Possible for two versions of the same book to have the same ISBN?

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
My E-marketing class uses the book "Electronic Commerce" ISBN 0130193224. The name of the book and ISBN are shown in the syllabus, so I bought it online for a lot cheaper than in the bookstore. The book cover looks exactly the same as shown in the class webpage.

Apparently, there are two versions of this book, with some of the chapters mixed up and at least one chapter missing. I think everyone who bought the book online (via ISBN) should receive the same product as those who bought it at the bookstore.

I was under the impression that ISBNs were different for each edition of a book. If what you say is true, sounds like there's something weird going on.

samgau

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yes.... if its a revision, then it can keep the same ISBN, but if its a new version with significant changes, then it should have a new ISBN....

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: samgau
Yes.... if its a revision, then it can keep the same ISBN, but if its a new version with significant changes, then it should have a new ISBN....

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: samgau

That's kind of silly for the publisher to do this, because consumers expect that the ISBN will provide them with the exact same book.

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Should be changed if there are major revisions done.

where i work at we have a different isbn for most books several times over... one for paperback, hardback, largeprint editions, then different ones for revised editions....

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
Should be changed if there are major revisions done.

where i work at we have a different isbn for most books several times over... one for paperback, hardback, largeprint editions, then different ones for revised editions....

revisions like moving around and creating new chapters should warrant a new ISBN#