Possible faulty HD5850 after a week?

Devilmaycry876

Aug 16, 2007
Hi, this is my second time building my own computer and after a week I thought it went all fair and smoothly, but on week 2 disaster stroke. Suddenly the computer wouldn't post and the memory led light would just stay on. So I thought to myself maybe its the memory so let me try out a different memory. Holy crap, it booted!

Not so fast, happy me. After trying to update my windows everything went to hell and all I could see was Brown lines running vertically down the screen before it shut down. The next week has been riddled with me reinstalling the motherboard and the cpu as well as get new memory. Nothing seemed to work until I put in the video card from my old computer and suddenly it booted. I restored the bios to factory settings again just in case, uninstalled all the drivers, and even manually set the VGA values as the XFX technician told me. Put in the HD5850... nothing. Tried the card in my old computer and still nothing. I don't understand how it can work one day and die the other without anything touching it. I used anti-static wrist-strap and everything.

I am planning to RMA, this week, but as the last ditch effort I thought I would ask you guys about it. If you can help in any way it would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Here is the build:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C7

VGA: XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

Case: COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Well, you pretty much ruled out anything else by trying the card in another rig. So yeah, RMA it.

As to why it was working for a week? No idea, maybe you were lucky it did in the first place. Perhaps a bad solder? A cracked chip? Cooling not touching the card properly? Many things could have happened.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
I got my fair share of hardware failure, and of course RMA will do the job for you.

at least you have XFX warranty :p