Possible crack in my distributor cap, is it something I can fix myself?

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
My car (1993 subaru impreza) hesitates and sputters when it's raining out. It will hesitate, and then as the engine reaches around 3000 rpm, it will wake up and lurch forward with full power. As it warms up, after about 5 minutes of driving, the problem goes away. Up to this point, I haven't really done anything other than changing my own oil and some minor cooling system repair work. My question is: is this a difficult undertaking; given what a distributor cap is, it doesn't seem all that complicated. Is there any issue I will run into if I try and go about fixing this myself?

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
yeah, it's really annoying, and now that my muffler is broken (getting fixed this week) it's REALLY obvious.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Could be a cracked distributor cap, but it could also be worn out spark plug wires. If you've never done it before, I'd replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and ignition rotor.
Replacing all of these components is easy, but only remove one wire at a time so you don't get them mixed up!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
yeah, you should be able to do it yourself without too much trouble... while you're at it, you should probably change the plug wires and rotor unless they're fairly new. Don't screw up which wire goes to where!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I disagree with the last two people. I'd think instead about possible the plug wires, plugs, and rotor. Oh yeah - unlike what they said, be sure not to mix up the wires.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Hey Skoorb... does that Sentra leak 1 quart of oil per 3000 miles or does it burn it?

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
So the consensus so far is this is pretty easy, as long as I am careful not to mix up the wires. That's pretty much what I expected to hear, honestly. My car may currently suck, but hey, at least I only conusume half as much oil as Skoorb;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: radioouman
K, just curious. If it is only a valve cover gasket, that would be an easy fix.
Well some mechanic told me it was my rear main seal, but then what did he know? He didn't tell me I didn't need to fix it and I've been going 25k miles since just topping up the oil. Runs like a top. Silly man!!

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
I was wondering if it was the rear main seal too... ALmost every car I've ever owned has a leaking rear main seal. And that isn't worth fixing!! Too much $$!!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: radioouman
I was wondering if it was the rear main seal too... ALmost every car I've ever owned has a leaking rear main seal. And that isn't worth fixing!! Too much $$!!
Yeah $500 or a bottle of oil every 2 months? Hmm, what to choose, what to choose :)