox to make it.

so no more portal etc?

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
so no more portal etc?

I don't think so.

For one, both Portal and Half-Life are single player games. So, you can't sell people anything besides the game itself.

And, as I said, most of the creative people who worked at Valve have left.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
f Valve. There's plenty of other companies and independent developers who would've GLADLY taken the reigns on Half-Life. then we'd at least have something

i was part of the Source mapping community for years and there were hundreds of talented people just looking for their place in the HL universe.
No. I'd rather have the actual game than something half-assed that a different studio threw together. Every studio has their own style and I'd hate to see HL2: EP3 ran under a different engine in a new style - it just wouldn't be the same game.

Reactions: ZGR

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
heavily disagree... and who said it would be half-assed? Valve's most advanced game was Portal 2 in 2011 and there are other studios who have better writers. you've obviously never played any of the earliest HL mods, or the newer Black Mesa. those guys are very talented, dedicated, and would do just a good a job as Valve or what's left of them.

it won't happen regardless, but there are other developers who use Source and could absolutely do the job.

Reactions: ZGR