Possible BF3 info leaked!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'd be one of the first to buy this. I think Battlefield 2 is kick ass. One thing that does piss me off is they stopped the stats tracking for BF2 though; it's not like I cared so much about showing them off (haha, I'm not that good anyway) but it is a neat feature and interesting to see how you improve.

Thanks for the info, I'll be lookin forward to more info in the coming months.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
I would like a map that was actually dark and I could use nightvision. That would be fun :D. CS:S has nightvision..... but there are no night maps :\

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Fuck Battlefield.

QFT.
liek anyone doubted they would make it anyway. come on, EA is a company that thrives off of sequels.

LordGestle

Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: TehMac
Engineer is AT, probably.

Originally posted by: LordGestle
* Will ship with 8 maps, each supporting up to 40-players per team
No thanks. I can imagine the marketting "incluing 24 muliplayer maps" which will be these 8 just reduced to 3 different sizes.
I miss the days of getting a map or two for free with a major patch. Made the 200mb+ patch worth something.

Out of curiosity, did you read what it quoted?

Yep. Still at 40 player per side, the 8 maps are concerning to me. Usually only 3 of them are routinely played, and to get any additional maps you need to purchase the expansion packs.
So it doesn't matter if you play 80 players, or 16. You will be playing the same map just different sizes. So in the bigger picture you are back to only 8 maps which is a little on the low side for my available funds.
It was nice with 1942 to get a few for free with the updates. With BF2 I maybe saw 1, possibly 2, because they were sponsored (ie Core Duo was the ad on one of them).

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Or a re-do of Starsiege: Tribes. That game kicked ass.

Smartest man on these forums! I still play Tribes weekly.

What do you bet, they still dont have working WS for BF3? Id say its a pretty good bet they wont. Which would be pathetic.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I love BF2, but this seems like it is exactly the same as BF2. Why would I buy a new one?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU
I love BF2, but this seems like it is exactly the same as BF2. Why would I buy a new one?

because its EA, you won't be able to play the old one any more. all the sheeple will playing the new and improved BF game! and duh, its either BF27 or NFS55 or NFL1766 or

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
would like it not to be mec versus nato again.

I think I may skip over this one. BF2 was fun as hell, but it did get old after awhile.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Yep. We really need a good futuristic shooter. ET: QW seems alright, but the vehicle combat doesn't feel quite good enough. Maybe UT3 will be better. Like I said, I would really like another good mech game. We haven't had one for the PC since Mechwarrior 4!

It's crap like this which turned me off the BF series. I want to play casually whenever I feel like and be on a level playing field. Why award players who spend 18 hours a day playing the game with "uber items" which give them an advantage? Don't the experiences/tactics you learn when playing 18-hours a day enough of an advantage?
The thing that pissed me off in BF2 was the Special Forces unlocks. They were incredibly overpowered (grenade launcher+scope, super accurate, super high dmg, sniper rifle is practically silenced), but they were only available to people who bought the expansion. I can kick ass with a G36 or a G3, but when I run into someone wielding a G36E or F2000, I get nearly insta-killed. It's ridiculous.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
futuristic shooter = bleh.

This doesn't look all that promising either. :/

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
No Unreal Engine 3, no Acanthus purchasing game.

EA licensed it, they must be using it on some other title.

Working hitboxes or bust!!

(goes back to playing quake wars)

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I think what irritates me is that everyone is jumping on this game, and its only a rumor, they haven't played it, and yet you people compare to bash it. Why don't you read my post? I pointed out that EA made a game that was acclaimed on both PCs and Consoles simultaneously.

And I don't know if the UE3 would be so great for rendering huge maps with 80 players. That said, 80 players isn't much of an improvement over 64.

I'm hoping Frontlines Fuel of War is competitive, so that EA has more competition, other than their own games.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: lozina
Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.

It's crap like this which turned me off the BF series. I want to play casually whenever I feel like and be on a level playing field. Why award players who spend 18 hours a day playing the game with "uber items" which give them an advantage? Don't the experiences/tactics you learn when playing 18-hours a day enough of an advantage?

Battlefield 1942 will remain the best.

QFT! Unlocks are for kids games.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.

I've seen this alot, so I wont say you're alone, but at the same time, I find players who tend to be very good will have negated this advantage, because no gun is perfect, its not like these are uber guns, and will destroy shit.

I think the unlocks were reasonably well done. I have a similar gripe, but there didn't seem to me to be this huge overwhelming difficulty.

What grates me, I suppose is that its just NATO vs. M.E.C.

This means a combination of US and British shit stacked together versus what is essentially soviet weaponry.

My second gripe is that so far its just OS X (WTF They better have optimized this game well!) and Vista (Same thing) and no XP.

They better have destructible environments. Better. As in if they don't, no buy.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

QFT! Unlocks are for kids games.

I like unlocks, but only if everyone can get them. It gives me something to work towards, which I like. And the regular unlocks for BF2 weren't overpowered - The M95 isn't as accurate as the M24, the G3 has no grenade launcher, the G36 has no red dot, the PKM is super loud, the L85A1 isn't very accurate at long range, the DAO-12 isn't very powerful per-shot, and...well, the Jackhammer just kicks ass; it runs out of ammo kinda fast from blowing people to shreds though.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, these guns weren't uber, they were cool, and something you get. My ideal MP game would be letting a guy create his own class/customize his weapons but have all his abilities unlocked and ready to go.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TehMac
I think what irritates me is that everyone is jumping on this game, and its only a rumor, they haven't played it, and yet you people compare to bash it. Why don't you read my post? I pointed out that EA made a game that was acclaimed on both PCs and Consoles simultaneously.

And I don't know if the UE3 would be so great for rendering huge maps with 80 players. That said, 80 players isn't much of an improvement over 64.

I'm hoping Frontlines Fuel of War is competitive, so that EA has more competition, other than their own games.

I think its completely fair. we've had several iterations of the game so far and they've all pretty much sucked ass and were just clones of each other. now other companies are making games with the same shitty gameplay and style (crysis, frontlines, ET:QW, etc).

I'm tired of the BF clones because they all suck.

when i first heard about BF2, it sounded awesome. huge map, lots of people, vehicles, etc.
when i played it, it doesn't work. takes too long to get anywhere, eevryone steals the vehicles and don't allow you to even hitch a ride, people look like ants, so you can't see them until they're on top of you, and by then, you're halfway dead.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
It sounds to me like you haven't been playing the game, recently. Lots of servers have that, but lots of servers don't. I bookmark servers that tend to punish/eschew that kind of behaviour. I also play on server maps where the maps do not encourage that kind of activity.

At any rate, I would further point out that alot of this is the demographic playing the game, and yes, retards are encouraged on the internets, so this type of shit is to be expected.

Only one recent MP game comparable to this one that has come out is BF2142, so what it simply boils down to is that there is no choice.

And ETQW is crap.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Working AA is nice though.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BD2003
I'd like it if it took less than 8 bullets to make someone so much as flinch.

its weird, because when i played BF2, I would constantly die in like 3 hits, but yet i shoot a whole clip at point blank range and the other guy was still alive.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Working AA is nice though.

So is headshots counting as such, and not going into "phantom cannot be hit in anywhere but the limbs" mode when jumping.