Possible cure for most cancers?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: James3shin
Drugs like DCA that can kill cancer cells are nothing new. The biggest problem is getting these drugs to their cancer targets without interacting with our normal cells.

Cough already used in vivo to cure metabolic diseases with no harmful side effects cough.

And I've injected mice with Herceptin loaded into silica based nanotubes to destroy HER2 Breast cancer tumors selectively with great success, I'm talking close to a cure level...will it work in humans exactly as predicted? Probably not. I research this stuff everyday man. You're pumping it up too much. One paper, hell two papers or how many you want to link, stating that DCA is successfully destroying cancer cells in mice is of no importance.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Drugs like DCA that can kill cancer cells are nothing new. The biggest problem is getting these drugs to their cancer targets without interacting with our normal cells.

Cough already used in vivo to cure metabolic diseases with no harmful side effects cough.

Dosage differences for each play a major role...

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

And I've injected mice with Herceptin loaded into silica based nanotubes to destroy HER2 Breast cancer tumors selectively with great success, I'm talking close to a cure level...will it work in humans exactly as predicted? Probably not. I research this stuff everyday man. You're pumping it up too much. One paper, hell two papers or how many you want to link, stating that DCA is successfully destroying cancer cells in mice is of no importance.

Sending PM on a slightly unrelated question.

And this is something that will not be determined until rigorous testing has been completed. We were just discussing in my Med. Micro. Class about how rushed AIDS research can be if it shows any progress. Consider how AIDS progress gets big news and is rushed to be put on the market. I feel as if DCA is getting shot down too early in the game. It seems to have pretty decent potential not to mention the fact that the study seems to give light on some of the ways cancer prevents itself from being killed by the host. I personally am just happy to find something with potential that will not save someone while putting them in the poor house at the same time.

EDIT: Syntaxical in nature.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
My sister just started her Chemo yesterday :(

she has a tumor, to big to operate in her breast dorsal toward the chest cavity wall....

Chemo, Mastectomy, Chemo and radiation this year.

No sentinel nodes are affected...

I am wondering if this would help her...

nice find...
jC

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Chunkee
My sister just started her Chemo yesterday :(

she has a tumor, to big to operate in her breast dorsal toward the chest cavity wall....

Chemo, Mastectomy, Chemo and radiation this year.

No sentinel nodes are affected...

I am wondering if this would help her...

nice find...
jC

Sorry to hear Chunkee, my aunt is also undergoing cancer treatment, her breast cancer came back :( To answer your question, your guess is as good as anyone else. DCA is a new cancer treatment option with many unknowns. It's rough man, I get angry just thinking about cancer sometimes.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: skywhr
How about not quite
welll wellll welllllllllll. Not gloating or anything :), well, just a bit. I find it very enlightening that not only did it from the same source as the original article, but just in time for this discussion. Hmmm... maybe I had something to do with it, heheh. Shhh

skywhr

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Originally posted by: skywhr
How about not quite
welll wellll welllllllllll. Not gloating or anything :), well, just a bit. I find it very enlightening that not only did it from the same source as the original article, but just in time for this discussion. Hmmm... maybe I had something to do with it, heheh. Shhh

sure:p