Possible BF3 info leaked!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: BD2003
I'd like it if it took less than 8 bullets to make someone so much as flinch.

Use the PKM, which is so unbalanced that it's does more damage than a sniper when you are prone.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
Originally posted by: BD2003
I'd like it if it took less than 8 bullets to make someone so much as flinch.

Use the PKM, which is so unbalanced that it's does more damage than a sniper when you are prone.

if it hits anything, maybe.

you can be point blank with an enemy (yes prone) and unloading into them and they'll still kill you.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah I hate that as well. I feel alot of it is latency, and that whole deal. What I don't like is the lack of WS support. I had to tamper tamper with the files to make it do "semi" WS support.
Hopefully, if this BF3 shit is legitimate, they have WS support.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Yea, call me when it's confirmed that BF3 has Widescreen support.

I've ignored all the little issues with BF2 because it's a fairly fun game, but I cannot stand the fact that there's absolutely no widescreen support.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
So an update: EA has not denied the validity, but at the same time has not confirmed anything.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TehMac
So an update: EA has not denied the validity, but at the same time has not confirmed anything.

No offense, but you dont exactly need a crystal ball to know Battlefield 3 is coming soon.

Theyve been making Madden for almost 20 years. Theyve been making NFS for almost 10.

This is EA we're talking about here. A Battlefield 3 is guaranteed, and so is a BF4, BF5, BF6, BF7 and BF8.

EA not denying rumors of a sequel is like a woman not denying she has a vagina.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
LOL, yes yes, I know, but what I was getting at was that they didn't deny these details were false; they just said "wink wink" essentially.

yes I know you don't need a crystal ball to say that. ;)

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
I'm hoping Frontlines Fuel of War is competitive, so that EA has more competition, other than their own games.

it is. a buddy of mine is beta testing it, and even in the extremely early beta form it is now, it will be better than bf2.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Wow, people get really nasty about video games (see: this thread).

The game sounds great! I had a lot of fun with BF2, I hope to have a lot of fun with BF3! :)

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I know a lot of folks had issues with BF2 but I never have.

I started playing it in 2005 and have yet to have the game go haywire on me. Back on 05 it didn't run as well on my old computer but it still was solid for me.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
BF2 has a lot of quirkiness to it, but I never completely stopped playing until I had to uninstall the damned thing because it didn't work. I never bothered to reinstall...

montypythizzle

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
All of you are so uninformed/ignorant.
EA does not make the game nor makes patches for it.
It does distribute the patches and markets the game.
Dice made the fucking game as well as "patched" it.

I am guessing Dice never read the many BF2 forums and released a patch to fix many problems, the big ones being hitbox problems (J-10 and other planes heatsources not matching up with the hitboxes, and just player models being off in general), map glitches, and G36E having a slight advantage.

FFS, CS 1.6 felt more buggy than BF2 and it was best online FPS for years, and still has many people playing it.

As for the unlocks, all your dumbasses needed to do is have a friend play a round of SF on your account, and you would have 2 unlocks per rank and have a choice of the SF weapons.

As for the native WS problems, blame Dice. (after applying the tweaks you could barely notice the stretching anywhere except on text and the mini-map)

Also, I was usually 1st place in every single round of BF2, be it in air or on the ground, play with some mates and communicate on Vent or built in VOIP (which didn't work often with certain sound cards) and have some kind of ability and you will "prawn" n00bs.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: montypythizzle

I am guessing Dice never read the many BF2 forums and released a patch to fix many problems, the big ones being hitbox problems (J-10 and other planes heatsources not matching up with the hitboxes, and just player models being off in general), map glitches, and G36E having a slight advantage.

FFS, CS 1.6 felt more buggy than BF2 and it was best online FPS for years, and still has many people playing it.

As for the unlocks, all your dumbasses needed to do is have a friend play a round of SF on your account, and you would have 2 unlocks per rank and have a choice of the SF weapons.

As for the native WS problems, blame Dice. (after applying the tweaks you could barely notice the stretching anywhere except on text and the mini-map)

Also, I was usually 1st place in every single round of BF2, be it in air or on the ground, play with some mates and communicate on Vent or built in VOIP (which didn't work often with certain sound cards) and have some kind of ability and you will "prawn" n00bs.

All of you? Give me a break. I doubt you'll last long around here.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003

my issue is more w/ how ea/dice (now ea since i believe ea bought dice) handled trauma studios (now kaos). imho that is an issue that causes me to not buy another ea game period, and that won't be too hard imho

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
A third in a series that actually breaks new ground would be unheard of.
lets see if EA is up to the task. By the way no i don't count BF2142. It may as well have been a MOD.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
It sounds to me like you haven't been playing the game, recently. Lots of servers have that, but lots of servers don't. I bookmark servers that tend to punish/eschew that kind of behaviour. I also play on server maps where the maps do not encourage that kind of activity.

At any rate, I would further point out that alot of this is the demographic playing the game, and yes, retards are encouraged on the internets, so this type of shit is to be expected.

Only one recent MP game comparable to this one that has come out is BF2142, so what it simply boils down to is that there is no choice.

And ETQW is crap.

Nope. I stopped playing long ago. It doesn't matter if all problems have been corrected and it is the most awesome game ever now. When it released it was buggy, full of spyware, had annoying gameplay, the community fragments with every expansion and overall the manufacturer just loves to bite the hand that feeds it. I'm tired of the crap that comes with BF so I left the franchise.

I'm done with the BF series for all time. This would be doubly sad if the next game turns out to be awesome..I might be missing out but I won't know it. If it turns into another ball of frustration you be sure to enjoy that!

ETQW rocks btw. I'm amazed by how well that game runs even at 19x12. Gameplay is a blast too. TF2 is even better. It's one of the most polished games I've seen released in a while.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
It sounds to me like you haven't been playing the game, recently. Lots of servers have that, but lots of servers don't. I bookmark servers that tend to punish/eschew that kind of behaviour. I also play on server maps where the maps do not encourage that kind of activity.

At any rate, I would further point out that alot of this is the demographic playing the game, and yes, retards are encouraged on the internets, so this type of shit is to be expected.

Only one recent MP game comparable to this one that has come out is BF2142, so what it simply boils down to is that there is no choice.

And ETQW is crap.

Wierd, it plays better with 1 patch than BF does with 9.

No lag, working server browser, working hitboxes, real objectives, clearly better maps, balanced vehicles and aircraft, no broken kits, very clan friendly gameplay.

Hit me up with the quake wars downsides sometime, id love to hear them, other than " i cant buy a gamepad and fly around in a jet for 270 kills a round anymore ".

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: lozina
Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.

It's crap like this which turned me off the BF series. I want to play casually whenever I feel like and be on a level playing field. Why award players who spend 18 hours a day playing the game with "uber items" which give them an advantage? Don't the experiences/tactics you learn when playing 18-hours a day enough of an advantage?

Battlefield 1942 will remain the best.

i have to agree i played 2 and after that vowed never again to buy anything EA has a hand in, and im still going strong

unlocks/achievements suck for the reasons you mentioned, IMO shoudl either not be there or have no change at all on gameplay, IE just be a char skin

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

By "all of you" I think I can assume you mean "me" so I'll respond.

I happen to work for a software company and I can give you a little clue how it works..

EA provides tech support for the game. The developer (dice) does not have the manpower nor infrastructure to conduct support. Although devs write patches the bulk of bugs are reported back by the support teams. Patches take time away from current projects so devs won't do it at all unless pressured by the publisher. EA also provides the timelines since they are basically footing the bill.

In a nutshell if you have a shitty publisher it can wreck a good Dev team. They introduce problems by putting money ahead of quality then make the problems worse by doing a poor job of getting bugs filtered up to the devs (who have little time to fix them due to the crappy timeline on the *new* project)

If you are somehow implying that Dice sucks and EA doesn't then you are sadly mistaken. Dice's first game (1942) when they had their own timeline until they chose a publisher turned out far better than anything since EA became involved. EA also has a history of this crap with other developers.

Regarding EA/Dice "fixing things" see my other post. Basically it no longer matters what they fix since they didn't get it right the first time and I'm no longer playing because of it.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: AcanthusHit me up with the quake wars downsides sometime, id love to hear them, other than " i cant buy a gamepad and fly around in a jet for 270 kills a round anymore ".

I don't vehicle or aircraft whore, I'm a ground pounder, thru and thru, so I don't take kindly to your condescending attitude, so your attitude is unfounded from there. Battlefield 2 is pretty stable, the patch sucks because it nerfed a lot of Helo guns, which is dumb, they should have nerfed the jets.

ETQW sucks because it's just bland, I didn't feel any need to play it, it basically felt like BF2, because the factions seem basically the same.

Dec 21, 2006
ETQW sucks because it's just bland, I didn't feel any need to play it, it basically felt like BF2, because the factions seem basically the same.

I thought in BF2, the factions were identical (other than maybe vehicles)? I haven't played BF2 (stopped at 1942), so I wouldn't know.

Also, the factions in ET:QW are actually quite diverse- as diverse as they get without sacrificing balance, IMO. There are alot of little quirks; for example, the Strogg take longer to revive and take longer to enter into their gunsight. However, they are also able to make spawn hosts (which are extremely underutilized) and carry extra grenades. IMO, ET:QW has a very well rounded pair of teams which differ in enough ways for one to form a personal preference, without causing huge balance issues.